New to long range

I think I'd stick with your original thought. I'd get a 300 win mag with a brake if your not used to recoil. It has plenty of energy to take any animal on the North American continent at extended ranges and is widely available in commercially loaded ammunition. Honestly most of the savage Remington ruger weatherby or higher end gun are more than capable of 500 to 600 yard shooting. If the cost is an issue I would look for a good used gun or buy something like a weatherby vanguard that is cheap and then put the majority of your money into the optics. A lot of the time people new to distance shooting overlook the need for a good reliable scope and a range finder. Spend the coin on the scope and maybe buy a used Leica 1600b range finder or like range finders and you'll be set for years and years. A gun upgrade or a smithed barrel upgrade on your existing gun can always come down the road if need be. Very knowledgeable people on this site. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And most importantly just shoot. Shoot and shoot.

A new 110 savage in the accustock in a 6.5 creed. Put a vortex 4x16 PST scope on it. Less than 1200 bucks and will shoot lights out. My 6.5 creed has 1200 foot pounds to 780 yards. Factory ammo is practically falling off trees for it. Trade the rifle for a tikka would be awesome too. Both are incredible accuracy wise right out of the box.
Shep

welcome

first rifle I would go 30/06 commercial ammo offerings everywhere and you an shoot everything with it.

for the money Savage is very hard to beat but there are a bunch of great guns offered now shooting under MOA

A Tikka in 270wsm would be awesome as well. All the 270wsm rifles I've worked with through my shop have shot very accurate. Every Tikka but 1 shot light out too. I had one Tikka that had a flaw 1/2 from the crown. Cut it off and recrowned it and was a tack driver too. Nice thing about savage is you can upgrade the barrel to new cartridges yourself. Even change from standard to magnum and back very easily. Sort of like a bolt action version of the AR. You have many options and most standard rounds are plenty to 500-600 yards.
Shep

The tikka 6.5 creed would be tough to beat, great trigger slick bolt and a decent aftermarket selection. I too have a savage in a fcp-sr creed and it's a 1/2" rifle with 3 different factory Hornady offerings. The savage high country has my attention, but haven't heard many reviews. A nice Leupold 12x to top it and your set. Good luck decisions decisions lol. Another idea might be a savage action and criterion barrel from northern shooters supply, stock of choice and your in the 900ish range for basically a custom

I have decided that I want a gun that I can shoot to 500-600 yards but I also want to hunt with it. I was thinking 300 win mag, that way if I want to go out west I will have a gun that has the nock down power. my budget is around 1500 dollars for rifle and scope. Thank you for your help. Also why can I not comment on the classified ads?[/QUOTE

If you're going to shoot long range you need to focus on the right scope. You can easily spend $1,500-$2,000 on a proper scope. Look for a scope that has zero hold, your best bet considering your price range is to look for a quality used scope. Spend $500-$700 on a decent used rifle and then go for a scope that will match the velocity and FPS your rifle will produce.

Hey Turkeyman,
Where you at in South GA? I am in Mid-Ga near Macon. We should link up for some shooting practice some time.

I have decided that I want a gun that I can shoot to 500-600 yards but I also want to hunt with it. I was thinking 300 win mag, that way if I want to go out west I will have a gun that has the nock down power. my budget is around 1500 dollars for rifle and scope. Thank you for your help. Also why can I not comment on the classified ads?
260 Rem. with a viper HS-T 4-16x44 would be my vote.

Just be very carefull when you start shooting long range. It's very addicting. Before you know it you will want to shoot 1000 yards. Then 1 mile. I shoot 1000 yard competition. To me a 500 yard shot is so easy. You can do it with practically any out of the box rifle. A guy that shoots 1 mile will laugh at my 1000 yard shots. So maybe try and get a rifle that could do more that way you don't have to do it all over again when you want farther. Shep

If you have fired a few rounds down the tube of a 300 WM and gotten along ok with the recoil, then I would suggest that instead of the WM you go with a more modern and somewhat better cartridge, the 300 RUM. The RUM series is just a bit more of everything the WM rounds can do. I wish they had been around when I was first looking for an elk gun. I wouldn't trade off my Ruger 77 .338 WM to get a RUM, I know it shoots well already. But just starting out, especially for a reloader, since they do not have to loaded up to 'firebreathing' to start! Ultimately the RUM will give you just enough of everything good about both cartridges to make it, I think, the better and more logical choice.
Cheers,
crkckr

I have decided that I want a gun that I can shoot to 500-600 yards but I also want to hunt with it. I was thinking 300 win mag, that way if I want to go out west I will have a gun that has the nock down power. my budget is around 1500 dollars for rifle and scope. Thank you for your help. Also why can I not comment on the classified ads?

As for the cartridge I would get a 7mm Rem Mag, can shoot up to 1000 yds and tons of factory ammo available in case you don't reload.

Shoots flatter than the 300 Win Mag and less recoil if that matters to you. With 160gr to 180gr bullets deer and Elk up to 1000 yds is not an issue.

As for the rifle I am Remington 700 guy, so a 700 Long Range or the SPS Stainless sound good, both with the 26" barrel. Also, Savage rifles are very accurate, a Long Range Hunter with the Accufit stock and the 26" barrel is another good option

For the scope there are several good options, for me Leupold or Vortex have worked great, I havent had issues with them, but like I said there are many good options available.

Hope this helps

Shoots flatter than the 300 Win Mag and less recoil if that matters to you. With 160gr to 180gr bullets deer and Elk up to 1000 yds is not an issue.

This statement is not true, except regarding recoil.

The 300 WM and 7mm Mag have, for all intents and purposes, identical flight ballistics. The 7mm does not shoot significantly "flatter" than 300 WM. With bullets of similar sectional density and B.C., the two rifles achieve nearly identical velocities. Individual rifles and loads may vary, but on the whole, the two are effectively the same for drop/wind when comparing apples to apples.

For example:
7mm 180 Berger Hyb Target = 0.680 BC, ~2900 fps in 24" barrel
300 WM 215 Berger Hybrid Target = 0.691 BC, ~2875 fps in 24" barrel

IMO, neither caliber is appropriate to use on elk at 1000 yds, unless you are an outstanding shooter, in perfect conditions. Even then, it's literally "marginal" by nearly all bullet manufacturers standards (i.e >1800 fps impact)

For example, at 1000 yds, using a best case scenario with high BC target bullets, specifically NOT recommended by the manufacturer for hunting:
7mm 180 Berg Hyb Targ @ 2900 fps = ~1850 fps, 1300 ftlbs
300 WM 215 Berg Hyb Targ @ 2875 fps = ~1850 fps, ~1650 ftlbs

300 WM will give you ~15% more "killing power" at any given distance over 7mm Mag. This is just a matter of physics. Roughly 15%-20% bigger hole, 15%-20% more momentum, 15%-20% more energy, and of course roughly 15%-20% more recoil.

Last edited:
I hunt in South Georgia. I bow hunt 98% of the time. My thought is build a gun that can shoot the 500-600 yard. I have no problem closing the distance on a whitetail but when I do make it out west I want to have the confidence to make a long shot if need be. I also would enjoy shooting some steel at the range.
Well realize that many opinions on sites like this are coming from people who haven't actually ever hunted L/R.
That's why many of them are of the opinion that it all begins with the gun you select.
Nothing could be further from the truth in that regard.
Get yourself a good accurate 308 with a good scope.
Then do the same thing that caused you to become a good bow shooter.
You will be very surprised at the distances you will be hitting small rocks on those hillsides in the western part of your state.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.