Out of the Box Accuracy

Not 100% sure but i dont think anybody has said anything bout a TC icon or venture. I know in field and streams test the icon came out at #2 on the rifles they tested behind a weatherby sub moa for best average group ...

4runnerman you have a valid opinion, pretty hard to take that wrong. Used to be, an old fart like me would use a Savage for a jack handle, but thanks to you and quite a few others Ive received quite an education on out of the box, rifle accuracy. When it comes time for a new rifle think about bringing new life into ole betsy

hey Ken.When i started this long range shooting thing(2 years ago now).I knew nothing at all. had 2 10/22 and a 45ACP. I decided that i wanted to get into extreame long range shooting because i have always loved shooting and (not to toot my whistle) always seem to have had a nack for it. I went on Google and all i typed was--most accurate rifle made in the space bar. I was amazed,try it once. What you will find is 9 out of 10 hits will be Savage. I thought somethings up here,
So off to the store i went,was cautious first out so i picked up a Savage Edge in 223-$329.00 with the scope. Sold scope for $40.00 bucks to Boss at work and put a new one on it. Within one month i was shooting 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards with ease off bench and bags. Side note to anyone who has one
25.5 gn Varget
2.26 COL
Rem 7 1/2 Bench Primers
Case length 1.752
Hornady 55gn V-Max

Called Savage on phone and talked to them about wanting to shoot longer distances-They recommended the one i have now as one of the 2 or 3,

Savage Model 12 FVSS, Thinking i had the bull by the horns ,off to my pet load i went.Man i could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. For some reason this thing hates 55 gn bullets. 60 V-Max were better but still not there,Long story short i ended up at

75 A-Max
24 gns RL-15
Rem 7 1/2 Bench Rest primers
Case length 1.752
Single load only(fine by me)
Now im working on eggs at 600 yards with it. This sucker is so accurate it scares me. i don't shoot at any thing less than 300 yards any more as it is a waste of bullets. I guess what im saying is I am Very much sold on Savage rifles. They are not the prettiest rifles in the world by no means,but out of the box i would say 80% of custom rifles can't match them in the shooting Dept.

Just my 2 cents i guess:D

I saw CZ was mentioned and would like to give my opinion. I don't own a center fire CZ, but I do have a 455 in 22LR. It is not bone stock, as I have pillar bedded it, but it will hold 1/2 MOA out to 200 yards on a good day with CCI SV. It rarely goes over 2". Just adding some input.gun)

I saw CZ was mentioned and would like to give my opinion. I don't own a center fire CZ, but I do have a 455 in 22LR. It is not bone stock, as I have pillar bedded it, but it will hold 1/2 MOA out to 200 yards on a good day with CCI SV. It rarely goes over 2". Just adding some input.gun)

Have the old CZ 452 military training rifle in a 22. Iron sights on them are spot on at any distance. Probably the most accurate iron sights ive ever used so im please with their rimfire too.

Oh and i forgot to put in that a local gun shop used to really promote mossberg rifles. they said they could put 5 shots into a quarter and they were cheap so you really got what you paid for... But they now keep several rows of savage on display so they must of had a change in preference over the last couple years.

... anybody wanna talk about accuracy from tc venture or icon ...

Everything that I have read so far in Rifle Shooter, Rifle, and Shooting Times magazines hold high praise for the TC rifles accuracy. So I would say who ever buys one will more than likely be happy with its accuracy. As far as Mossberg rifles, they also get good reviews for what they are. I saw recently that Mossberg now makes a .223 varmint rifle that utilizes AR mags. I was waiting for someone to do that. May be a good time to look into one. The stock looks very nice and has a pistol grip.

Tank

I have owned and shot just about every major brand of varmint gun and I don't believe you can get a more accurate rifle for the money than a Savage. You can spend more money and get fancier rifles but Savage is hard to beat. Once they are shot in (broken in) they are very accurate and consistent. And Savages custom shop can build you one to your liking if you want to spend a little more money. A quality custom gun will run $3-$5K. For that amount I can have 3-4 savages in different calibers. If you are a fanatic about shooting buy the Savage and have a top of the line barrel installed and go shoot with the big boys.

Everything that I have read so far in Rifle Shooter, Rifle, and Shooting Times magazines hold high praise for the TC rifles accuracy. So I would say who ever buys one will more than likely be happy with its accuracy. As far as Mossberg rifles, they also get good reviews for what they are. I saw recently that Mossberg now makes a .223 varmint rifle that utilizes AR mags. I was waiting for someone to do that. May be a good time to look into one. The stock looks very nice and has a pistol grip.

Tank

Do you know what model that mossberg might be. I have no need for it but i would like to get a look at it.

thanks for the link. Looks like a fun little gun. already got a ar15 so i have plenty mags and a couple thousand rounds of 223 handloads ... guess i have enough for 2 guns :D

Yep, no problem. I was wondering when somebody was going to design a rifle around the specs of an AR mag. It is surprising it took so long. I would like to see one that can take the AR10 for my 308. Though it would be kind of cool to make a Beowulf on a bolt action. The 20 practical and 6.8SPC would be cool too. All these will work in a standard AR mag.

Tank

Yep, no problem. I was wondering when somebody was going to design a rifle around the specs of an AR mag. It is surprising it took so long. I would like to see one that can take the AR10 for my 308. Though it would be kind of cool to make a Beowulf on a bolt action. The 20 practical and 6.8SPC would be cool too. All these will work in a standard AR mag.

Tank

when i was looking at the mossberg i found the winchester that took FNAR mags. But its a semi auto. I would rather see it in bolt action cause its similar to the Browning BAR and FNAR.

Heres the link for whoever wants to look at it
New Winchester SX-AR Autoloading Centerfire Rifle | The Firearm Blog

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts