Learning

I was def. not scared off either, I have just been busy the last couple of days. I understand that killing yotes over 500 yards on a regular basis is probably not that likely of a goal, I guess I would just like to think that when they are at 400+ that I can throw some lead at them and feel at least somewhat comfortable. I really do apprecaite all the input though, is Rem 700 kind of the basic consensus to start out with just because of accuracy and all of the upgrades available at a later time? Thanks!

foreign is right - dedicated f-class rifles and; 600 and 1K benchrest rifles make it almost easy. most people do not want a 15-18 pound rifle. RIFLE- i can only talk about the rem 700 basics - starting with a rem 700 action ( 300) ; an h&s precision stock( or equivalent there are others) ( 200-250); a varmint weight or heavier kreiger barrel( or equivalent) ( 300+150) ; a timney trigger ( or a very well adjust rem factory trigger, jewel or shilen) (100). the approx cost is in quotes. there is not 6ppc for what you are talking about several calibers will work. i can not talk about going the savage route. two of the easist ways : 1- find a rem 700 vs 22-250 (has the h and s stock), add a .243 krieger barrel . adjust the trigger. 2- find a rem 700 25-06 sendero : adjust the trigger. shoot it . if you can not reach your goal rebarrel with a krieger 6.5-284. I shot a coyote a week ago with my 6.5 at 419 it felt very close. very unlike years past when i did not have the rebarreled sendero. roninflag

OK so my question now is this.... I believe I am going to get a Savage model 12 varminter BTCSS in a 22-250. The wind usually blows here so this is somewhat of a probably "unstable" caliber, but as I do mainly calling most of my shots (probably 80% will be sub 300). I believe I will get this and use for the rest of this year, and probably look at a .243 for next fall for a little longer range. The other reason for choosing this is we are going out west praire dogging this summer and would like to have another round besides my AR to shoot with. My real question is, when I get the Savage, is there anything I should add to it off the bat i.e. muzzle break or anything like that? I would still like to have the ability to make a 400 yard shot if presented with the opportunity.

bboock,

The savage model 12 should work just fine for you. Wind will be a problem with longer shots, but it is a good compromise for p-dogs and yotes. Another thought, is that the same rifle in the 243 will kill p-dogs too and will not cost much more to handload for, and you could save the expense of 2 rifles, but then again more rifles is always better!!:D

I would not bother with a muzzle brake on either a 22-250 or 243 as recoil on both is mild. I would bed the action, adjust the trigger to 1.5 to 2lbs, install a 1 piece picatinny style rail, and the best scope you can afford.

Then you need a rangefinder, bipod, shooting sticks, etc.

Get set up to handload...... that opens a whole new can of worms.....more fun:)

I don't mind having more rifles :) and I know the 243 would be ok for pdogs I just feel more comfortable with a 22 250 and 223 as I will not be handloading by then I would guess. I believe I will be going with a Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14 with the Varmint Hunters reticle. I apprecaite all the info and welcome any other input.

bbook - like i said don't know too much about the savages. i don't have one yet. i know some guys with 12 lrpv 9 twist 22-250 won some 600 yard matches in south dakota; against customs that cost 3K. they shoot a 75 or 80 grain hp which is a handload. enjoy . roninfalg

Ok, so I got it, Gander Mountain for only 550, seemed pretty cheap. I didn't get the thumbhole stock as I would like to be able to pick out my own stock if I so chose. I'm not sure if all Gander Mountains did it or not but the one by us got rid of their gun smith. Had to order it, so it will be a week to 10 days. My plans are to have the rails put on, have a Leupold vx3 4-14 scope on the way. Maybe put a muzzle break on, and possibly down the road change the stock out. I believe I will try 40 grain V Max bullets, anyone have any other suggestions? Really appreciate all the help and guidance everyone has provided, thanks a lot!

I am also a LRH green horn getting started with a savage model 12 in 22-250. Mine is the FCV (heavy barrel,accustock& trigger). I'm shooting the remington accutips (50 grain). Here's my 2 cents on where you are at:

You don't need a muzzle brake for this rifle, it has very light recoil, the brake is just going to make it very loud and dirty to be around.

You do want to get a swiveling bipod for this or any other LR rifle. The Caldwell is as good as the Harris for 1/2 the $.

You do want to get some kind of rear field bag to support the butt stock. I got some from the LRH store. Make sure your muscle tension & form are correct-watch the Holland videos. Very important to work past the flinch reflex if you have one & most novices (self included) need to work on this regularly.

If you have the room for a range on your own property then you really want some kind of rugged yet easy to set up bench for establishing a really accurate data table for that scope (one that your scope& gun actually follows) I have this bench, it's also awesome in a popup blind Big Game Swivel Action Shooting Bench Gun Rest at MacksPW.com Take off the front brace that comes w/ the bench & use your rifle w/ the bipod/rear bag for shooting off it.

If you use a club range check out the benchs & make sure your bipod & rear bag will fit on the bench. You want to shoot w/ these accessories as much as possible while establishing the data table for your model 12/scope & chosen cartridge combo

I use the big 'dirty bird' (or clones) targets for establishing scope settings & checking groups out past 200 yds, holes can be seen w/ out an expensive spotter much much further than regular paper targets.

Get an AR500 'gong' style steel target or two (lots of different sizes available, just google ar500) , you can see bullet smacks on these and hear contact easily.

Maybe I'm all wet but you (and I) got enough to work on at this point without getting into reloading right now! (probably gonna take a lot of heat for that but why introduce one more variable into what is already gonna be complicated enough?) There will be time for that stuff next year when you will have at least 1 rifle that you know well to work with.

Good luck & have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.