600 yard hunting rifle????

My next scope is going to be the 6-25. I can see the clay targets I shoot at with the 4-16 but out past 1000 it is kinda hard to see them as clear as i would like.

The best I have found is the Tikka T-3 light in 338 win mag. I have one and have shot it quite a bit to 800 yards. Inside that range hits are fairly easy if you know what you are doing and it has the power to kill anything. I use it most of the time now on backpack trips.

The best I have found is the Tikka T-3 light in 338 win mag. I have one and have shot it quite a bit to 800 yards. Inside that range hits are fairly easy if you know what you are doing and it has the power to kill anything. I use it most of the time now on backpack trips.

It doesnt need a longer or heavier barrel?? really? good to know.

What about the 7mm RUM in this discussion? Where does it fall??? Been looking for the same type of gun myself. Definitely going with a Sendero, and just trying to decide which caliber.

The Tikka t-3 light is lightweight, accurate and in 338 win mag will stop a grizz if needed. For a 600 yard carry rifle it is the best I have found in that price range.

The 7mm RUM will burn out barrels quicker than you can screw them in. Not a good choice. The 300 RUM is a much better rifle. For 600 yard shooting you do not need this much rifle to kill stuff. You can go with one that does not require a muzzle brake and easier on the pocket book to load for.

The Tikka t-3 light is lightweight, accurate and in 338 win mag will stop a grizz if needed. For a 600 yard carry rifle it is the best I have found in that price range.

The 7mm RUM will burn out barrels quicker than you can screw them in. Not a good choice. The 300 RUM is a much better rifle. For 600 yard shooting you do not need this much rifle to kill stuff. You can go with one that does not require a muzzle brake and easier on the pocket book to load for.

I agree with the T3 being about the best for the money in a lightweight package. If you are gonna be covering a lot of ground on foot you will appreciate the lightweight rugged design. I have one in 300 WSM and blew people away this last weekend shooting bird poo stains on rocks at 700 yards...... Its going to be extremely hard for me to grab my 26 inch barreled 340 WBY when going hunting when the light little Tikka is sitting next to it, I have a lot of confidence in that Tikka.....

As far as caliber......the .338 Win would be good. So would the 300 WSM or 300 WIN...... Even the 7mm although I prefer at least a 30 cal. for elk, especially at a little longer ranges.

I bought a tikka T3 for my wife in 7RM. The only reget to that purchase was telling her it was hers. That thing can flat out shoot. Last deer season we walked about 4 miles opening day and she never said anything about the gun being heavy. Her other gun is an old mossberg 800a in 308. Someone cut the barrel down to 17 inches and it still weighs more than the tikka. As for barrel life in the 7RM, my grandpa sold me his when I was 12 and it lasted for several thousand rounds. Thats not bad since the kid shooting didnt know that it is not good to get the barrel so hot that when I touched it I got blisters. Big surprise it no longer shoots accurate.

CLW, My three Tikka's are in the three cartridges you mentioned. 338 win mag, 300 win mag and 300 wsm. All three shoot awesome and are a pleasure to carry hunting. I wouldn't have a problem shooting animals at 600 yards with either of them. I hunt in grizzly country most of the time so the 338 gets the most attention.

Long Range Hunting Rifle , in 1980 I shot a mule deer, and an Antelope , in Wyoming with my then brand new Weatherby Mark V , in 270 Weatherby Mag. This rifle has a 26 inch barrel and a Leupold Vari X 3 3.5 to 10 scope. That was a real nice long range set up, back then. The range to the deer was guessed by the guide to be between 550 and 600 yards. The old 1980 load was 67.2 grns of IMR 4350 , Fed 215 Primer ,with a 130 grn sierra GK . Muzz Velocity was about 3300 fps Old Hornady Book. Vol. 2. This rifle is very accurate ,and Mild recoiling and will take medium Size Game easily at that range . If I were going on another western hunt, I would purchase a Leupold Scope , of Higher power, with the Custom Dial System. This rifle also took a small Colorado Elk the following year using a 150 grn bullet. I have a 300 Weatherby Mark V for elk, but the .270 Weatherby Mag, with a 26 inch Barrel , is a nice all around Long Range Hunting Rifle. Just my 2 cents , Lenny

Long Range Hunting Rifle , in 1980 I shot a mule deer, and an Antelope , in Wyoming with my then brand new Weatherby Mark V , in 270 Weatherby Mag. This rifle has a 26 inch barrel and a Leupold Vari X 3 3.5 to 10 scope. That was a real nice long range set up, back then. The range to the deer was guessed by the guide to be between 550 and 600 yards. The old 1980 load was 67.2 grns of IMR 4350 , Fed 215 Primer ,with a 130 grn sierra GK . Muzz Velocity was about 3300 fps Old Hornady Book. Vol. 2. This rifle is very accurate ,and Mild recoiling and will take medium Size Game easily at that range . If I were going on another western hunt, I would purchase a Leupold Scope , of Higher power, with the Custom Dial System. This rifle also took a small Colorado Elk the following year using a 150 grn bullet. I have a 300 Weatherby Mark V for elk, but the .270 Weatherby Mag, with a 26 inch Barrel , is a nice all around Long Range Hunting Rifle. Just my 2 cents , Lenny
Its all a Question of Mind over Matter; ....if you don't Mind, It doesn't matter "

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.