New to .308... Help me with advice

I am blown away by the gun!!! Shot three different types of ammo through her this morning and all three are crazy, good accurate. Even the cheapo, FMJ 147gr.... yeah, 5 rounds in a row in the bullseye at 100 yards. I also shot Hornady 168 Match and Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr. These last two were making the same hole ..... but I am guessing I will see them really shine out past 500 yards.

I had a blast and love shooting the gun. Can't wait to go back to the range! Next bench I will sit is the 200-600 yard, steel range.

hjnX4oF.png

I am blown away by the gun!!! Shot three different types of ammo through her this morning and all three are crazy, good accurate. Even the cheapo, FMJ 147gr.... yeah, 5 rounds in a row in the bullseye at 100 yards. I also shot Hornady 168 Match and Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr. These last two were making the same hole ..... but I am guessing I will see them really shine out past 500 yards.

I had a blast and love shooting the gun. Can't wait to go back to the range! Next bench I will sit is the 200-600 yard, steel range.

hjnX4oF.png
Congrats on getting a shooter! Let us know how your journey progresses.

I love my 308 but I don't regard it as a 1k rifle. Up to and including 600 yards great, but beyond that doubtful. Not saying it can't be done but I don't think it's the best tool for the job. For what you are looking to do I would have opted for 6.5 creedmore personally.

I think that your biggest challenges will be two fold. 1. 20" barrel isn't going to help you in the 1K shooting. With a .308 you need all the FPS you can get. 2. You are going to really heat up in a PD town when it's 100° and the sun beating down on the gun and ammo.

That being said I would go 200 grains or better to get the BC up there. You should get really close to your mark. The 8 twist will be your friend there ,but the wind your enemy.

For your Prairie Dog / Fun Load, I would suggest you consider the Berger 115 Grn.F B Target Bullets. I shoot the Bergers with 40.0 grns of 3031 Powder, In Lapua cases. Factory Stock Savage 308 , with a 36 X Sightron Scope. Heavy Gun, Light Load, Light Recoil. Just Fun . You Might Like that Load , too.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1813SAVAGE 308 115 Grn Berger 3 shot.JPG
    IMG_1813SAVAGE 308 115 Grn Berger 3 shot.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Right now, all my reloading gear is stored away, waiting on my barn to be built, where I will build an awesome reloading room. Until then, I am shooting factory ammo.

For factory ammo, what do you all think of this ammo?

Federal 308 Win Ammunition Gold Medal GM308BH185 185 Grain Berger Hybrid Open Tip Match

For factory ammo, what do you all think of this ammo?

Federal 308 Win Ammunition Gold Medal GM308BH185 185 Grain Berger Hybrid Open Tip Match

Same principle as reloading—before buying a case of any type of ammo, I would try several different factory loadings to see which my barrel likes best. Some will just be in tune with your barrel better than others.

I have a friend whose barrel would should cheap SP hunting factory loads better than most match loads. I've got one that will shoot (much cheaper) Magtech Match better than FGMM.

Oh my goodness... I am so happy that she is a shooter!!!

I got to the range about 10am and shot up the rest of the box of Hornady Match. It's not bad, but I think this gun deserves better. I was getting right at 1" groups at a 100 yards. I then switched over to the Federal Match 175gr Sierra's and this is my best 3 round group. Once again, at 100 yards. (I took three guns... would shoot three rounds and rotate to the next gun.)

After I finished the 175gr box, I was about to start on the 185gr box with the Berger bullets, but a front blew in and the winds went to 20mph+, so I packed up and left. Supposed to snow tomorrow, so I will try to get back to the range next Monday or Tuesday, but this time I will sit the 200 yard range.

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 2.55.02 PM.png

If your twist is 1-12 the 168 or lighter
If your twist is 1-10 the 175 or 180
Only exception is the Berger 175 OTM Tactical performs great in my 1-12

Suggest 175 Berger OTM in 1-12
Im asking an honest question, is this a question or statement? If it's a question, then no I wouldn't personally. If it's a statement, then thanks but that was an issued rifle and ammo I didn't have a say it what I was shooting. No longer my realm so now I get to shoot what I want!

Im asking an honest question, is this a question or statement? If it's a question, then no I wouldn't personally. If it's a statement, then thanks but that was an issued rifle and ammo I didn't have a say it what I was shooting. No longer my realm so now I get to shoot what I want!
Cant help what you're issued but people still shooting 168 Sierra matchkings in 308 are basically living in the Stone Age, even for 308. A 168 berger hybrid or 168 TMK is leaps and bounds better.