WANTED: 600 yard ultralight

Bob33

I would like a lightweight hunting rifle that I could use to ethically kill big game out to 600 yards and perhaps longer.

I read about 338 Edges, 338 Lapuas, 300 RUMs and others and get all excited. Then I see they're offered in 14 pound guns, or guns with so much recoil that you get knocked over or have to wear three pairs of ear plugs to dampen the muzzle breaks.

What rifle/caliber could a person think of getting that could take big game at 600+ yards, is available in a rifle weighing around 7 pounds or less, and is shootable to someone that's lost most of his hearing and is somewhat recoil sensitive?

Dad used his Weatherby Ultralight in 7mm Wby Mag on an antelope hunt last month out in WY, scoped with a 3-9 Nikon with the BDC reticle. The rifle was purchased used on this site several months ago and I installed the scope + rings and set it all up for him.

First antelope was 800+ yards, second was 512. Both one shot kills.
Ammo was Hornady 154gr Interbond - factory ammo.

Just an example for you. And yes, the rifle is coming along on next month's elk hunt. :D

Last edited:
For caliber, I would go with a 280 Rem or 270 Win. It's not a magnum, but will give you great ballistics for what you want from 0-800+ yards depending on the game. For fire arms there are a plethora.

Savage Arms Firearms > 116 FSS 270Win

Savage Arms Firearms > 116 FHSS Any of these calibers

Savage Arms Firearms > 116 FHSAK This is ideal because it has a break that you can turn on and off depending on the application.

Savage Arms Firearms > 111 BTH This one in 25-06 would be pretty nice.

Savage Arms Firearms > 111 FHNS

Savage Arms Firearms > 111 FCNS

Remington Mod 7 in 270 WSM, 300 WSM, 7 SAUM, 260, or 7mm-08 would be a good route. I own a Mod 7 in 243 and it is a very light rifle even scoped. Not a big Winchester Featherweight fan. My brother had one in a 243 and that thing kicked as hard or harder than some magnums I have shot.

Tank

Probably the 280 REM because of the choice of 7 mm bullets, case capacity (30/06 necked
down to .284) and ease of loading and available Ammo.

It can be loaded down to very mild recoil with lighter bullets and it can be loaded up with
heaver bullets for large Elk size game.

In a 7.5 pound rifle it doesn't need a muzzle break for those that don't like hunting with
ear protection.

The 7/08 Is one of my favorites but range is less than 500 yards on Elk, but deer size game
are no problem past 600 yards.

The 7 WSM is another good choice in a 7 to 8 pound rifle, recoil is brisk but not brutal
without a break.

If it appears that I like 7 mm you are right but I also like the big stuff 300 RUMs through 416s
but they are a different beast.

These 7mm cartriges seem to be about the optimum for energy without a lot of recoil and
muzzle blast.

There are other good choices but these should give you some ideas of the class of cartriges
that will fit your requirements.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.