Light recoiling 600 yard elk rifle w/ muzzel brake

They do make em!
I have found a few SPS varmints in 300 WSM and 7mm-08 for around $550!
I think that would be a great starter rifle, and you can build on it as you go.

A Savage package 270 will shoot 600 yrds accurate right out of Walmart for 299.99 with the right ammo and ya dont need a muzzle break to collect dirt and make noise. Gun weighs about 7.9 with scope.

go check out article section there is a very good one longrange hunting on a budget it will anser a ton of questions . if your on a budget i would reccomend the savage. i have 4 of them and they shoot great! and im not on a budget

My 600 yard Elk rifle is a Model 70 Classic SS BOSS. It's in 30'06 and out of the box at initial factory settings and grabbing my 'usual' handload for 180grners shoots 5/8-3/4" groups. What more do you need? Heavy, long barrels are needed when you want to shoot alot, but for hunting you only need 1-3 shots before the barrel heats up. BTW....7.5lbs with scope is light, not 9.5 or 10lbs.

Carry your bipod in your ruksack.

With practice and high BC bullets an '06 is plenty for Elk--despite all the hype. The use of 7mm or 300 RUM cracks me up. 1,000 yrd target guys moved away from that heavy artillery long time ago. Burning 100grns of powder every time you pull the trigger assaults my sense of frugality. Granted, animals require more energy to nail than paper, but a 180 class bullet launched at around 2,800fps is attainable and will do the job. Will also allow a heck of a lot more than 1,000 rounds for barrel life. I don't even want to think about the recoil of an RUM in a 7.5lb set up--even with a muzzle brake.

If you want something sexy, go for the 280 AI and either a 3.5-10 or a 4.5-14 AO scope. Personally, I'm not really worried about paralax. At 500yrds is only 2". Get a scope from Leupold and have them set the paralax at 300 yrds. On an Elk 10x at 600yds is plenty--afterall, you're not trying to count the hairs on his rump! A 3.5-10 x 40mm weighs just 13oz. The big scopes run 20oz and up.

I had a rille in 280 AI and handloaded for it. Is a great cartridge. Loved the gun. My rig ran 7lbs loaded. This cartridge shoots well with long case life, little recoil and very flat trajectory. But, you gots to handload. Between a 280AI and and '06 I'd go for the 280AI. That just because I'm sexy. Try out 160 grainers as well as the 175s.

Last edited:
If you are going with a savage build I'd start with a large action in either 7mm or 300 mag. Order a barrel in your wsm of choice (should use the same bolt head). Building the wsm on the long action should allow you to run your wsm's from the mag even with your bullets seated out long. Get one of the cheaper DBM package rifles if you like and sell the factory barrel. Oh and before it even gets started you can chamber a wsm on a small shank barrel/action. Savage even produced rifles that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.