Out of the Box Accuracy

CVA Frontier Carbine in .50 cal using Hornady round ball, .015" patch and 30grns of Goex 3F. From 0 to 100yrds consider it dead for deer size animals. I use #11 percussion caps from CCI!:D Split 6 playing cards on edge at 15' off hand and cut a 3/4" group at 30yds off hand. Open sights too! Had a pretty good day that day.:cool:

Tank

Last edited:
Hmmmmm----Best Out Of The Box Accuracy????

After much thought it has to be whatever rifle Speedy has built and put into the "Box" when he sends them to me! Take it out of the box and they always meet expectations!

I'm thinking we have exhausted the "Out of the Box Accuracy." We covered the 4 majors (Rem, Win, Savage, Weatherby). We talked about TC, Kimber, Sako, and Tikka. So not sure what else to through in there. The TRG series Sako's are very accurate, but very expensive to boot! I like Howa's but they require a little smithing to really get them tuned in. If you have the coin the Accuracy Internationals will get the job done.

Tank

Yes---I have had 2 AIWM's and they both shot great! Used to take one of them to the 1k IBS matches and ring the steel with them on the Friday practice sessions.

They were too heavy (for light gun) and had no bag manners but for a non BR gun were very accurate!!

I had good luck with TC ICON PH I bought one of the first ones they made, tiny groups 0.26" @ 100 and 2.8" @ 600

New question anyone shot a fn herstal tsr px 308. one at the local gun shop seems to be a pretty good deal i think. anyone know what they sell for used and if they are accurate.

New question anyone shot a fn herstal tsr px 308. one at the local gun shop seems to be a pretty good deal i think. anyone know what they sell for used and if they are accurate.

I know on the one sight I frequent, a sniper instructor holds the FN's in high regard. So that should give you some idea of its ability.

Tank

I know Savage is one hellova accurate rifle fresh from the box but if your scope is of poor quality
don't blame the rifle..
In my view the Savage is ugly and deadly in one package, its no Remington, Sako or even
a Winchester.
but I have seen plenty of fantastic shooters named Savage. #1.

They are equivalent to the 700 customs from the Remington custom shop.

Should shoot sub MOA with decent factory ammo, and with a little tweaking (read bedding etc) and a quality scope should shoot sub 1/2 moa with ease.

It's a factory gun though not a custom so there's going to be some variations and this you'll have to find a load it really likes to get the best possible results, but to an extent you'll do the same with any custom.

Retails around 925-975.00

I prefer the Rem 700 though just due to availability of parts/aftermarket upgrades etc.

So far it has been the Bushmaster Varminter, but I have not gotten my Savage LRP yet. The Bushy shoots sub MOA groups with 40gr, and 55gr Vmax factory ammo out to 300yds and if I was a better shot maybe even further.

well i took my weatherby vanguard back out today and it shot .346 groups at 100 still with factory ammo ... just waiting on dies for it and i should be able really test it far out

To answer the question so far to this day my Savage Mod 12LPV in 22-250. It would stack 'em in there with sub 1/2 MOA all day long it sported a Leupold 6.5-20X40 with VH Recital

I am waiting on 2 rifles right now. One is a Savage Mod 12 Long Range Precision in 260Rem and a Remington Sendero SFII in 264 Win Mag. I really have high hopes for both. They will be here Friday and I will start barrel brake in and load development on Saturday.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts