New to .308... Help me with advice

I would like your advice on ammo for the .308 I am picking up tomorrow.

A Ruger American Hunter will be in my hands before noon tomorrow. I have a Vortex 6-24x scope that will be mounted on the rail.

The purpose of this gun is 2-fold... #1. Range shooting steels out to 1k yards. #2. Prairie Dog fun..... 200-500 yards.

I want a single load that will do it all, which means (probably)... I need the best for 1k with a .308. I understand that different guns will play different with various ammo... But I want advice, as I don't want to blow a ton of dough on experiments that won't pan out.

Should I go straight to a 175gr HPBT? I hear a lot of folks talking about the 168's.

That's a lot of scope for 308 Win
I prefer 1.5x5 or 2.5x8

Suggest read about Berger 175 Tactical OTM
For long ranges I considered it the best in my 308 Win. Berger has some good information on this bullet long rang performance. For me my 308 win is best served at 600 yards and under. Any further the 300 Win Mag and 190gr comes out.

I have landed on the 185 Berger. The gun shot the 175 Sierra's really well, but I think the 185 Berger's will be better, out further.

That's a lot of scope for 308 Win
I prefer 1.5x5 or 2.5x8

I am going to shoot it 1,000 yards and will appreciate the 24x.

Now on my 350 Legend, shooting 180 grainers.... I have a 1.25-4.5x.... and that's perfect for point blank to 150 yards or so.

The 308 is up there in top tier in my book of favorite cartridges. It is by far the easiest round to load for, inherently accurate, easy on the shoulder, and is my first choice for eastern deer hunting. I've never tried it at 1k. I've got other rifles for that purpose. Good luck with your venture into 1K+ with this round. It can be done for sure. Just pick a day with light wind and high BC bullets.

The 308 is up there in top tier in my book of favorite cartridges. It is by far the easiest round to load for, inherently accurate, easy on the shoulder, and is my first choice for eastern deer hunting. I've never tried it at 1k. I've got other rifles for that purpose. Good luck with your venture into 1K+ with this round. It can be done for sure. Just pick a day with light wind and high BC bullets.

Don't we all love an 8am morning, completely still... no wind? In my locale, it will be about 20 degrees, 30% humidity and 5,000 feet elevation..... Man the pills love to fly in those conditions.

The combat cart was 7.62x51 NATO in the new M14 and M60 Pig.
A little different lower pressure
Palma at one time was limited to 300 yards shooting and 155 gr
I think the Mexican Palma match was the first
Using the M852 with the new 168 MK with IMR 4895 @ 42.0.
I really like the 308 Win one of my most reloaded cartridge for 45 years.
Palma was restricted to 150/155 MK prior to the release of the new 168 MK. The Mexican match round was invented by pulling the bullets and replacing them with 168 MK using the same IMR 4895 charge.

Recent Posts