Leupold VX6 4-24x52

Boman

Has anyone out there tried this scope out? It seems to have some very nice features for long range shooting. Its got a zero stop, 34mm tube, lots of eye relief, tmoa reticle and the thing that intrigued me was the duel bias spring erector assembly. Sounds nice but has anyone gave this scope a good run through? I looked at a 2-12 today and the glass looked great. Much better than a VX3. Please sound off

I have no experience with this model. Did not know it existed. For hunting scope the 4-24 is impressive. One owner if. Vx 6 said it is in a whole new class of Leupold. Is it a lot mire weight?
My most recent scope is SIII 8-32 more of a target scope. No usage yet.

I personally did not have a good luck with VX-6 3-18x50(check out my post) with consideration of 4-24x52 but problem was Leupold do not have rings for 34mm tube unless you go with Mark4 with that say total cost of $1600 plus $200 for rings!!! is way to high for me!! At this price range you can get German quality glass, which is more important than Zoom plus I felt somehow quality of Leupold is not as it used to be!!!!!

Please if you check it out let us know what is the result with using CDS plus .....

Good Luck

Im not sure when this model came out but I have only seen a couple reviews. All positive except fishxhunters. The scope is a bit heavier than normal Leupys but its not heavy. I believe this model is 23 ozs. I've looked through and played with a 2-12 version of the vx6 and its glass was much better than a vx3 in my opinion.

Fishxhunter,
I did read your post. Ill be wary because you got a bad one. I hope that was a abnormality. Also just so you know you can get very good TPS tsr 34mm rings for about $80. And they are top quality.

11-12-13
They are awesome. period I have the 3-18X44mm ($999.00)and 2 of the 4-24 x 52 mm ($1300.00), my 15 Y/O son dropped an elk where it stood at 712 yds, 3 days ago, one shot, 15 mins. before legal hunting hours would shut us down for the day. He also shot a deer at 44 yds in the head (doe). 0830 in the morning it was a rainy overcast day. Yea, I don't get it, but they are the best scope for all around hunting. I recommend to all my friends. I did get scope rings from Near Mfg. in Canada, those are about $300.00 but the best scope rings are the best I've ever purchased. They do need to make more accessoriesfor the VX-6 like a sun shade, scope caps and rings for their own **** gun. Rings are 34MM thats kinda weird.
Back to the elk, I ranged it (cow), my son dialed the scope to 4 clicks pass the 700 yd mark on the CDS squeezed the trigger it fell straight down (Heart Shot) the other cows ran towards us they didn't have a clue where we were.

That's great to hear John. Congrats on the deer and elk. What reticles are you running? How do you like the vx6 cds dial? Can you compare it to the vx3? What do you think of the glass?

Thanks Boman, but it was my 15 Y/O son that deserves all the recognition. Well to compare the glass to a VX-3, I think its comparable if not better, Like I said it was getting dark and he still saw that elk at 712 yds on 24 power. I think its great glass.
Reticles; the 3-18 has an illuminated standard crosshairs. the 1st 4-24 is a TMOA=Tics minute of angle. My 2nd 4-24 is the LRV illumintated reticle, I recieve that scope from Optics Planet or Planet Optics on Friday. That one was back ordered since 11-4-13 not bad i guess. He used the 4-24 on his 300WM for both.

John, sorry bout that, congrats to your son as well. A 15 year old taking an elk is fairly rare. Taking one at that range is even more rare. I would be just as proud. That's a heck of a shot.

Regarding the scopes. How do you like the reticles? I hadn't seen the LRV option. I'll have to check it out. Any chance you live in CO? I've yet to find a store that has them and I'd love to get a look at one. Thanks again

Well, i think its the LRV it doesn't call it that on Planet Optics (PO) but when i cross reference the reticles on PO to Leupold's website that's what I'd call it.
Unfortunately, I live in WA and the reason I say unfortunately, is this state is getting to soft politically, different subject. I haven't found a store that has them in stock either, I took a shot 3 months ago, ordered one and i know own 3 of them. I will tell you this I sold my Swarovski Z3 and i'm happier than a pig in _ _ _ _ with my decision. The CDS system is idiot proof. Once you get it set right.

I think making the scope with a 34mm tube is dumb, its not needed unless you are going to be shooting to a mile or more. there are not many people who need that much elevation.

John, I think you're talking about the varmint hunters reticle? Does it have hash marks on main crosshair and wind hashes below? Either way, thank you for all your insight.

Cumminscowboy, I understand what you're saying but I think it's a purpose built scope and for long range it makes good sense. Most guys can use the 2-12 or 3-18 and never need anything more. For our application I think its smart.

11-12-13
They are awesome. period. They are the best scope for all around hunting. My 15 Y/O son dropped an elk where it stood at 712 yds. I ranged it (cow), my son dialed the scope to 4 clicks pass the 700 yd mark on the CDS, squeezed the trigger, it fell straight down (Heart Shot).

As Boman said, Congrats to your Son on the accurate LR shot...WOW!

At 60, I am a "Newbie" deer hunter and for all of the reasons you stated, I outfitted my new custom .30-06 hunting rifle with the VX-6 3-18X50 optics. In doing re-load workup activities, I achieved successful .25 MOA 100 yd. groups, then went out and shot exact dopes from 200 through 600yds and gave Leupold my ballistic data. My CDS dial arrived (100-775yd markings), installed on the VX-6, then re-shot at the 600yd range...POI was DOA (Dead On Accurate)! :D

My first deer hunt is Thanksgiving weekend...hoping "I" too can hold solid enough to make a first successful LR kill! gun)

p.s. Appreciate your kind comments Boman!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.