600 yard hunting rifle????

The sendaro seems to be everyones answer eh? it looks and sounds like a sick gun!! just price and wieght in my mind..but if thats what u guys think is the best factory gun then i shouldnt waist my money on any less?? those savage model 111 long range hunters seem to look alright, are they??

Let's just say... You will be doing yourself a favor buying the Savage over the Sendero. You will save money on the initial purchase, and it has all the accuracy upgrades you need w/o spending any extra cash. I am huge Savage fan and will always be. They are just stupid accurate out of the box performance. I don't own the LRH, but I own a Mod 12 VLP, and even their MKII 22LR will cut .25" (w/ regularity) at 50yds when I do my part. It comes with the aluminum bedded accu-stock, adjustable cheek rest, accu-trigger, and adjustable muzzle break (open when bench shooting, close when hunting as to reduce hearing damage). I would have to get a really good deal on a Remmy to ever buy one. Savage is my secret lust!:cool: Guess its not a secret anymore!:D

Tank

I completely agree with tank. I have bought 2 savages in the last 6 months a 110 and a 111. They both shoot under 1 moa all day long. To get that accuracy all I have done is a little stock work and hand loads. In my opinion you are not going to get hurt by buying any savage.

I've had plenty of both Savages and Remmys. I have a Sendero in 7rm and don't see it going anywhere. Shoots awesome. My savages have generally shot extremely well also. You can't go wrong with either. I like the HS stocks on the Sendero over the savage stocks personally. Look for the best price and spend the rest on ammo and GOOD glass.

Thanks tank! i like the savage cuz it seems to be about a pound and half lighter than the sendaro, and weight means alot to me. so u guys think the savage model 111 LRH could easily do the trick out to 600 yrds without any after market gitup? And there less than 1000$ dollars:D. they seem to loook like they also have a heavy barrel as well! It would probably be worth it to glass bed it eh? And u think 7mm is a good choice?

Thanks tank! i like the savage cuz it seems to be about a pound and half lighter than the sendaro, and weight means alot to me. so u guys think the savage model 111 LRH could easily do the trick out to 600 yrds without any after market gitup? And there less than 1000$ dollars:D. they seem to loook like they also have a heavy barrel as well! It would probably be worth it to glass bed it eh? And u think 7mm is a good choice?

For 600yrds, take it out of the box, break in the barrel, get your drops, and go hunting. You won't need to bed the action because the accustock locks it down on the recoil lug. Nothing moves. Also the barrel contour isn't quite a heavy barrel. It is more of a medium weight barrel.

Tank

Actually, I just held one of the Savage 111 LRH 6.5x284's last night and the contour does not seem much heavier than a standard 270 barrel if any. ...definately not anything close to the contour of a Sendero. Hence, much lighter than a Sendero.

That may or may not make a difference depending on what you want to do with it.

But like Tank and others have said, 600 yds out of the box should be no problem.

I just had a look at those tikka t3 varmint rifles...they sound pretty b.a. They have a huge magazine, heavy barrel, but the barrel is only 23.5 inches long. Will that take away from my guns performance much? is it a big deal, or is that not to much to worry about that barrels length??

Guys are definitely building rigs off the T3 action. It suppose to be a good shooter and a buddy of mine really wants one. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. I just am a devoted Savage guy due to the easibility of working on their rifles by myself. Just the yesterday I was able to adjust and set the firing pin to the proper depth. No special tools to do it. Waiting for a drop in lift kit and after market bolt I can do myself. Don't need a lathe to chuck up the bolt handle and turn threads, or solder a new handle on the bolt body. Savage's are perfect for the do it yourself gunsmith.

Tank

I just got a savage 111 7mag from a pawn shop a few months ago. The only mod it had on it was a muzzle break. I took the cheap package deal scope off and put my millet on. I gave it a good cleaning and went to the range to work up a load. Within 3 groups I was under 3/4moa. I have a 12inch x 12inch steel gong that I can ring at 1000 yards all day. I also shoot at clay targets just for fun and can regularly hit them at 1000, even got lucky on a few out at 1300. Oh ya and I payed 260 bucks out the door for the gun.

I just got a savage 111 7mag from a pawn shop a few months ago. The only mod it had on it was a muzzle break. I took the cheap package deal scope off and put my millet on. I gave it a good cleaning and went to the range to work up a load. Within 3 groups I was under 3/4moa. I have a 12inch x 12inch steel gong that I can ring at 1000 yards all day. I also shoot at clay targets just for fun and can regularly hit them at 1000, even got lucky on a few out at 1300. Oh ya and I payed 260 bucks out the door for the gun.

What Millet scope do you have?

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.