New to forum. Need advice on long range rifle setup.

JohnnyReb

Hi. I'm new to the forum, and I am just getting into long range hunting. I have wanted to hunt/shoot at long range for a while, but I never had a place where I could hunt anything (mainly deer) beyond about 80 yards, so I had no reason for any long range setup for hunting. I am a decent shot, and routinely shoot my ar-15 out to 400+ yards unsupported.

I just got on a hunting lease in another state that has large numbers of deer, and wild hogs on it, also I will have the opportunity to take shots at almost any distance. So now that I have a reason to get a long range rifle setup, I am looking into purchasing a rifle in the near future. I have already decided on getting something chambered in 7 mm Rem Mag, and I want to keep the rifle under $1k (before optics) I really like the looks of the Remington model 700 long range, but I have heard some less than stellar reviews on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywR5yQXHZ3I

I would like to hear some of your experienced opinions on this. Is this my best option? could I spend my money better elsewhere?

I've owned a lot of different brands... These days I stick to Rem 700's and Browning A-Bolts for my centerfire rifles.

Take a chance on the 700 LR... Swap in a Timney and re-torque the action screws to 65 inch-pounds, and you should have a shooter.

Hand loading ammo also helps significantly in accuracy and consistency, if you don't already reload your own ammo.

Thanks for the input guys.
I started another thread on this subject, because for some reason this one didn't show up here for over a day and a half, so I posted another one. (I think my acct had to be verified by a moderator). So if your'e wondering why I have 2 threads on the same subject, this is why.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.