First Coyote with my new Fury.

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by Broz, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have been hard after the yotes the last few weeks, every since I purchased a new FoxPro Fury electronic caller. I was getting pretty discuraged as I had made 4 or 5 tips out with zero encounters.

This weekend I went back up to my old stomping grounds in Iowa and turned the table. On my 3rd stand I had a huge silver yote come in to a rabbit distress call but he was looking at me and before I could get the rifle up he was back over the hill.

Later that evening I set up with the caller farther away and tied a turkey feather with a thread from my jacket ot a weed next to the caller. The yote came in making a wide swing staring at the caller and the feather that was flipping in the breeze.

I had positioned my self in a hedge row and was set to shoot prone. I let out a "YIP" and stopped him, then sent a 85 gr Sierra from my WBY Vanguard chambered in 6mm / 284. The bullet made a nice pass through the rib cage with about a 1" exit hole and he expired very quickly. The old Vanguard still has it![​IMG]

The red arrow behind me in the second pic is where he was shot from.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sendero_Man

Sendero_Man <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Congrats on your success ! it is very addictive !

there is no hope for you now.... LOL

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Sendaro_Man, You are correct. I had called yotes in a few times before but not a lot. I spent years after them with hounds but can't have hounds where we now live. I really want to get good at this and I feel I have learned a little.

Thanks! Jeff

4. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Nice setup you have, and the turkey feather works well, I've done that too.

Anything to distract them that looks natural helps a bunch.

Thanks for the pic and keep after em'.

5. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Nice going!

6. benlow

benlow Active Member

That’s what I am talking about. I am happy for you. If you keep going they will come. I made three stands this weekend and got skunked three times. I will be back at it ASAP. Congratulations.:D

7. Song Dog

Song Dog Member

That is WAY COOL! Looks like you had a nice look'n stand. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!
    Keep after 'em gun)

In Christ,

Song Dog