Enjoyed my first COYOTE!!!

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by HUAINAMACHERO, Jan 11, 2010.

1. HUAINAMACHERO

HUAINAMACHERO Well-Known Member

I finally was able to travel to northern Mexico, with a friend for a geese and predator hunt these weekend. It was my first time out hunting for predators, calling them.
    The first hunt we made was at night, called in 5 times, and I was amazed how good these calling techniques are, really I am impressed and hooked for life!!!
    First call, we had a grey fox come to us but he busted us before I got a shot, and disappeared in one second, second call, a raccoon came in and I really didnt want to shoot him, third call, we had the first encounter with a coyote, but as smart as they are, a little mistake in the calling or lighting and he turned around and runned away very fast without a chance for a good shot, fourth call, FINALLY, another grey fox came in perfect and gave me a shot opportunity at around 35 yards, looking straight forward at me, one shot through the chest, and he was done (didnt took a picture-I still regret that).
    The next day, we started the day looking for geese but no luck, so at around 16h00 we settled in a nice looking spot surrounded with thick vegetation, and started calling, 3 minutes later I looked to my back and the coyote in the picture was looking at me at around 30 yards, and stayed there a little too long for him, finally my first COYOTE.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last night of the hunt we called for predators 4 times, the first one we had 3 different foxes come in but I decided to shoot only coyotes or cats. Second call, we had a cat come in from the gorge and stopped at 25 yards away: boom... DRT. First cat of my life also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Third call we had 2 more grey foxes come in and we let them pass. The last and fourth call awaked these yote, and he came in from around 300 yards away, and stood behind a little brush and 120 yards away, I took him and he was DRT.
    Very happy with the trip and hunting experience. Hope you guys enjoy the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dskiper

Dskiper Well-Known Member

Good shootin! Great lookin animals! Thank god for varmints! Dskiper

3. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

Congrats! That's one heck of 1st outing!!

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

you did very well!

That was a good way to get started!

5. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Hey! Good for you! I enjoyed the story and photos!

6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Oh my, your addicted now. Glad to inform ya there is no getting over the predator hunting, very nice pics also.

7. yotefever

yotefever Well-Known Member

Great hunt, story and pics!
    It took me a while to get my first one, you sure have got things figured out.
    And I got my first cat tag this year and no luck, hope the next tag doesn't take 5 years to get.

8. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

Glad to see you had such good success on your first outing!! Congrats!!

Man that cactus is tall! I see your shooting a Browning, what cal is it?

9. HUAINAMACHERO

Yes it is a Browning, caliber was 25-06, I was shooting Federal Premium Ammunition, 117 grains, Sierra Gameking BTSP. Worked good enough, probably a bit too much for predators, but that is what I had.

10. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

You did very well.

11. HUAINAMACHERO

Thank you guys for the replies.
    Before I was a member of this site I had almost none interest in coyote or varmint hunting. After reading all your incredible and interesting stories I was very interested in it. Now after hunting the first ones, I AM HOOKED!!!:D

12. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Fine looking game. Nice shooting, story and pics. thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  13. hammertyme

hammertyme Well-Known Member

Way to go Doc! Thank you for the story and great pictures.

Neal

14. Oliveralan

Oliveralan Well-Known Member

wow looks like you had an awsome hunt! i havent been able to shoot any predators yet, but i'm working on it.