getting the most out of 2,500

Well its a done deal I went with a Savage 338 laupa with the hs stock and a vortex viper 6x24x50 pst ffp in moa. It all came together for the $ 2500.00 . I would like to thank you all for taking the time to share info. At times I came real close to going way over the budget with a nightforce scope but felt I need to save for a good range finder. Im going to buy 100 rounds of Laupa brass a friend will share his reloading room with me untill I get my own set up.
That is gonna be an awesome set up. I have the sfp version of that scope and love it, the glass is on par with our leupold mark 4. You are going to love it, the power is unbelievable. Keep us posted on how it works out.

great choice on both the rifel and scope. I feel that both those combo's are pretty much the best bang for your buck on the market today.

I dont know in this day and age why anyone would have a hard kicking rifle. You can look at a brake and pretty well figure its effect. I guess guys who have guns that kick havent thought about a lot of things related to LRH with a brake. My 6-284 has a brake on it. Everything in LRH calls for a brake. If you dont use one you are shooting a gun thats too small, beating yourself for no reason and slowing down your follow up.
The value of the braks on seeing your hits and misses for followups cannot be overstressed.

I shot my new 300wm which is a pretty light rig M70 All weather SF and I was running some hot 180's through it and I had to ask my spotter where each of the impacts were because I could not see them.

I'd already decided it would get a brake, but that really reminded me of the necessity.

I was also shooting my 7mmSTW which is braked with some pretty well smoking 160gr loads and I could see my impacts all the way from 100yds to 800yds.

If you are alone and shooting at game in brush/trees it is absolutely essential you see your actual hits or you'll end up wasting game or a hell of a lot of time tracking misses.

In the long range game in lots of the better places we hunt out west, it can take half a day just to get to where your target was standing from your shooting position!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.