My first Coyote

You mentioned about learning from someone younger, I'll add to this:

We can't know everything, we might become experts in some areas but there will always be someone with more knowledge that we can learn from both older and younger. I've been at my job for 21 years and I still get new employees that teach me a thing or two. Heck my 3 year old often teaches me something new about life.

It's also nice that @Hecouldgoalltheway took the time to teach someone something new. Great job by both of you.

Thanks for sharing and stay safe.

You mentioned about learning from someone younger, I'll add to this:

We can't know everything, we might become experts in some areas but there will always be someone with more knowledge that we can learn from both older and younger. I've been at my job for 21 years and I still get new employees that teach me a thing or two. Heck my 3 year old often teaches me something new about life.

It's also nice that @Hecouldgoalltheway took the time to teach someone something new. Great job by both of you.

Thanks for sharing and stay safe.
Bill is very generous with his praise. I learn from him every time that we hunt together, and there is significantly more that I don't know than what I actually know, when it comes to coyote hunting or anything else. I'm also afraid that a streak of good luck has marred his impression of my abilities. I'm no dr Doolittle.

Bill is very generous with his praise. I learn from him every time that we hunt together, and there is significantly more that I don't know than what I actually know, when it comes to coyote hunting or anything else. I'm also afraid that a streak of good luck has marred his impression of my abilities. I'm no dr Doolittle.

It's the good intentions that matter and besides good luck never hurts.

Not a chance buddy the proof is in the pudding we've been successful more than once

You did good . I liked the 120 gr. bt. Noslers in my 6.5x284 for coyote . I ran them with 51.2 gr. H4831SC seated at .062 off the lands one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds. 3.5" groups at 600 yds. and 8" groups at 1000 yds. it had a 26" heavy barrel ( # 5 tapper ) 1:9 twist .

You did good . I liked the 120 gr. bt. Noslers in my 6.5x284 for coyote . I ran them with 51.2 gr. H4831SC seated at .062 off the lands one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds. 3.5" groups at 600 yds. and 8" groups at 1000 yds. it had a 26" heavy barrel ( # 5 tapper ) 1:9 twist .
949AAD23-13FF-4294-B670-C121987412D1.jpeg
I got the 140s working pretty good I'm actually working up a load up with 156 grain burgers a coyote is the smallest animal I use that rifle on it is my deer/ target rifle,possibly mule deer someday also

A LH Savage mdl11 with a 24" Shilen SS Select Match in 22-250. I picked up another LH action today that will get the same barrel only in 260 Remington. The barrel should be here in Late May or Early June.

right on!! Sounds like an awesome rifle. A beater 223 rem for those kick hunts where you just throw a rifle in the truck or quad and head out quickly, then my trainer 223 which sees the field once in a while but it's a heavy build on a tl3.

so new build being sent off is a KS 3 lug actions, benchmark #5 1:10 twist and a Krieger 1:11 twist #5 both being chambered in 20 tactical, in a McMillan htg adj stock and tt diamond trigger. Pulling some parts from a problematic rifle which is being scrapped and putting together 1 main purpose build which I'm pumped for!!

the 6 creed comes out on the properties with real long possibilities

Although I've only taken a couple this was my first one when I was targeting the species the others I have shot I've been while deer hunting. My mentor (hecouldgoalltheway) and I were on a property that he has access to for predator control we set up on our first stand in a beautiful spot well hidden on a slight rise overlooking a field after about 20 minutes of calling the Coyote came out at just under 350 yards paused for one second in the field and I let him have it with my 6.5x84 Norma and a 140 grain VLD Hunting he dropped immediately after a second attempted to stand and then was down for the count the combination of rifle and bullet proved to be a little excessive but the job was done.View attachment 268336 After we collected the coyote we made a few more stands throughout the day but as it is a lot of times in the middle of the day we were unsuccessful until later that evening .We ended up on another farm he has access to but because of the wind we approached an area we had been before but from the opposite direction after about a 3/4 of a mile walk we made a stand in a beautiful little valley so to speak planted with wheat but nothing showed so we moved on to what was to become our final stand of the day I am nestled up in a fence row with a lot of Cedars and small brush apparently a little too tight watching a field in front of me 200 yards deep many yards wide from my vantage point and the calling,begins about three minutes into this set as I am watching out in the distance 150 yards or so I just catch a blur out of the corner of my eye and a coyote is approximately 5 feet from the end of my barrel right to left moving fast I believe he was attempting to go under the fence on a small trail 3 feet to my left .There was hair on the Barbwire that I had not noticed so this was probably his planned route until he saw me and I saw him , I just remember we both must've been surprised as I saw his eyes open wide before I could flick off the safety and just literally point my rifle in his direction and squeeze he bolted a little farther left and cross the fence about 10 feet to my left and took off behind me (hecouldgoalltheway)was behind me in the opposite direction but could not get a shot he could only catch glimpses of a head or a tail through the thick brush.What a day it was very exciting to get my first coyote on a hunt that I planned instead of incidental kills and then to go from the high of being successful to the extreme adrenaline rush of what transpired at the end of the day I have never been that close to a live coyote,I literally had one second to attempt to take him it was something I will never forget!
Congrats!!!!!!

Was just saying what I liked and why we all have what works for us and share that with others as they may or may not want to try them . I have found that for me the 120's also did well on mule deer , white tailed deer and antelope . I built mine just because I wanted to shoot a coyote at 1000 yards but 643 yds . was my farthest one before I retired from control work . I just enjoy visiting with people about hunting coyote now and may or may not have some thing to pass on to others that they may be able to use .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.