New to long range

This statement is not true, except regarding recoil.

The 300 WM and 7mm Mag have, for all intents and purposes, identical flight ballistics. The 7mm does not shoot significantly "flatter" than 300 WM. With bullets of similar sectional density and B.C., the two rifles achieve nearly identical velocities. Individual rifles and loads may vary, but on the whole, the two are effectively the same for drop/wind when comparing apples to apples.

For example:
7mm 180 Berger Hyb Target = 0.680 BC, ~2900 fps in 24" barrel
300 WM 215 Berger Hybrid Target = 0.691 BC, ~2875 fps in 24" barrel

IMO, neither caliber is appropriate to use on elk at 1000 yds, unless you are an outstanding shooter, in perfect conditions. Even then, it's literally "marginal" by nearly all bullet manufacturers standards (i.e >1800 fps impact)

For example, at 1000 yds, using a best case scenario with high BC target bullets, specifically NOT recommended by the manufacturer for hunting:
7mm 180 Berg Hyb Targ @ 2900 fps = ~1850 fps, 1300 ftlbs
300 WM 215 Berg Hyb Targ @ 2875 fps = ~1850 fps, ~1650 ftlbs

300 WM will give you ~15% more "killing power" at any given distance over 7mm Mag. This is just a matter of physics. Roughly 15%-20% bigger hole, 15%-20% more momentum, 15%-20% more energy, and of course roughly 15%-20% more recoil.

In my experience shooting silhouette the 7mm ballistics are better than the 308, reason why the 7mm-08 replaced the 308 Win in this competition. The 7mm bullet shoots flatter than the 308, just like the 6.5 shoots flatter then the other two, this is what I've experienced.

As far as the capabilities of the 7 RM and the 300 WM, in the hands of a trained shooter and hunter they are definitely capable of proper killing at a 1,000 yds, under the right conditions of course.

Maybe the shooter is not capable but a properly set up rifle is with the correct bullet is. The barrel length should not be 24", a 28" or 30" is best so you can push the bullet faster.

In my experience shooting silhouette the 7mm ballistics are better than the 308, reason why the 7mm-08 replaced the 308 Win in this competition. The 7mm bullet shoots flatter than the 308, just like the 6.5 shoots flatter then the other two, this is what I've experienced.

As far as the capabilities of the 7 RM and the 300 WM, in the hands of a trained shooter and hunter they are definitely capable of proper killing at a 1,000 yds, under the right conditions of course.

Maybe the shooter is not capable but a properly set up rifle is with the correct bullet is. The barrel length should not be 24", a 28" or 30" is best so you can push the bullet faster.

Well your talking about a special niche in the shooting sports.
Especially in the bench rest area of it where lots of shots are fired. The goal is to have as little recoil as possible, while still having enough energy to knock over the largest targets at the longest distances. And for that reason, the 6.5s have become popular there.
As for long range hunting however, rest assured that at the longer distances especially, the 30 caliber rules over the other 2, and for good reason.
But again, this thread is all about a guy who is simply interested in breaking into shooting at longer distances than he has been. He may, or he may not ever be in a position to take his dream Elk hunt out west. But that need not stop him from gaining the experience he would need if and when he does.
And in order to gain that experience, he doesn't need any of the magnum cartridges.

Well your talking about a special niche in the shooting sports.
Especially in the bench rest area of it where lots of shots are fired. The goal is to have as little recoil as possible, while still having enough energy to knock over the largest targets at the longest distances. And for that reason, the 6.5s have become popular there.
As for long range hunting however, rest assured that at the longer distances especially, the 30 caliber rules over the other 2, and for good reason.
But again, this thread is all about a guy who is simply interested in breaking into shooting at longer distances than he has been. He may, or he may not ever be in a position to take his dream Elk hunt out west. But that need not stop him from gaining the experience he would need if and when he does.
And in order to gain that experience, he doesn't need any of the magnum cartridges.

Don't you think it be best that if he wants a one for all rifle, a 7 RM or 300 WM would be the best option, so there isn't a need to buy another for that western dream hunt?

Don't you think it be best that if he wants a one for all rifle, a 7 RM or 300 WM would be the best option, so there isn't a need to buy another for that western dream hunt?

Well you know what is said about opinions, and what your saying sounds very logical.
But then why don't we use the same logic when buying our kids their first rifle?
I mean we can lighten up on the load, and in a couple years he will be able to handle it anyway.
But then how much advantage does a 7 Rem mag actually have over a 7/08? Or 300 WM over a 308?
How many 1/4 minis clicks from a 100 yd zero will it take to reach 600 yds with any of them using the same weight bullet?
Anyway, if and when the guy is ready for his hunt would be the time to evaluate his needs for the hunt.
For now he has different needs, not requiring a magnum, but that's an opinion also.

Well you know what is said about opinions, and what your saying sounds very logical.
But then why don't we use the same logic when buying our kids their first rifle?
I mean we can lighten up on the load, and in a couple years he will be able to handle it anyway.
But then how much advantage does a 7 Rem mag actually have over a 7/08? Or 300 WM over a 308?
How many 1/4 minis clicks from a 100 yd zero will it take to reach 600 yds with any of them using the same weight bullet?
Anyway, if and when the guy is ready for his hunt would be the time to evaluate his needs for the hunt.
For now he has different needs, not requiring a magnum, but that's an opinion also.

Good point, can't argue with that

I have a tikka t-3 lite in .270 wsm that I am very comfortable at 500yds pending wind conditions. Glass is where I blew your 1500 budget though. I went with the VX-6HD and shoot Nosler Accubond Long Range ammunition. The combo works great. There are cheaper options for the glass that could get you in the right budget range.

I hunt in South Georgia. I bow hunt 98% of the time. My thought is build a gun that can shoot the 500-600 yard. I have no problem closing the distance on a whitetail but when I do make it out west I want to have the confidence to make a long shot if need be. I also would enjoy shooting some steel at the range.
South Georgia doesn't grow huge bodied deer. Some other guys have eluded to non-magnum options. I'd have to agree. All you'll get with a magnum in your case is more expensive ammo and alot more abuse from recoil. 6.5, 308 are good options for any deer out to 600 yards. Both great accuracy choices and ammo is everywhere. Pleasure to shoot as well

I bought my wife a Tikka TX3 in 6.5 and I love thing thing so far. Shoots like a dream. Haven't shot at long ranges yet but out to 300 it's spot on.

Sounds like for what you want the tried and true 30-06 is you man... but just remember the biggest baddest rifle and scope is as good at the man/woman behind it... there is a skinny little old man we shoot with that shows up with a model 700 30-06 pencil and paper and kicks our @ss everyday at 1,000 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.