new into long range. narrowed down to 2 rifles. help decide plz.

shocker45

alright i will be doing lots of target shooting. can't see myself going deer hunting or elk or anything just be more of a varmint \ target rifle.
now when i say long range, for me if i could have like 6" group at 500 yards id be quite happy with that. and with my lower budget i hope its within reach.

one of my options is the Remington VS SF in a .223 cal, with a cheap cabalas 6-18 power scope with the BDC Turrets. (i went with a cheaper scope and bought a range finder and a spotting scope)
other option is a Remington 700 Varmint in a .308 cal, i have a Nikon Monarch 4-12 power scope i could put on it. but am unsure if the 12 power would be enough for what im hoping to do.

now i like the .308 cal for the harder hit, but the .223 is substantially cheaper to shoot and my gf could shoot it much easier than the .308 ( shes 100 lbs )
local store wants $1000 for the VS SF (which they say is a really good deal) or $719 for the Remington 700 Varmit,

EDIT: ive been reading for a while now and it looks as though i will be hand loading. so keeping that in mind i think that cabelas scope i got it junk because i think i would wanna shoot a 69 gr .223.

if im reloading my own, should i go .223 or .308?

Last edited:
OK, no one else is piping up, so I will start with an opinion, and I am sure someone else will come and disagree. That way the waters will stay muddy.

Given what you want to shoot at, and what sounds like a possibility of hunting deer. I think you should go ahead and use the Nikon that you have, and mount it to a Tikka T-3 Varmint in a 260Rem, or a 7mm-08. These will be pretty light on the recoil, able to reach fairly far, easily re-loadable, and still have enough to harvest a deer easily.

Now stand back, lightning may strike.:rolleyes::D

Good luck with what you choose, and have fun. If you decide for sure what you want, check out usagunclub.com. It'll save you a fair amount of $$.

Steve

sorry i should have mentioned i live in Canada. thats why prices may have seemed high, well they are, but its natural we pay more for everything lol.

going to go buy a Savage model 10 precision carbine .308 tommorow.

http://www.savagearms.com/10pc.htm

anyone have any experiences with it?

Last edited:
Check out savageshooters.com if you want a lot of savage specific info. You'll find all the tricks there. Savage rifles lend themselves pretty well to caliber changes. With a couple tools and a few parts you could shoot just about any short action round in your savage. Hope it shoots well for you and good luck.

I just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle and i threw on a 10X40X50mm Osprey 10 - 40x50 mm Long Range Tactical Scope, Matte Black with a harris bipod and a uncle mikes Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders and a tactical sling i put about $1,000 in everything so i was wondering if i should throw on a .308 VORTEX FLASH HIDER threw brownells and what ammo should i use. Tactical rifle ways about 15 LBS all together and it is a great rifle i just can't wait to shoot it.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.