New to long range

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Gerald1755, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Gerald1755

Gerald1755 Member

I recently purchased a Remington 700 sps .300 win mag. I would like to know if this is a decent platform to start with for long range accurate shooting. I would also like to know where you would recommend starting upgrades. Currently it is a stock rifle with a Leupold vxiii 4.5-14x50 with CDS and Talley one piece rings. I am looking at shooting Barnes 180gr TTSX. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

2. Gerald1755

Gerald1755 Member

Surely someone has an opinion.....

3. jpbaker

jpbaker Well-Known Member

How does it shoot now?

I would probably start with the stock. Either bedding it or replaceing it if you got the money to.

If the barrel shoots good sub 1/2MOA then you may be fine with that (how far you shooting?)

Are you hunting or shooting paper?

JPB

4. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

Gerald,
    I'm pretty new at the long range game myself but it sounds to me like you are off to a good start, if your rifle is shooting well as is then I would just use the extra money for more loading components. My first upgrade to a rifle usually involves the trigger, either to adjust or replace it. Next is normally the stock, then the barrel. I don't make any modification unless there is a problem with the rifle to begin with.

Bob

5. Gerald1755

Gerald1755 Member

Thanks JPB and Bob
    I mainly plan on hunting but would like to play a little at the range as well. The rifle shoots over 1 MOA as it is. I don't mind spending a little money on it to be confident in its ability. I will just have to work on my ability. I would like to replace the trigger and stock. I would really like to find a good gunsmith here in Texas to do an accuracy package on it. Looks like Timney triggers and McMillan stocks are very popular.

6. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

For the little extra money, I think I would go with a Jewel trigger over a Timney. I have had great results with Timney triggers and I do like them for some applications but on a 700 I just can't help myself, especially since it's your money :) McMillan makes great stocks IMHO. There are some great gunsmiths on the forum, I don't recall which one but I think at least one of them has a factory tune up package.

Bob

7. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

A Rem700 SPS in 300winmag is a great platform to start with. Load it with 208grain Amax or 210grain VLDs and you have an awesome longrange rig.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/annual-hunting-retreat-amax-review-82434/

As for upgrades on your rifle, here are my recommendations:

Stock - replace the factory stock as it is a piece of tupperware. McMillan is a great stock. Also look at Manners. Personally, I have two McMillan A3s and a buddy of mine has two Manners T2s. His T2s have the suspension system in them and that is a nice rig. (suspension system is nice if you plan to use detachable mags). If you get a stock that does not have a suspension system in it, be sure to skim coat bed it and also consider pillars.

Barrel - have it recrowned. It is common for factory barrels to have a less than perfect crown on them.

Trigger - tune the trigger you have or go with a Jewel. Jewels are on my two longrange rigs and I just love them.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

Your thought on having an 'accuracy package' done is a good one. My nephew's rifle had that done....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles (Montour County Rifles) did all the work on these three rifles. I would highly recommend him to you.

Good enough response? any other questions? glad to help with whatever I can.

8. Gerald1755

Gerald1755 Member

Thanks gain Bob. I will look into the Jewel triggers. If anyone knows of a reputable gunsmith that they would recommend for accuracy and stock package I would appreciate the info. Thanks

9. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Did you read my reply?

10. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

MCR was the one I was thinking of.

Trebark, I bet you were typing at the same time!

Bob

11. Gerald1755

Gerald1755 Member

Trebark, I did read your post. Thanks for the info. I was just kinda doing what people do with a doctor 'get a second opinion' I will definitely look into MCR?

Thanks

12. Catwhacker

Catwhacker Well-Known Member

You might give Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels a look.I had forgotten about them, but I have friend that has a pencil barreled 300 Wby that shoots 180gr factory spire points in the .3's & know another family that has been sending them rifles for years. They have a factory ammo accuracy guarantee..... I'm sure there are great guys on this forum too, but I just don't know anyone personally that has used them yet

13. Gerald1755

Gerald1755 Member

Thanks catwacker. I did come across Hill Country when I was searching the Internet. I too like the factory ammo accuracy guarantee. I am not into loading at this time and probably will never be. I know I may not ever get the accuracy I could get with hand loads but to be honest I'm not that accurate myself - YET. I'll keep practicing though.

14. Catwhacker

Catwhacker Well-Known Member

Factory ammo isn't a concern for me & a lot of other people on this forum , but it is to some. I reload quite a bit now, but if I have a factory load works, I shoot it. I'm shooting factory 140gr Amax in a 6.5 Creedmoor now, & I don't have any reason to reload it. The factory ammo shoots less than MOA out to 900yds if I do my part. Be careful or you'll get bitten by the bug, & have a whole room set aside for reloading before it's all said & done