Heavy hitting/light recoil elk/moose/griz rifle for the misses

i never said it won't kill em. just said i wouldn't recommend it.

it seems she had a guide shooting backup and it's not clear if he didn't shoot also. also a fair amount of locals said they'd rather have more gun.

Last edited:
long450 mentioned christensen arms. I work for them and have shot pretty much every caliber that we have made with and with out muzzlebreaks. with that said i would recomend a 300 WSM or 325 WSM with a muzzlebreak, i would compar these to a very light 243 win with no break recoil. just a suggestion. if you have any questions you can drop me a PM. huntinfool18

Metau,
How hardcore of a hunter is your wife? How many times have you both been to Alaska to hunt? Do you have a trip to Alaska planned? Does she hunt without you? I think it would be best to be more practical and gear your choice for the majority of the hunts she likely to experience

If you wife is small in stature and already has problems with her shoulder, I'd rule out the magnums right off the bat in a carry rifle - If it hurts her to shoot it, she's going to reach for her 25-06 and dread shooting the new rifle.

Take advantage of the new light weight technology and build her a light weight rifle that is well balanced. I'd try and go lighter than her current rifle - she'll appreciate it and it shouldn't be that hard. Get a removable muzzle brake with protective crew on cap. She can practice with the muzzle brake and remove it for hunting (…it goes along ways in removing a flinch response).

If she always hunts with you then you can definitely go with a milder caliber that still gets the job done. A 308 with a 1 in 10 twist can shoot heavy bullets and is fine for short distances. I'd say a 7mm-08 with a fast twist is okay; really either caliber is fine for most animals in North America if you eliminate the big bears. If by chance you do go for the big bruins, you can carry your big stick for back up.

If you build her something she enjoys shooting, is light weight and is accurate, she's going to grab for it every time. If she hurts every time she shoots it, then you'll be going to Alaska with your buddies…. Hmmmmmm.

TAC

I've been down the same road with my wife. She shoots a Ruger no. 1 in 280 rem (168gr SMK's at 2800Ft/s). It's a light rifle with a fairly sharp recoil for a 110 pound lady. Shooting one or two shots is no problem, but extended bench sessions, pretty much anything after 5 shots, starts to take it's toll.

Fitted a mercury recoil reducer, and probably even more effective a limbsaver recoil pad. Made a huge difference. She feels a lot more comfortable, shoots a lot better, and can spend plenty of time on the bench sighting in loads etc.

My vote would be for the 338-06. WSM's use about 15 grains more powder to get extra velocity that she would never need. Build it in around an 8 pound rifle with a well designed stock, Limbsaver, and muzzle brake and it should be about as good as you can get for what she wants. I've always liked the 338-06 but just not enough reach for me. Best of luck.

I would get her out and shoot several of the calibers mentioned if you have access to them. I think that will determine what you can hunt. On a small frame or recoil shy I vote for a 7-08 with a 175 smk. BUT I wouldn't personally hunt Griz with it.

Certain animals gain respect and kind of go along with hard kicking rifles, and I would put a Griz on that short list.

As for Africa Plains game in an open area such as the Eastern Cape can be taken with a light lo recoil rifle such as a 7-08 Although an Ealand would be pushing the envelope. In the thick areas I would shoot a mid or big bore to anchor them.

I second that motion

I also would recommend the .308. The venerable 30-06 is also not a bad choice but to get an appreciable difference you might have to get a rifle heavier and more cumbersome than she would be happy with.

Using a .308, she will have a very large variety of actions and models and will certainly find one that fits perfectly. That fit, along with the modest recoil will equal much more practice with said rifle and practice that will be enjoyable.

Many rifles, including the .308 will kill large Browns or Grizzlies at 300 yards, but I would bet that most guides would advise against shots that long at DANGEROUS animals, regardless of calibre. Good luck with your search!

My wife shoots a 270 and a 308 likes them both, what we did
is cut open a gas vent system on the end of barrel but not a
muzzle break. Some what like setting a drill bit on the side
of the front and cut two vents on each side seem to work and
no great amount of noise.
The 308 Win will do all less big bear Northern Canada and Alaska.

Here's my take on the whole matter. Sure you can get away with a light recoiling .30 cal gun on dangerous game with proper shot placement. Heck, a whole bunch of elephants and cape buffalo have fallen to 30-06's. However, I sure wouldn't take one on a cape buffalo hunt, and I wouldn't take one on a grizz or moose hunt either. I'm a pretty experienced hunter and a fair field shot, and that experience tells me that sometimes even the best of us make errors that lead to less than perfect shot placement on big game animals. I've also seen alot of animals punched right through the boiler room run 2-400yds. Those things lead me to believe that I owe it to myself and the animal to use a firearm that is IDEALLY suited to the game and conditions I'm hunting in, not just barely enough to get by. And if that goes for me, it sure goes for the little misses too, especially if she's not as experienced or as good of a marksman as I am.

On that note I'd say no less than a 8mm/.338 on grizz and moose. If recoil is a problem, solve it with a good recoil pad and a brake, not by using a lesser cartridge. I haven't shot the .338 Fed or .325WSM yet but I've heard they are fairly tame in recoil for the ballistics they offer.

Browning A-bolt, the Micro or if money doesn't matter the Titanium Mountain rifle in 308 Win. It is a very proven round and can get over 200gr bullets for close dangerous game if you handload. Also I sold my 338 WM once I got my 300WM set up because for the same weight bullets, the 308cal has a better BC. The 308win would be great for Varmint with 110gr HP's and great for 200yard or less Brown Bears with the 220gr...I think there is a Partition or any of the Barnes bullets.

I like the A-bolts alot, nice detatchable mag, good bolt throw and the Micro's are pretty light to boot, put a user friendly ( ask around to get opinions on the most user friendly, noise wise) and it would be a great rifle.

I am waiting to buy a Micro in 7-08, but I don't have the desire to kill big bears, just Elk under 500yards.

Joe Oakes

Well it's no surprise that the smaller diameter bullet at the same mass will have a better BC, that's just a function of a higher sectional density. A 7mm will have better BC at the same wieght as the .308, that doesn't mean a 7mm Rem Mag is a better dangerous game cartridge than a .300 WinMag Apples to oranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.