My first Coyote

Was just saying what I liked and why we all have what works for us and share that with others as they may or may not want to try them . I have found that for me the 120's also did well on mule deer , white tailed deer and antelope . I built mine just because I wanted to shoot a coyote at 1000 yards but 643 yds . was my farthest one before I retired from control work . I just enjoy visiting with people about hunting coyote now and may or may not have some thing to pass on to others that they may be able to use .
I mean I'm not against working up a load specifically for coyotes do you remember what velocities you were getting it should have quite a bit more speed than what I'm running now and would be flatter it might help me on those longer shots

I mean with the powder and primer situation nowadays I did not want to work up another load but I believe that could help to be more specific for that animal I don't think it would take me too long to do it and I have enough components to get it done right now anyway I would only need to purchase the bullets if I can find some

It was right around 2900 FPSMV but then I'm at 4500 feet and going up to 8000 . The last time I crono'd it was 2926 average we have a lot thinner air with a whole lot less humidity on average only about 25 % humidity and around 19-20 % O2 we are considered high altitude workers here and a lot of people need a couple of days to adjust so that all plays into how our rifles shoot as well . We have a lot of wind , predominantly from the west as well .

It was right around 2900 FPSMV but then I'm at 4500 feet and going up to 8000 . The last time I crono'd it was 2926 average we have a lot thinner air with a whole lot less humidity on average only about 25 % humidity and around 19-20 % O2 we are considered high altitude workers here and a lot of people need a couple of days to adjust so that all plays into how our rifles shoot as well . We have a lot of wind , predominantly from the west as well .
A definite yes on the wind. l have hunted antelope once in Wyoming we were successful my buddy and myself, I shot mine at 615 and with my help and my rifle he shot his at 783 I could not believe the wind an average day was 20 or 25 mph I think the day we were successful it was 35 mph.I've never shot in wind like that before. I'm running 2980 ft./s with the load I'm shooting now just a guess but I imagine I would be around 3200 ft./s with a 120 grain projectile

I think it was probably closer to 3 feet, at least from my vantage it seemed that way. I was thinking about it last night, and I decided that if you hadn't shot at it, it may have crawled up in your chair with you. It was close enough to cuddle. May have just been cold or perhaps a little lonely.
You need to give him (yote) a break cause he was social distancing 🤪

I remember the first time I tried and called in a coyote a great many years ago. Set up and tried my call. Looking off in different direction, and the coyote came in on my left side. Being left handed that made it a hard shot. First I though that he was going to sit on my lap. I had the dog in less than 20 yds.
Hunting with my cousins we had a rule shooting only deer during that time. When the hunting was done for the day, except of dogs (Not Coyotes) chasing deer, then game on. People would let there dogs run at night and early morning. We were finding dead deer, but not eaten. Sometime we would catch the dogs in action taking down a deer. Needless to say the dogs didn't make it home. I always wonder why people would move out into the country from the city, get dogs, and let them run wild. They probable wonder what happen to their animals or dogs.

Although I've only taken a couple this was my first one when I was targeting the species the others I have shot have been while deer hunting. My mentor (hecouldgoalltheway) and I were on a property that he has access to for predator control we set up on our first stand in a beautiful spot well hidden on a slight rise overlooking a field after about 20 minutes of calling the Coyote came out at just under 350 yards paused for one second in the field and I let him have it with my 6.5x84 Norma and a 140 grain VLD Hunting he dropped immediately after a second attempted to stand and then was down for the count the combination of rifle and bullet proved to be a little excessive but the job was done.View attachment 268336 After we collected the coyote we made a few more stands throughout the day but as it is a lot of times in the middle of the day we were unsuccessful until later that evening .We ended up on another farm he has access to but because of the wind we approached an area we had been before but from the opposite direction after about a 3/4 of a mile walk we made a stand in a beautiful little valley so to speak planted with wheat but nothing showed so we moved on to what was to become our final stand of the day I am nestled up in a fence row with a lot of Cedars and small brush apparently a little too tight watching a field in front of me 200 yards deep many yards wide from my vantage point and the calling,begins about three minutes into this set as I am watching out in the distance 150 yards or so I just catch a blur out of the corner of my eye and a coyote is approximately 5 feet from the end of my barrel right to left moving fast I believe he was attempting to go under the fence on a small trail 3 feet to my left .There was hair on the Barbwire that I had not noticed so this was probably his planned route until he saw me and I saw him , I just remember we both must've been surprised as I saw his eyes open wide before I could flick off the safety and just literally point my rifle in his direction and squeeze he bolted a little farther left and cross the fence about 10 feet to my left and took off behind me (hecouldgoalltheway)was behind me in the opposite direction but could not get a shot he could only catch glimpses of a head or a tail through the thick brush.What a day it was very exciting to get my first coyote on a hunt that I planned instead of incidental kills and then to go from the high of being successful to the extreme adrenaline rush of what transpired at the end of the day I have never been that close to a live coyote,I literally had one second to attempt to take him it was something I will never forget!
Well done....but you missed the closing line in a story this long! " AND WE ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.