Help me pick a caliber? 308, 7mm, 300

jwedel1777

In a couple days Ill be picking up a Thompson Icon (dont know the sub model) chambered in 308 that I won in a drawing . I'd like to have a gun that I can consistently kill deer/antelope sized game at 500+, plus elk to whatever distance I can ethically with enough energy.

My main question is: Should I stick with the Thompson 308? Or should I look to trade it for a 7mm or 300wm in probably Remington 700 model?

I know the 308 will drop faster, so my 1st thought would be 7mm, but I dont know if I could consistently get enough energy to put good kills on bigger stuff, like elk.
Im 23 and XL sized, so added recoil shouldn't be a deal-breaker, since I WILL get me a good recoil shoulder pad to use when I shoot.
Im not totally new to long range shooting. Ive killed a few deer at around 275 yards with my 25-06, plus a turkey at 488 with my 22-250. I can literally practice shooting to 800+ off my back porch if I really need to. :cool:
I dont re-load yet, but I have a close uncle who is very knowledgeable and has been reloading for quite some time, so he will be helping me with the reloading process. Anybody have any thoughts? I'm all ears, since I really have no clue what I should do.

Since you threw elk in the mix, then the 7mmRM or 300WM would be the better options. IF you plan to take elk at shorter distances... say around 400yds, then the .308 with a premium bullet will work fine. Any thing longer and you will want a bigger caliber. A good compromise might be the 7WSM or 300WSM. It will give you better barrel life and good ballistics. I'm not a opposed to a Remington, but I am an avid Savage fan. So you may want to check those out as well.

Tank

I hadnt thought about a savage, as it should save some money with having an acc trigger vs aftermarket. Are there any major avdtg/disavtg between the WM/WSM comparison? I def think I'm going to go with a 7mm. I'll just have to find a good gun to start with, and slowly build it as I feel the need.

The full length cases of the 7RM and 300WM are a little better at pushing the heavy for caliber bullets (7mm-180grn, 300-215, 220, 240grn). However the WSM's do it with a less powder and a little more efficiently. You will loose about 50-100fps with the same bullet combo in the WSM compared to the full length casing. Depends on the set up. The current 1000yd world record is held by a 300WSM using the Berger 210VLD, between 61-63grn of H4350. The group is 2.8" at 1000. That load combo is also going to be very deadly for whitetails to 1000yds too. The 7WSM and 7SAUM are very good at pushing the 180 Berger very accurately. 1200yds seems to be about right for these calibers on whitetails, but shot placement at that distance is very critical.

Tank

It's bullet placement , not the caliber ( within reason IE: 22 for elephant ) I have shot Elk with 280's, 7mm Rem Mag ,300 WM, 300 Wby , 30-378 Wby , 338 Win Mag . My hunting partner only uses a 264 Win Mag for everything and has taken Elk, Rams, Goats, Moose , Deer ETC . Placement one shot one kill.

Love the 300 WBY short throat life but great cart.
Love the 300 Win Mag when loaded at original Vel very close to WBY .
Here in Alaska my 4 guns
338 Win
300 Win
45-70 Marlin
30-06

Alasaka : which pistol does one carry ?? I love the 4in 44 Mag S&W !! up there
I have carried FA 454 and SW 29 6" and 629 and a custom Ruger Super Blackhawk "Predator"
But my current pistol is Glock 20 in 10mm
I don't prefer a pistol except maybe under the cot in tent. I prefer my 12ga Auto with Brennke Classic Slugs for protection at camp and field dressing.

Last edited: