600 Yard Target

sdeshazo

I need a target for 600 yards that I can easily tell from the bench if i hit it. I looked at MGM but man I just want a target did not really want to spend $500 or $600 on it.
Are there any affordable ones out there that work?
I've even got a welder if anyone knows a website with plans for a one that works.

I have tried the shoot and see targets. Sometimes, they work great with a spotting scope. If you look on the 6mm BR wedsite, there is information for a remote video system. I believe that it is a little more than your budget. If you have the range, the best option (in my opinion) is to build a target that you can raise and lower behind a bunker. If you have ever shot a highpower match, the range have targets that can run up and down. The benefit is that someone can pull the target and mark it right after the shot. It will give you the best feedback on wind doping. The drawbacks are can be expense, dangerous, and requires two people. If you build a bunker please use error on the side of caution. The bunkers at the matches that I have shot in were about a foot on concrete with a lot of dirt in front on the concrete. I guess after writing this, the money for a remote camera system sounds really cheap. Anyway, some food for thought.

Chris

That's easy, just use your imagination...

Reactive targets are always funner to hit. I like to shoot balloons, milkjugs, water bottles, coke cans, clay pigeons, you get the idea. A lot of times I take my kids and they have more fun with it that way. If I want something to tell the exact impact point I use shoot-n-see (or the likes) pinned onto a sheet of plywood. My metal targets are just 1" thick steel I get from a metal supplier and just hang via chain from a swing set frame. Spray paint it white and you can see hits from that distance then just repaint when necessary. Kids love the gong...and so do I.:D

Last edited:
Find a heavy equipment repair facility, such as a place that repairs bulldozers, and other heavy equipment. They will have scrap T1 steel. Ask them for a piece that is 6 inches in dia. if round, or 8.5X11 if square by .5 inches thick. When you get er home drill a couple of holes in it so you can hang it from two chains attached to a saw horse. Paint the plate any color you want (I like dayglow orange). Now you got a steel gong for next to nothing. She makes a distinct sound when you get hits, so you know you are on target a spoting scope is not necessary. I do not worry about group size at 600, If you put a round anywhere into that plate at 600 consider it a bull. Depending on caliber, bullet, grain wt, load, etc you will put dings in the plate, just repaint and shoot away.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.