New To Forum - Need Long Range Rifle Advice

338Edge is a 300RUM necked up to 338. Sends the 300grain SMK at 2800+fps. That's a TON of energy waaaaaaaaaay down range.

You're right, a 338 is rather expensive because you need a custom barrel and custom dies. If you want to stay in the 'factory' cartridges, look at the 300RUM. Sends 210grain bullets at 3000+fps.

I think I said it before, that my next build (in the works right now) is a 300RUM.

By building a BIG magnum, your arsenal would be 'complete'...

308...for targets, varmints as far as you can see. Can also be used on deer.

270wsm....great for deer sized game at long range and elk to 500-600 yards (maybe farther??).

BIG magnum.....everything including elk at long range.

A Big Magnum sounds interesting. I used to have a 7.21 Lazzeroni Firebird (Traded) that was fun but a real barrel burner.

Would a Savage Long action be all that is necessary or do they make a Magnum action?

Savage also make a 6.5-284,that would be my choice,it matches the 300 wsm 185's out to 1000,good luck with your choice.

OK, here is my complete centerfire bolt gun line-up. Based on this, tell me what NEW caliber I need for long range. gun)

.22-.250 Ruger Varmint
.25-06 Rem. Sendero
.270 WSM Tikka T3 Lite
.308 Remington Police
.308 Ruger 77 Police
.30-06 Pre 64 Winchester Model 70

if the rem polce 308 is class bedded and heavy barrel, thats all you need.
with match ammo and a good scope all it needs is a good shooter.

OK, here is my complete centerfire bolt gun line-up. Based on this, tell me what NEW caliber I need for long range. gun)

.22-.250 Ruger Varmint
.25-06 Rem. Sendero
.270 WSM Tikka T3 Lite
.308 Remington Police
.308 Ruger 77 Police

find a nice long action rifle with a very long magazine well (most are too short to be of much use). Chamber it for .338-06AI. Loaded ammo can be had right now, and soon enough Weatherby and Savage are going to chamber guns in that caliber (.338-06 A-Square). Savage is going to make a slight change and put their name on the cartridge, and the rest will be history. The Savage long action like the MK. V has a long enough magazine to really aid the hand loader. Otherwise I'd go with a generic .338 Winchester
gary

Savage also make a 6.5-284,that would be my choice,it matches the 300 wsm 185's out to 1000,good luck with your choice.

without question I'd go with a plain jane 6.5-06 long before I'd think about the 6.5-.284. Much better barrel life, and just as accurate. Plus in the long run it's cheaper to shoot. All you gotta do is neck up 25-06 brass or neck down .270 brass. Both are easy to find, and it's a very simple operation.
gary

A Big Magnum sounds interesting. I used to have a 7.21 Lazzeroni Firebird (Traded) that was fun but a real barrel burner.

Would a Savage Long action be all that is necessary or do they make a Magnum action?

I'm not that familiar with exactly what Savage produces. You might want to check with them directly to see if they have a 'regular' long-action and a 'magnum'.

FYI...Remington 700 long-actions work for both standard and magnum cartridges.

You can cross the 338-06 and 338 win mag off the list,about a 100 better calibers,for Long range hunting.

.22-.250 Ruger Varmint
.25-06 Rem. Sendero
.270 WSM Tikka T3 Lite
.308 Remington Police
.308 Ruger 77 Police

You've got the small and medium calibers covered. What's missing is a 30cal or larger magnum of some sort.

300wsm
300saum (remington short action ultra mag)
300win mag
300lapua mag
300rum
338win mag
338lapua mag
338rum
338Edge

I'm not that familiar with exactly what Savage produces. You might want to check with them directly to see if they have a 'regular' long-action and a 'magnum'.

FYI...Remington 700 long-actions work for both standard and magnum cartridges.

how about a full length mag case?
gary

You've got the small and medium calibers covered. What's missing is a 30cal or larger magnum of some sort.

300wsm
300saum (remington short action ultra mag)
300win mag
300lapua mag
300rum
338win mag
338lapua mag
338rum
338Edge

It does seem like I am lacking something in a .30 or bigger magnum doesn't it?

I have always been entrigued by the .338 Lapua, but don't think a Savage action will work for that, will it? :rolleyes:

I keep coming back to that .300WSM for some reason. Hmmmmmlightbulb

I came here for you guys to help me make a decision on 1 rifle, and now I find out I need 3 or 4 more rifles! :D

I can't wait to start talking about Optics! :D

It does seem like I am lacking something in a .30 or bigger magnum doesn't it?

Yes.

TORCHRIDER said:
I have always been entrigued by the .338 Lapua, but don't think a Savage action will work for that, will it? :rolleyes:

Savage does not currently chamber a rifle in 338lapua, but their rifles will certainly handle it.

TORCHRIDER said:
I keep coming back to that .300WSM for some reason. Hmmmmmlightbulb

300wsm is awesome especially if you reload. In terms of the list I gave you, the 300wsm can perform as well if not better than the 300win mag and the 300saum.

TORCHRIDER said:
I came here for you guys to help me make a decision on 1 rifle, and now I find out I need 3 or 4 more rifles! :D

Welcome to the addiction!

TORCHRIDER said:
I can't wait to start talking about Optics! :D

oh god..please no!

Other calibers to consider are the big 7mm's

7mm Remington Magnum
7mm Remington Ultra Magnum
7mm STW
7mm Allen Magnum

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.