long range rifle advice

Buy the scope and rings now. Mount it on your best factory rifle with an EGW 20MOA rail and start practicing while you wait 6 months, a year, or more to have the rifle built.

Here's my list given your parameters and based on several years of long range experience. Others will have different preferences and so will you as time goes on.

caliber - 300 Win Mag
action - Stiller TAC-300 w/ Stiller bottom metal and AICS magazine
barrel - Bartlein, 29" medium/light Palma contour, 1:10"
brake - Holland QD
stock - Manners MCS-T4a
trigger- jewell HVRT
scope- nightforce NXS 5.5-22, NP-R2, nightforce 20MOA, nightforce rings

Alternatively, you may be a candidate for a Gunwerks rifle that's already doped, tuned up and ready to shoot with their custom loaded ammo.

-- richard

caliber - 300 Win Mag
action - Stiller TAC-300 w/ Stiller bottom metal and AICS magazine
barrel - Bartlein, 29" medium/light Palma contour, 1:10"
brake - Holland QD
stock - Manners MCS-T4a
trigger- jewell HVRT
scope- nightforce NXS 5.5-22, NP-R2, nightforce 20MOA, nightforce rings
Good list, except I'd change the twist to a 1:11 if you'll use 200 to 220 grain bullets or a 1:12 for 180 to 200 grain ones.

Good list, except I'd change the twist to a 1:11 if you'll use 200 to 220 grain bullets or a 1:12 for 180 to 200 grain ones.

That makes good sense.

But, I had in mind 230gr Berger OTMs. They work well out of my 1:10. And, I think Brian Litz (Applied Ballistics) sells premium loaded ammo.

I get a lot more enjoyment out of 6br and 6.5x284. There are just a lot of intangibles that a new guy may not be able to relate to until he's shot long range in a variety of conditions.

-- richard

But, I had in mind 230gr Berger OTMs. They work well out of my 1:10. And, I think Brian Litz (Applied Ballistics) sells premium loaded ammo.
Then by all means, use a 1:10 twist.

David Tubb shot a .308 with a 1:8 twist barrel shooting Sierra 250 HPMK's out at 2150 fps back in 1987 in the Palma Team Tryouts. Incredibly high in two ways, the arc in their trajectory and scores on paper. 'Twas almost like lobbing rounds from a mortar a thousand yards down range.

That makes good sense.

I get a lot more enjoyment out of 6br and 6.5x284. There are just a lot of intangibles that a new guy may not be able to relate to until he's shot long range in a variety of conditions.

-- richard

My mistake. I thought Litz was selling 230 OTM loaded ammo. He has several other choice, but not that one.

You do have a 300 win mag, so learning how to reload for that gun would be best I think. Once you get good at that, probably a couple hundred reloads or so, you will be able to understand more about what to build. You may consider 5-600 yards long range, which in my opinion is. Taking game over 800 yards does take great skills and lots of practice and buy a top notch scope for the 300 win mag. If you don't end up liking reloading or long distances you can sell both and get the bulk of your cash back. Buy an RCSB reloading package and a nightforce scope. You can't go wrong with that strategy and you are half way there. There is a good article on reloading and the best RCSB starter kit to buy in "Chuckhawks." I like what they write over there, look it up.

Another thought, there is a recent review about the new Browning x-bolt 308 varmint gun that is a tack driver in the review section here. Read it, the 308 is about the easiest to reload and there is good over the counter hunting and match ammo everywhere. It would also be a great out of the box long range practice gun. You can never have enough 308's. I consider the 308 win the best practice caliber re-loading or not for practice.

2cents

Dont get discouraged shooting 1000 yards is not as hard as it is made out to be. In sniper School every student is handed a rifle that is used by different shooters every class one bolt action M24 and one M110 SASS AR 10 platform. And Ammo that while it is Match grade With it being army Ammo It is defenitly not a hand load. Every student Qualifies out to 1000 meters with both guns And out to 1800 meters with a .50 cal. It is all about the right fundamentals and collecting data on you're gun. Seeing as how you are an experienced shooter you should have no problem getting to you're goal. But in my opinion I say 300 WM and set farther goals.

Given you want to shoot out to 800-1000 yards and hunt medium to big game, I believe that could rule out the 308. While, it can be done, it is not an optimal caliber for your requirement. That leaves the other two calibers, the 300 Win Mag having an edge for large game. Your rifle components look fine, I'd lean towards the Kreiger barrel. IMHO you are making too big a deal about reloading. My buddies and I chipped in and bought a $6 Lee loader in 1969 that produced loads that couldn't be touched by factory ammo. We just read the instructions. Sure you can shoot long range with factory match ammo, but it's not all that it's cracked up to be, it can be inconsistent. You also have to hope it shoots in your barrel. For LR(800-1000 yards) hunting, your bullet choice with factory loads will be limited to lower BC bullets.

So.....here we have someone that DOESN'T KNOW JACK about shooting LR....but he....."begs to differ"!!

Me thinks I'm through responding to these folks!!:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.