Out of the Box Accuracy

Mr.Moa

What brand of gun has given you the best out of the box accuracy? Mine is a plain weatherby vanguard 30-06. It shot factory ammo .45 at 100 yards with no special riggin. Just curious what yall have had luck with getting to shoot good with no big riggin so i can start thinking bout a new gun.

Remington 700, heavy 24" barrel , wood stock, 22-250 caliber.

Bought it used, never modified it any whatsoever, shot around 1" average 5 shot groups at 200 yds with Four Corners factory ammo (which I haven't seen anywhere for a long time).

I didn't keep it very long, and didn't shoot any handloads through it. I traded it for a new VSSF in same caliber. Yotehunter73 now has the rifle, he's shot alot of coyotes with it.

Savage 12BVSS in 6.5-284 Norma. First three shot group (100gn Ballistic Tips handloads) measured .327". I fired two bullets before this to get it on paper.
Next I tried the 120gn SMK and the first three of those went in to .452". This was a starting load and the beginning of "barrel break in". While I did clean it regularly during the first 25 rounds, I did not do the shoot, clean, shoot, clean rountine. This thing shot great from the gitgo. JohnnyK.

This question comes up all the time here and results in a bunch of opinions. But, I've never seen anything meaningful come of it.

If you have a rifle built by a reputable smith, they'll stand behind the performance subject to the budget/design limitations you place on the project.

If you go with a small scale specialty company, you're apt to get someone to stand behind the rifle's performance. e.g. Gunwerks, Cooper, McWhorter

Or, you can go with high-end models such as Sauer, Steyr Luxus, Sako TRG, Blaser

Otherwise, there are certain models within each of the major mfgs' product lines that are popular because they are better built and usually better performers. Rem Sendero, Winchester Laredo, Savage LRH or LRPV, Sako A7

Ultimately, I think the best of any of the major mfgs will shoot about equal. Sometimes you get a lemon or a star and some issues are easily remedied while others are not.

Regarding the OP, my best rifle has been a Kleinguenther K14 in 30-06. It's about 35 yrs old and regularly shoots 1/2 MOA with several brands of factory ammo.

Hope this helps,
Richard

Tikka T3 rifles are astounding for out of the box accuracy. I am getting .5" groups at 200yds with my factory Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .243. I am so impressed I have just ordered a Tikka T3 Tactical in .223 for a bit better barrel life and less recoil.

If you go online and look for review articles the T3 has a very good reputation for accuracy out of the box.

Me...my Howa 22/250 is quite accurate. The howa/vanguards (nearly twins) are good IMO. Savage good from what I hear, but I've yet to own one. Tikka, same things, althought I've got my reservations about them.

100% AGREEMENT with what rscott5208 had to say on the subject. Sad to say with box rifles it is all about luck, end of story, reguardless of manufacturer.

If you wipe the oil off when taken out of box, under barrel, scope mounts, etc. We have wounderful luck with the Savage, even the cheap package rifles.
Only one rifle out of 50 or more shot 3/4" at 100 yds and it had piller placement problems. Other rifles all shot 1/2" or better.
With very little tinkering most all brands of rifles shoot well.
I have all savage rifles for target and varmint shooting now, must be lucky on all of them. If they don't shoot one hole to one ragged hole at 100yds, then its me having a bad day. gun)

The more time I spend in the company of rifle shooters in the UK the more I believe that custom rifles are more for show.

Most hunters in the UK will shoot up to 300yds max, occasionally you may get a few that will stretch the legs of the caliber and get out a bit further, but not many.

I have a Tikka T3 super Varmint that gives me .5" groups all day at 200yds and 1" at 300yds. With that kind of accuracy why would I want to pay anything up to £5k for a custom .243 rifle???

Yes it will look better for certain,
Yes it may give a very slightly better group,(But not guaranteed)
Yes you will have a rifle to your exact specifications.

But will it shoot better, Maybe.

I have a friend that paid £6k for a custom .243ai and we go out hunting together regularly. His rifle is an absolute beautiful piece of craftsmanship, but I can outshoot him with my factory .243win every day of the week.

I have tried to shoot his rifle and yes it gives 0.5-0.7" groups at 100yds for 5 shots, but my groups are way better.

He has tried changing powders, bullets, seating and primers and it just will not shoot better.

Unless your shooting at extreme long in range in competitions custom rifles are really not an absolute essential, they are nice to have, but not essential.

Check this guy out on Youtube with his factory rifle.

In addition, Remington, Sako, Blaser, Sauer,Tikka may know something about accuracy too !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
100% AGREEMENT with what rscott5208 had to say on the subject. Sad to say with box rifles it is all about luck, end of story, reguardless of manufacturer.

I agree to some extent, but anymore with increased machining quality in mass produced gun manufacturing the luck factor has improved greatly.

I'd say that if I took a sample of 15 factory guns that I have shot or worked on, only one or two couldn't easily be made to shoot 3/4" at 100 yards after a trigger job and load development. The other one or two usually got there with bedding.

Please don't get me too wrong. Box rifles give the highest return in The amount received for money paid, probably even for any product of any kind. A good rebarrel can easily cost more than a new T-3. Savage generally is a good shooter right out of the box. Lots of semi-customs are built on box rifle platforms, a testament to their overall worthiness. If you like your box rifle now, send it to a custom gunsmith you will not be dissapointed. I think that it is a bit strange that so many folks will spend large amounts of money on a scope and put it on a rifle that cost a pocket full of change. There are an awful lot of folks that have a couple of good shooting boxers sitting alongside their customs. Overall the difference is night and day.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.