Learning to slow down

AKBman

I spend a lot of time and effort making quality ammunition, then I go shoot and waste that effort. I need to learn to slow down, I make such simple errors, wrong dial up, incorrect yardage input into the ballistics calculator, incorrect wind speed, etc. I am tired of being stupid, and I need to introduce a lot more discipline into my regime when I get into the field. Does anyone here use a checklist, or some other pre-shooting routine? Today could have been a good day, shooting at 1388 yards, but first 3 rounds were incorrect yardage, and I didn't figure out that my wind input was off until I was so frustrated that I packed it in. Nothing like figuring out that your elevation was dead nuts, and you didn't score any hits because you fat fingered the wind.

Nobody can give you a specific checklist that will work for you the way you want it to at the shot. I was frustrated too on similar process until I started to write down each step that I want to take to verify my shot and this was for both gun and bow since both are very similar in making shot at yardage. This process is really no different than establishing your reloading process in verifiable steps. I would suggest writing down each step starting with what gear you are taking and why. Include how you establish fit and form to rifle, whether on bags or other rest (bipod, cross sticks, tripod etc.). How do you establish environmental conditions and why. And so on. You will find as you go through your process or procedure whatever you wish to call it that you keep editing for fine tuning. It actually becomes somewhat fun to self evaluate your own process. If you have a shooting friend, this is great time to work thru both processes. You will bounce stuff off each other. Just my 0.02.

So I didn't explain deeper but what I am describing is called process mapping. Every business that has a continuous process improvement (CIP) does this on their business processes to streamline and make more efficient which translates to $$$$ in pocket. So think of it that way, map out (list your steps) and evaluate each step. Do I need to do it? Can I do it differently? Can I do it better or faster? Challenge yourself for each step for requirements to get the best shot off efficiently. Once you start doing thus, it becomes easier to evaluate ir question your process.

Make your own list but like anything sometimes you just have bad days. When everything is going wrong sometimes it is best to pack up and save ammo for another day, It happens.

But most of the time when you miss go through your checklist and see why you missed. Then correct until you hit. If your missing, figuring out how to correct is part of the practice. If you don't figure it out you can't correct, if you don't correct you haven't learned anything. A wrong wind call is pretty normal for long distance shooting, and learning to shoot in the wind is 90% of LR shooting

Last edited:
I live in a very lush green area of Kansas and started 1000 yd shooting with a 12"x18" IDPA target it was so frustrating because we couldn't see our misses. We finally had our fill of it and bought a 4'x8'x3/8" plate of AR400 steel, plasma cut it in half just so it wasn't so ridiculous heavy and hung it at 1000yds with a 12"x18" IDPA between the two 4'x4' plates. It made shooting at that range way more enjoyable.

Attachments

• B47105AE-EDB6-4C5A-BB56-5A57934AD151.jpeg
    B47105AE-EDB6-4C5A-BB56-5A57934AD151.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Thanks one and all. Muddy Boots, I got your process improvement meaning, been in and around the military far too long to miss that. Definitely need to heed the advice! I need more practice, that is the bottom line, I have been shooting for a long, long time, but never been this serious about long range shooting. My first trip to the Whittington Center this past summer was about the white buffalo with my Sharps and black powder loads, a long time bucket list checked off. I took the Sendero, but only shot to 600. Next trip will be some 1K shooting in addition to the buffalo. Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

Accuracy in long range shooting is all about establishing a uniform process. Even in F-Class shooting I go through a standard process for each shot. The crosshairs must be within a certain range of the bull or I have to manipulate the rest. Once there I back myself out of the scope then come back in to make sure my eye is centered in the scope...then I move the gun to the point of aim I desire. Process when hunting is similar. Checklists for wind/range are mental. Once the range is long enough for this to be material it's kind of intuitive.

As ive gotten older,im thinking of so many things,space out the main stuff.Plus I have too much gear.I went to Idaho one year in a big hurry.Got there,no bow,well I have spare behind seat,took it out to wax string,left in shop.Lucky I had a recurve in camper,but really cut make on my Range:eek:

Practice, Practice, Practice
and then Practice Practice, Practice.
While doing this you need Consistency, Consistency, Consistency
You can be very religious about reloading your cartridges. You will feel very confident in your shooting process and the end results.
In Shooting you have to be very DISIPLINED! From the time you drive to the range, Set yourself up mentally, take you tools out, setting them up, staging everything, shooting mat, spotting scope, rests, rifle, ammo, DOPE Info, environment, setting yourself mentally, then go back to driving up to the range. Set yourself up mentally. Once settled in just thing about the target. It's all a mind game. 90% is your mind and 10% is your equipment. You can and will have the best equipment on the market and the same as everyone else on the line, but it all comes down to knowledge, confidence, Knowledge, confidence, Practice, consistency.
If you look at the greatest shooters whether in the shooting competition world or the military snipers what was their edge? How did they make unbelievable shots? Was it equipment? Was it team help? Was it a Fluke?
How did some of the world's most underdeveloped countries produce some of the deadliest snipers in history? Did they have superior rifles and optics NO!!!!
The best shooters have DISIPINE and knowledge of their tools and the environment.
There are many books out on the market and internet from shooters telling their stories on how they had applied their mental practices to become great shooters. There are also many books. info that are not worth the paper printed on.
I would suggest trying to go to some ranges that have BR "F" Class PRS competitions and talking with competitors. The GOOD ones will help you out and possibly mentor you. Some of the other's will be closed net, don't take offense. As with any sport there are "Clicks" and don't need to mention those people. They are not shooters/sportsman.
If I can help in any way let me know. PM if you want to talk some time.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Thanks Len! During the week, I am going to allocate 20 minutes each evening for dry fire work. I want to be more comfortable on the rifle.

I spend a lot of time and effort making quality ammunition, then I go shoot and waste that effort. I need to learn to slow down, I make such simple errors, wrong dial up, incorrect yardage input into the ballistics calculator, incorrect wind speed, etc. I am tired of being stupid, and I need to introduce a lot more discipline into my regime when I get into the field. Does anyone here use a checklist, or some other pre-shooting routine? Today could have been a good day, shooting at 1388 yards, but first 3 rounds were incorrect yardage, and I didn't figure out that my wind input was off until I was so frustrated that I packed it in. Nothing like figuring out that your elevation was dead nuts, and you didn't score any hits because you fat fingered the wind.
That isn't stupid, it's just human.

We get in a hurry and usually screw things up when we do.

Make your own checklist, range check, wind check, gun loaded, round chambered etc.

Then adhere to it religiously. Pretty soon it's memorized and you won't even realize it but you're going through it automatically every time you even think of lining up a shot.

I live in a very lush green area of Kansas and started 1000 yd shooting with a 12"x18" IDPA target it was so frustrating because we couldn't see our misses. We finally had our fill of it and bought a 4'x8'x3/8" plate of AR400 steel, plasma cut it in half just so it wasn't so ridiculous heavy and hung it at 1000yds with a 12"x18" IDPA between the two 4'x4' plates. It made shooting at that range way more enjoyable.
I love it. I learned my wind in a similar fashion!
8FA3894E-FE9E-424D-A7F1-017CA678F2C6.jpeg

A4685543-B058-4B84-B4F6-AD314523E33B.jpeg