Most Accurate Out Of The Box

Here is a question for you guys in the know Re: Twist Rates and Barrel Compatibility.

If I were to go with a 300 Win Mag with a Twist Rate of 11 and the number of groves being 4, how would a bullet with a Twist Rate of 10 work in that barrel and are they even compatible?

I ask because I like the Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR 190 Grain, because at 800 yards they apparently (according to Nosler) maintain an Energy of 1,407, which is pretty outstanding for a 300 Win Mag. So I would not have to go with a 300 RUM, to achieve that type of energy!

A rifle I am looking at have a twist rate of 11. The Rifle is a Sako A7 Roughtech Pro. Thanks.

My SAKO M995 is 1:11" with 24" barrel and pushes the 190 Berger VLD at 3043 FPS at the muzzle, at 800 yards --- it's 1840 FPS and 1429 FT-LBS.

Well Guys,

After months of research, discussions and looking I have finally made my decision of which rifle I am buying.

My decision was made on the following criteria. 1. Fit (fits me like a glove) 2. Factory Ammunition Availability 3. Comes with a free floated barrel 4. Weight 5. Price 6. Company Reputation.

My Selection is a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Range Certified in 300 Win Mag pictured here:

http://i.imgur.com/ym0vIgQ.jpg

In terms of price, the store I am buying it from sell them for $1,299.00 Cnd. but they are going on sell as a Christmas Special and I will be paying $950.00 you can't beat that!

Thank you for all of your input into buying my New Best Friend hehe!

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Good choice. Like it. Think you will love the 300 Win.

Thanks Barrelnut, I think that you are right! Love the fit and feel and can't wait to gun) my first moose or elk with it. Poor buggers, but it's not fault my that God made them so darn tasty! :)

Last edited:
Well boys, after months of research and visiting way too many gun shops and holding even more rifles I have finally made my purchase! For a Christmas present to myself I purchased a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag on sale for $1,291.00 US Dollars, which is a smoking deal and most importantly it fits me like a glove!

With my Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 the total weight will be 8 1/4 lbs. I will be shooting the Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR in 190 gr. achieving a velocity of 1,826 and 1,407 ft. lbs. energy @ 800 yards, which rivals the performance of a .338.

Thank you all your input into making my final decision and wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Stellar and Healthy 2016 and Happy Hunting! :)

Here is a picture of my new deer, moose and elk long range killing machine. gun)

dEGjOHI.jpg

Well boys, after months of research and visiting way too many gun shops and holding even more rifles I have finally made my purchase! For a Christmas present to myself I purchased a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag on sale for $1,291.00 US Dollars, which is a smoking deal and most importantly it fits me like a glove!

With my Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 the total weight will be 8 1/4 lbs. I will be shooting the Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR in 190 gr. achieving a velocity of 1,826 and 1,407 ft. lbs. energy @ 800 yards, which rivals the performance of a .338.

Thank you all your input into making my final decision and wishing everyone a very Merry
:)

Here is a picture of my new deer, moose and elk long range killing machine. gun)

dEGjOHI.jpg

... and to you as well! Enjoy your present and keep us posted. Cheers!

... and to you as well! Enjoy your present and keep us posted. Cheers!

Thanks FEENIX, I definitely will!

In the spring when I set up my Huskemaw I will post the results, sure hope that my new rifle loves them ABLR's! Would be nice to see it shooting Sub MOA gun)