600 yard hunting rifle????

superlooper8

hi, im trying to figure out what would be the best long range hunting rifle and caliber? im deciding between 308..and 7mm rem mag..? but leaning towards the 7mm. what do u guys suggest? Also is a 24 inch barrel good enough or is a 26er needed? and do i need a heavy barrel or not??? whats a good gun for under 1000$ tikka t3? any others? thanks.lightbulb

Either 308 or 7mm Rem Mag will work on most North American game out to 600 yds if you're limiting yourself to just those 2 calibers. However, I give the edge to the 7mm Rem Mag for performance at extended range.

There are lots of good choices in firearms these days depending on your preferences and objectives.

The Savage model 11 and model 111 Long Range Hunter are available in both calibers.

Remington has a number of Model 700 options as well including the Sendero.

I think the Tikka is a nice rifle, but your choices for customization may not be as broad as with Remington and Savage.

+1 for the Remington Sendero!! If you're will to spend 1-200 more you will be very pleased with this rifle. And as for what caliber and rifle....we're going to need alot more details. Like what you're hunting, and the type of hunting you do because some rifles are significantly heavier than others so this could affect you if you hike alot.

And I personally wouldn't be closed off to just 2 calibers. Look into the 300 ultra a little. That round is amazing and you can pump some 210 Berger VLD's through it at 3100+ fps. But anyways, give us some details and we can be more specific with what we recommend.

In my opinion I would go with the 7mm mag. It's faster, flatter, and higher BC bullets in respected weights. As far as the gun it's self I would not go with a Tikka for the reasons mentioned above. If I wanted a brand new rifle I would most likely go with the Savage Long Range Hunter mentioned above however I think the best way to go would be find a used savage with a magnum bolt face for cheap $250-$300 and buy it then get a custom barrel pre threaded to your savage action $400-$500 then have a smith install and headspace it $100-$200 and now you have a gun that you know will be capable to shoot for less than your budget of $1000. Doing it like this also let's you customize the barrel in the length, contour, crown, and twist you want. Just an idea

I concur with sniperjwt on buying the used savage. I purchased 2 of them last year for less than $250 both in 7mag and with a little work they both shot less than 1 moa. All I did was open up the barrel channel more to compensate for forearm flex and bedded the action and then worked up a good handload. I havent found a savage yet that I couldnt make shoot if a little love was applied. I am kind of a tight wad and not affraid of a little work so that is my 2 cents.

Good luck, Jason

Ha yup "highknob" i do rope. But ya it would be for shooting mostly deer and elk... but if a yote was in the crosshairs i wouldnt hesitate.. lol Ya i reallly like that sendaro, but i need a bit of a litter gun, that sendaro would not be fun packing over ridges and mountians in my mind. i need a bit lighter rifle i belive but need solid accuracy as well. so do i need a 26 inch barrel? this cant be no 12pound bench gun , i gotta carry her for miles.

SUPER- I guess i don't th ink a stainless fluted sendero is that heavy. i took mine rocky mtn bighorn hunting and i do not have a horse . to get the power and accuracy for 600 yard elk: you can get a remington 700 of your choice ( weight wise) and if you can't get the accuracy out of it at the distance you want; you have a krieger barrel installed. for me also add : a vais and a 6.5-20 leup, shilen trigger( harder to install than a jewel or a timney), i still like them.

It won't fit your budget but here is what I am currently waiting for parts to finish up, might give you some ideas anyway:

#3 Brux contour barrel- made by Benchmark-7 Rem Mag 24"

Long action Blind Mag Savage trued and timed and trigger replaced by Sharp Shooter Supply

McMillan Hunters Edge stock

DNZ 1 piece aluminum base/mounts

Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 scope with their BDC reticle, plenty of holdover points in it to get to 500 yards. Beyond that there is either time to setup a good rest and dial up or there is no shot to take anyway.

The goal was 8.5lbs unloaded weight, I have everything on hand except for the barrel which should be here this week or next and the stock. Depending on how those weights come in it should be very close.

hi, im trying to figure out what would be the best long range hunting rifle and caliber? im deciding between 308..and 7mm rem mag..? but leaning towards the 7mm. what do u guys suggest? Also is a 24 inch barrel good enough or is a 26er needed? and do i need a heavy barrel or not??? whats a good gun for under 1000$ tikka t3? any others? thanks.lightbulb
I just saw in the "New Posts" that a gentleman is selling his Sendero SF 300 RUM (BRAND NEW) for $850 Shipped. That's a smokin' deal! And believe me, if I had that cash in my pocket I wouldn't be telling you about it, lol. And as for the little extra weight, I know it personally doesn't bother me, I actually prefer a little heavier gun. However, I also weigh 240 lbs. so what's an extra 5 pounds in my rifle. But anyways, here's the link if you wanna check it out.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/sendero-300-rum-rem-700-5r-308-850-shipped-66525/

The sendaro seems to be everyones answer eh? it looks and sounds like a sick gun!! just price and wieght in my mind..but if thats what u guys think is the best factory gun then i shouldnt waist my money on any less?? those savage model 111 long range hunters seem to look alright, are they??

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.