New 308 And Down To Two

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by EDJ, Sep 7, 2012.

1. EDJ

EDJ New Member

Well, I've got a need/want for a 308 rifle since I've never owned one. I live in Tennessee and hunt here and in Kentucky where shots will be no farther than 300-400 yards on a very rare occasion. Most shots will be 100 or under. This will be my go to whitetail rifle and hunting is from stands. I don't shoot competitive.
    I was looking at rifles and two really caught my eye but they are two different beasts. The Remington 700 Milspec 5R and the Thompson Center Icon Weathershield. The Rem has a $1000 tag and the TC has a $650 tag. I think both will be fine for stand hunting but I'm having a hard time talking myself into spending the extra money for the 5R. I like the idea of the heavy barrel and that not too many of them are made but.......
    I have a new Monarch 3.5x10x42 BDC to go on which ever one I end up with. What do you think??

2. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

I think you ought to look at the Savage 11 LWH chambered in 308 as well, at least my personal opinion. I have one and it's light and shoots very well with factory ammunition.......

3. Gary Kaney

Gary Kaney Well-Known Member

Another one to consider is the FN TSR. I bought one last spring and really like. Maybe just the fact that it's the first rifle i've owned that has a 20" barrel.

4. submoa

submoa Well-Known Member

Plus one, also look at the savage 11 long range hunter both great guns

5. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

If you're going to be stand hunting, the 5R has more capability than you need. Look at the Remington SPS.

6. Rem700

Rem700 Well-Known Member

+1, if your not going to buy the 5r.

7. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Well-Known Member

If 400 is your max shot and you mostly treestand hunt I would definitely get a 20" barrel. I would look at the Savage 10 pc or a Remington 700 AAC. I would lean toward the savage because it comes with the trigger adjustable down to 1.5 lbs.

8. snowpro440

snowpro440 Well-Known Member

The savage is what I went with on the .308, the 5r Remmington would be better than a rem factory barrel for sure .

9. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

gonna have to agree with those that said go Savage. Mine started out as a stock package series gun, and will soon be a modded out semi-custom build, not that there was anything wrong with a gun that shot MOA or less on a regular basis, I just wanted to up the percentage of sub MOA shooting

10. Nomad

Nomad Banned

Just bought a Tikka T3 308 this year WOW smooth action and it shoot a one hole group..
    Its just a standard model 22" barrel, have not shot past200yards but would put down a deer
    at 400 yards easy....
    You have the right idea for scope power.....
    Luck to you on your choice in rifles.......