Leupold VX6 4-24x52

John, I think you're talking about the varmint hunters reticle? Does it have hash marks on main crosshair and wind hashes below? Either way, thank you for all your insight.

Cumminscowboy, I understand what you're saying but I think it's a purpose built scope and for long range it makes good sense. Most guys can use the 2-12 or 3-18 and never need anything more. For our application I think its smart.

I know its a purpose built scope but in my application it takes my gun from 1700 to 1900 yards, thats all the extra 20 minutes does of erector travel. IMO the 34 mm is simply an attempt to lure the bigger is better tactical crowd.

Thanks Theo for the kind words about Jr. I'm sure you will get your deer. It helps so much to have good optics, the animals don't even know your there or they are real comfortable with you being 300 yds or further. Now you need to get all the other equipment to go along with it, such as:
1. binoculars with range finders, I bought the Leica HD-B's They tell you how many clicks to move your scope they take everything into consideration and they are one of the best bino's you can buy.
2. 20-60 power spotting scope,
3. 15 power binoculars on a tri-pod/mono-pod, don't buy the Vortex HD's 15 power, I am having issues with them not being in focus. I probably shouldn't have scrimped by, in purchasing those.
Get a good bi-pod and lay flat, us old guys need a nice pad to lay down.
But good luck in hunting this year

Thanks Theo for the kind words about Jr. I'm sure you will get your deer. It helps so much to have good optics, the animals don't even know your there or they are real comfortable with you being 300 yds or further. Now you need to get all the other equipment to go along with it, such as:
1. binoculars with range finders, I bought the Leica HD-B's They tell you how many clicks to move your scope they take everything into consideration and they are one of the best bino's you can buy.
2. 20-60 power spotting scope,
3. 15 power binoculars on a tri-pod/mono-pod, don't buy the Vortex HD's 15 power, I am having issues with them not being in focus. I probably shouldn't have scrimped by, in purchasing those.
Get a good bi-pod and lay flat, us old guys need a nice pad to lay down.
But good luck in hunting this year

Check-Check-Double Check John!:)

Just re-starting in the hunting sport, so I've gone real "economical" till I find I like It. Got Leupold Gear - BX-2 for Binos, 1000i for RF and SX-1 for SS. We'll be shooting from a box stand at my son's Chapel Hill Game Mng. lease (yea, old man stuff, hehe)!

Raised my two sons hunting rabbit & squirrel some 25 years ago, then never got back into the sport. The oldest (37) now builds custom rifles and presented me with a a Rem 700 LA .30-06 last Christmas...guess he figured that was the only way I'd say YES to hunting again...what's a dad gonna do, huh! :D

Safe & Happy Hunting to you & yours,

Ted

I have the VX6 3x18x44. Very happy with the product. I have the Boone and Crocket reticle with the Ilum. feature. The optics are better than some of my Ziess scopes. Mounted using S&K scope rings. Hitting 3"groups @ 400 consistantley.Very clear. I'd buy the same again. No question about it

So here is my big question. Does the eye relief change as you change the magnification? Personally I need my cheek weld to remain the same and don't want to deal with changes in eye relief. Thanks. Bruce

Theo, good luck with your hunt. Post pictures of your trophy.

Cumminscowboy, I see your point. I think it could be a chance to appeal to the tac crowd but I don't know. It's not an overly heavy scope. Who knows but you make a good point.

So here is my big question. Does the eye relief change as you change the magnification? Personally I need my cheek weld to remain the same and don't want to deal with changes in eye relief. Thanks. Bruce

Bruce,

My VX-6 3-18X50 has about 1" eye relief reduction from 3X to 18X at full FOV. Not sure if this is normal for all rifle scopes, but seems to be the norm for those I've looked through (S&B, Premier, USO).

Ted

I have made it a point to stay with scopes that the eye relief doesn't change. Was a factor in my missing the chance to shoot at a bull elk some years ago. For me, it needs to remain constant. Conquests, Huskemaw and some others remain the same. Guess I'll have to pass on the VX 6. Thanks for the info. Bruce

I have made it a point to stay with scopes that the eye relief doesn't change. Was a factor in my missing the chance to shoot at a bull elk some years ago. For me, it needs to remain constant. Conquests, Huskemaw and some others remain the same. Guess I'll have to pass on the VX 6. Thanks for the info. Bruce

Your welcome Bruce.

Not sure if the lower (VX-6 2-12) or higher (VX-6 4-24) Leupold variable zoom rifle scopes have the same characteristics as my 3-18 eye relief...might be worth checking with them!

Ted

I have a 3-18 and just barely sold my 4-24 to buy a nightforce. They are awesome glass. The tmoa in the 4-24 is my favorite retical of any I have looked at as far as line thickness and being 1 moa hash marks. Mine tracked reasonably. I have shot elk at 800 and 900 yards and a few rock chucks at 1015 yards. For the money they are great. My brothers had nightforce scopes though and I always felt theirs tracked just a little bit better so I finally switched out. I have the 3-18 on my 221 fireball and love it on there

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts