Most Accurate Out Of The Box

KillerBee

Being a hunter looking for new Long Range 1,000 yard Hunting Rife, I have a question for you guys.

Out of the box, with the big brand names to include Browning, Sako, Tikka, Weathersby etc. are they equal these days, or is one of them better than most?

Thank you.

Being a hunter looking for new Long Range 1,000 yard Hunting Rife, I have a question for you guys.

Out of the box, with the big brand names to include Browning, Sako, Tikka, Weathersby etc. are they equal these days, or is one of them better than most?

Thank you.

Buying a factory that will shoot really good Is a crap shoot at best. But there are some features that can improve the odds.

I always recommend a heavy barrel (#6 or better), A good basic action (One that you can find plenty of after market parts for in case you want to improve it).I also recommend a laminate stock for balance. A good composite stock is also an option.

For 1000 yard shots, I also recommend something in a 30 or 338 cal that will handle 180+ grain bullets for energy's at the longer distance and wind bucking ability.

The brand doesn't make a lot of difference as long as it is one of the factories better grades.
I prefer the Remington's and the Weatherbys, But that is just my preference.

J E CUSTOM

Buying a factory that will shoot really good Is a crap shoot at best. But there are some features that can improve the odds.

I always recommend a heavy barrel (#6 or better), A good basic action (One that you can find plenty of after market parts for in case you want to improve it).I also recommend a laminate stock for balance. A good composite stock is also an option.

For 1000 yard shots, I also recommend something in a 30 or 338 cal that will handle 180+ grain bullets for energy's at the longer distance and wind bucking ability.

The brand doesn't make a lot of difference as long as it is one of the factories better grades.
I prefer the Remington's and the Weatherbys, But that is just my preference.

J E CUSTOM

I was looking at a Weathersby Mark V Ultra Lightweight 300 Win Mag. Fits great, and I am thinking it may be the way to go.

What is a # 6 barrel, what is the difference between other #'s? Sorry I am a rookie at buying a rifle!

Thank you

Remington 700 5R Milspec. They are offered in both .308 Win and .300WM. I have one of each.

Haven't shot the .300 yet, but the .308 shoots 1/4-1/2" groups on average, if I do my part...And it is 100% factory Remington. I did swap the trigger, but it was with an older factory Rem/Walker trigger (I hate the XMP triggers)...So it's still factory parts. :D

I'm strictly talking heavy or varmint weight barrels.

I have owned Remington Sendero's, Varmint Specials and Synthetics (.300WinMag, 7mmRemMag, .243Win., 22-250), Winchester HVB (.243Win) and Savage's with "V" in the model designation and FP Tacticals (7mmRemMag, .308Win., .223Rem.)

All of the rifles that I'm referencing have been previously owned but not abused. Accuracy was excellent with a little bit of lead development. The last Savage that I bought in 6.5-284Norma was new and shot .3's from the git-go. That is good.

To each his own. I only "own" Savages! :) JohnnyK.

No. They all bring a couple things to the table and leave some off. A Savage is better than any of them.

lightbulb+1! They are tops for DIYers with minimum tools and efforts. lightbulb

Thank you.

I have a SAKOM995 in .300 WM that is factory stock except for a muzzle brake install; harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards with it.

I'm strictly talking heavy or varmint weight barrels.

I have owned Remington Sendero's, Varmint Specials and Synthetics (.300WinMag, 7mmRemMag, .243Win., 22-250), Winchester HVB (.243Win) and Savage's with "V" in the model designation and FP Tacticals (7mmRemMag, .308Win., .223Rem.)

All of the rifles that I'm referencing have been previously owned but not abused. Accuracy was excellent with a little bit of lead development. The last Savage that I bought in 6.5-284Norma was new and shot .3's from the git-go. That is good.

To each his own. I only "own" Savages! :) JohnnyK.

Well done Sir!

What is a # 6 barrel, what is the difference between other #'s? Sorry I am a rookie at buying a rifle!

#6 contour is normally .750" at the muzzle >>> http://riflebarrels.com/barrel-contour-data/

Remington 700 5R Milspec. They are offered in both .308 Win and .300WM. I have one of each.

Haven't shot the .300 yet, but the .308 shoots 1/4-1/2" groups on average, if I do my part...And it is 100% factory Remington. I did swap the trigger, but it was with an older factory Rem/Walker trigger (I hate the XMP triggers)...So it's still factory parts. :D

+1. I have owned three Milspecs in 308 and one on 300WM. All are sub .5MOA. Just st need to change the trigger. I would add the Savage LRH as a very accurate factory rifle right out of the box. The LEH will cut some weight and will save the cost of a muzzle break and trigger.

Last edited:
I was looking at a Weathersby Mark V Ultra Lightweight 300 Win Mag. Fits great, and I am thinking it may be the way to go.

Thank you

I am a big fan of the mark 5s but not of the light weight barrels, hence the #6 contours or bigger.

No doubt the Heavy Barreled Remington's would be a better choice for the price and performance,
but if you like something else better, just try to find it in a magnum contoured barrel or heavier.

J E CUSTOM

I am a big fan of the mark 5s but not of the light weight barrels, hence the #6 contours or bigger.

No doubt the Heavy Barreled Remington's would be a better choice for the price and performance,
but if you like something else better, just try to find it in a magnum contoured barrel or heavier.

J E CUSTOM

Was just looking at the specs of the Mark V Ultra Lightweight 300 Win Mag It says

" The stainless steel #1 contour fluted barrel"

Is #1 bad?

I bought the Savage Bear Hunter in 300 win mag. I have a EGW HD base in it, seekins rings and a NightForce 3.5x15 NSX NPR-1 and really like this set up. I shot it for the first time over the weekend and between my 14 year old son and I we shot 60 rounds. He shot a few more than I did and it shot equally well for both of us. Under 1 moa with Factory Winchester 180 gr PP that I bought for the brass. I can wait to load some bergers or maybe the new Hornadys that they are announcing tomorrow through it. Recoil with the brake was very light. A lot lighter than I thought it would be. I would take a look at the Savage Bear Hunters or LRH for sure.

60 rounds is a lot of shooting in one day, sounds like fun!

I only shoot around 40 rounds a year if that, ha. The reason why I was looking at the Ultra Lightweight is because the rifle will only ever be used as a hunting rifle.

The reason why I up upgrading to a 300 Win Mag is because my 30-06 does not have the energy I would like to see at over 600 yards.

Lots to learn, that's for sure! :)

KillerBee- you do not say what you are hunting. jackrabbits , elk, deer, coyotes? the 30-06 has plenty of energy . the problem is accuracy/ precision. you would be way better off with a rem 700 long range in 30-06 than a light weight, or ultra light 300 wm., weight is an advantage. even better a sendero or rem 5-r.