New to .308... Help me with advice

The 308 win was originally for 300 yard target shooting at Palma using 155gr bullets. Later the 168gr was used. The military adopted the 168 MK in M852 and later the M118 and later then 175MK in the M118LR. In my 308 Win 20" the 150gr Accubond Nosler makes a excellent 300 yard caribou gun with IMR 8208.
I'm pretty sure it was originally a combat rifle cartridge. I don't think anything about it was tailored to 300m competition until the 168 smk.

I'm pretty sure it was originally a combat rifle cartridge. I don't think anything about it was tailored to 300m competition until the 168 smk.
The combat cart was 7.62x51 NATO in the new M14 and M60 Pig.
A little different lower pressure
Palma at one time was limited to 300 yards shooting and 155 gr
I think the Mexican Palma match was the first
Using the M852 with the new 168 MK with IMR 4895 @ 42.0.
I really like the 308 Win one of my most reloaded cartridge for 45 years.

Last edited:
The combat cart was 7.62x51 NATO
A little different lower pressure
Palma at one time was limited to 300 yards shooting and 155 gr
I think the Mexican Palma match was the first
Using the M852 with the new 168 MK with IMR 4895 @ 42.0.
I really like the 308 Win one of my most reloaded cartridge for 45 years.
I'm just trying to ensure the op understands it's not a tailor made 300 BR cartridge. I'm sure they know or they wouldn't have bought it. I always just thought the 7.62 was a semi auto cartridge more or less and the 308 win was just the commercial variant for hunting rifles. Great cartridge for normal hunting and has made it to 1k plenty of times.

Gotta lean on the 175's too. You've got a 1-10 so it should do fine with them. As to a "one load" - purchase or roll Bergers. I've seen outstanding accuracy and easy loading in their 6.5 offerings (not "needmore"). You can probably use them on the critters as well but I personally stand behind purpose built ideals. Using same brand (jacket) stuff you'll hopefully get lucky and only notice vertical POI changes. You could then do up an ol' fashioned dope card to attach to the rifle for the varmint load (sometimes no time for punching an app) then use an app for heavy slower shots. Just a thought.

I'm just trying to ensure the op understands it's not a tailor made 300 BR cartridge. I'm sure they know or they wouldn't have bought it. I always just thought the 7.62 was a semi auto cartridge more or less and the 308 win was just the commercial variant for hunting rifles. Great cartridge for normal hunting and has made it to 1k plenty of times.
No the 7.62x51 NATO is a sightly different cart and lower pressure. It's not safe to fire 308 Win in 7.62x51 but it's OK to fire 7.62x51 in 308 win.
The case is if I remember it just a tad shorter than 308 win and of course thicker military brass. I love to talk about my 308 Win history brings back a lot memories! My favorite LR target load Berger 175 OTM and IMR 4064.

Last edited:
I would like your advice on ammo for the .308 I am picking up tomorrow.

A Ruger American Hunter will be in my hands before noon tomorrow. I have a Vortex 6-24x scope that will be mounted on the rail.

The purpose of this gun is 2-fold... #1. Range shooting steels out to 1k yards. #2. Prairie Dog fun..... 200-500 yards.

I want a single load that will do it all, which means (probably)... I need the best for 1k with a .308. I understand that different guns will play different with various ammo... But I want advice, as I don't want to blow a ton of dough on experiments that won't pan out.

Should I go straight to a 175gr HPBT? I hear a lot of folks talking about the 168's.

You don't say if you handload or rely on factory loads. If you do reload, I recommend that you try Berger 185 grain VLDs. I've shot these many times to 1000 yards with excellent accuracy. -Ed

I think the message is clear, ballistics will dictate ammo that makes it to 1k well. I don't think I saw anyone refer to the issue with bullets going transonic. From what I have read no one has great math to explain it but some bullets when they transition to below the speed of sound go all wonky. Fed GMM 168 SMK case in point where other rounds like military 175s seem to go through it fine. That is why this 168 is fine to 600 yards but rarely much beyond that. Having said that I would humbly suggest for a new gun buy at least 1 box of Fed GMM 168 SMK. As you test other ammo you need to know what the rifle is capable of and in my experience this one ammo is almost universally going to tell you what the rifle can do with factory ammo. Regardless of how you break in a barrel you also may want to run 50-100 rounds of whatever down the barrel before you expect it to tell you what it likes.

I think for most factory ammo you are looking for something 175 or higher, at least as good bullet BC as Sierra SMK 175. And for little critters you are bringing lots of energy, not sure you have to worry about bullet performance like you would with deer and bigger.

IMHO

JB

I shoot my 168gr well past the trans sonic range. Mine go trans sonic around 1040 yards. Like I said I shoot them out to 1230 yards at 2200 ft elevation. I pushed them past trans sonic when i lived at sea level also. YMMV.

165 Gr is great in the 308 win
I do not suggest 168 Sierra Match Kings for hunting The new 165 Sierra GameChanger would be a excellent choice along with the 165 Gameking HPBT with IMR 4064. 1k yard shooting is best with the 300 Win Mag. 6x24 scope is a lot of scope for a 308 Win.
And add 175 SMK ...for the 1000 and call it done!

And add 175 SMK ...for the 1000 and call it done!
Shooting game and humans are 2 different things
I do not suggest shooting at game 1K yards away with a 308 Win. Humans require a very small amount of energy to kill vs game animals. The 308 Win is best served 400 yards or less on game.
As for Glass for 400 yard shooting 3x9 or 3.5x10 on my 20" I prefer a 2.5x8 or 1x6 I limit my shots 400 yards and prefer 300 yards or less for good clean kills. The Speer 165 Spitzer Hot Cor is a excellent bullet along with 165 Sierra GameChanger with TAC powder @ 41.5

Last edited:
Shooting game and humans are 2 different things
I do not suggest shooting at game 1K yards away with a 308 Win. Humans require a very small amount of energy to kill vs game animals. The 308 Win is best served 400 yards or less on game.
Absolutely agree! Never mentioned game just a bullet to go the 1000 my friend. P.S...never mentioned Humans either...but also agree ( somewhat)