My first Coyote

338 dude

Although I've only taken a couple this was my first one when I was targeting the species the others I have shot have been while deer hunting. My mentor (hecouldgoalltheway) and I were on a property that he has access to for predator control we set up on our first stand in a beautiful spot well hidden on a slight rise overlooking a field after about 20 minutes of calling the Coyote came out at just under 350 yards paused for one second in the field and I let him have it with my 6.5x84 Norma and a 140 grain VLD Hunting he dropped immediately after a second attempted to stand and then was down for the count the combination of rifle and bullet proved to be a little excessive but the job was done.
F4A8F464-DFFA-4C01-B790-DA54562AA80A.jpeg
After we collected the coyote we made a few more stands throughout the day but as it is a lot of times in the middle of the day we were unsuccessful until later that evening .We ended up on another farm he has access to but because of the wind we approached an area we had been before but from the opposite direction after about a 3/4 of a mile walk we made a stand in a beautiful little valley so to speak planted with wheat but nothing showed so we moved on to what was to become our final stand of the day I am nestled up in a fence row with a lot of Cedars and small brush apparently a little too tight watching a field in front of me 200 yards deep many yards wide from my vantage point and the calling,begins about three minutes into this set as I am watching out in the distance 150 yards or so I just catch a blur out of the corner of my eye and a coyote is approximately 5 feet from the end of my barrel right to left moving fast I believe he was attempting to go under the fence on a small trail 3 feet to my left .There was hair on the Barbwire that I had not noticed so this was probably his planned route until he saw me and I saw him , I just remember we both must've been surprised as I saw his eyes open wide before I could flick off the safety and just literally point my rifle in his direction and squeeze he bolted a little farther left and cross the fence about 10 feet to my left and took off behind me (hecouldgoalltheway)was behind me in the opposite direction but could not get a shot he could only catch glimpses of a head or a tail through the thick brush.What a day it was very exciting to get my first coyote on a hunt that I planned instead of incidental kills and then to go from the high of being successful to the extreme adrenaline rush of what transpired at the end of the day I have never been that close to a live coyote,I literally had one second to attempt to take him it was something I will never forget!

Last edited:
Congrats! I like you have never killed one while intentionally hunting for just them, mine have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. This fall I plan on hunting for just coyotes.
Find someone in your area that has access to spots where they are and you cannot successfully kill one if they are not there and having a mentor will shorten your learning curve drastically I know it has for me

Another thing that I think is kind of funny when you mention having a mentor I mediately picture an older gentleman passing on his knowledge to a younger hunter well in this case it's just the opposite I am slightly older than (hecouldgoalltheway) but he is very knowledgeable and I'm glad for his help and teaching me, thanks buddy!

Although I've only taken a couple this was my first one when I was targeting the species the others I have shot I've been while deer hunting. My mentor (hecouldgoalltheway) and I were on a property that he has access to for predator control we set up on our first stand in a beautiful spot well hidden on a slight rise overlooking a field after about 20 minutes of calling the Coyote came out at just under 350 yards paused for one second in the field and I let him have it with my 6.5x84 Norma and a 140 grain VLD Hunting he dropped immediately after a second attempted to stand and then was down for the count the combination of rifle and bullet proved to be a little excessive but the job was done.View attachment 268336 After we collected the coyote we made a few more stands throughout the day but as it is a lot of times in the middle of the day we were unsuccessful until later that evening .We ended up on another farm he has access to but because of the wind we approached an area we had been before but from the opposite direction after about a 3/4 of a mile walk we made a stand in a beautiful little valley so to speak planted with wheat but nothing showed so we moved on to what was to become our final stand of the day I am nestled up in a fence row with a lot of Cedars and small brush apparently a little too tight watching a field in front of me 200 yards deep many yards wide from my vantage point ,and the calling begins about three minutes into this set as I am watching out in the distance 150 yards or so I just catch a blur out of the corner of my eye and a coyote is approximately 5 feet from the end of my barrel right to left moving fast I believe he was attempting to go under the fence on a small trail 3 feet to my left .There was hair on the Barbwire that I had not noticed so this was probably his planned route until he saw me and I saw him , I just remember we both must've been surprised as I saw his eyes open wide before I could flick off the safety and just literally point my rifle in his direction and squeeze he bolted a little farther left and cross the fence about 10 feet to my left and took off behind me (hecouldgoalltheway)was behind me in the opposite direction but could not get a shot he could only catch glimpses of a head or a tail through the thick brush.What a day it was very exciting to get my first coyote on a hunt that I planned instead of incidental kills and then to go from the high of being successful to the extreme adrenaline rush of what transpired at the end of the day I have never been that close to a live coyote I literally had one second to attempt to take him it was something I will never forget!
Congrats

Last edited:
Congrats. Cool story. It can be a pretty addicting hunt. Atleast where I am there is no season for coyote so it fills the gaps nicely waiting for the next season. It can be an extremely tough and painful learning curve as they are smart and savvy animals! I am actually just sending off my parts for my next build this weekend which will be my main purpose coyote getter!

Congrats. Cool story. It can be a pretty addicting hunt. Atleast where I am there is no season for coyote so it fills the gaps nicely waiting for the next season. It can be an extremely tough and painful learning curve as they are smart and savvy animals! I am actually just sending off my parts for my next build this weekend which will be my main purpose coyote getter!
Oh yes it is addicting and I am hooked for sure there is also no season for them here in Tennessee

It was a great day of hunting. Bill is a class act, and a great hunting partner. Oh, and he can shoot that 6.5x284 too. He center punched that yote at 350y with about a second to get set, because 2 seconds later it would have disappeared forever. He was cool as a cucumber..

It was a great day of hunting. Bill is a class act, and a great hunting partner. Oh, and he can shoot that 6.5x284 too. He center punched that yote at 350y with about a second to get set, because 2 seconds later it would have disappeared forever. He was cool as a cucumber..
Until the other one ran within 5 feet of my barrel I was a little shook up then and could only react

Until the other one ran within 5 feet of my barrel I was a little shook up then and could only react
I think it was probably closer to 3 feet, at least from my vantage it seemed that way. I was thinking about it last night, and I decided that if you hadn't shot at it, it may have crawled up in your chair with you. It was close enough to cuddle. May have just been cold or perhaps a little lonely.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.