Anyone own a Leupold VX-6 4-24x52?

Yes, the lock pops out when returned to zero
If yours is stuck, take the cds off and realign it

It's not stuck that I know of. I guess that would be the simplest way to reset the elevation turret.

FWIW here is a simple method to return a scope to mechanical/factory zero. Not sure if I found it here or somewhere else.

""
Stand the scope vertical, large objective down on a small mirror (makeup type mirror works great). You'll see 2 reticles...the actual reticle and a reflection. Adjust your windage and elevation and you will see the reflected reticle move. Adjust both directions until the reflection is directly over the top of the stationary reticle. You'll be adjusting opposite direction of the movement of the reticle to the mirror. Really cool and easy to do.""

It's not stuck that I know of. I guess that would be the simplest way to reset the elevation turret.

FWIW here is a simple method to return a scope to mechanical/factory zero. Not sure if I found it here or somewhere else.

""
Stand the scope vertical, large objective down on a small mirror (makeup type mirror works great). You'll see 2 reticles...the actual reticle and a reflection. Adjust your windage and elevation and you will see the reflected reticle move. Adjust both directions until the reflection is directly over the top of the stationary reticle. You'll be adjusting opposite direction of the movement of the reticle to the mirror. Really cool and easy to do.""
I'm referring to your rifles zero where you set the zero lock on the elevation turret, not the mechanical zero of the optic.

I'm referring to your rifles zero where you set the zero lock on the elevation turret, not the mechanical zero of the optic.

I don't recall setting the zero lock. So my question is...... if I turn the elevation dial back to where it was when the scope was first installed will the lock tab pop back out?

Last edited:
On the VX5-HD that I have there is a little lock tab on the elevation turret to push to turn it for adjustment. Is that supposed to pop back out if one returns the scope to the factory setting?

All I can answer for is the VX6 but I think it's the same. It's set somewhat near the optical center from the factory but not exactly so. When you press it in you can move the reticle adjustment either way.

You can reset it to pop out and lock anywhere you want with an allen wrench and a couple of minutes work once you have done it once. It's a really cool system and very useful.

Here is the operator's manual from Leupold.
https://cdnp.leupold.com/products/p...e-instruction-manual.pdf?mtime=20190528071405

I hope that helps....

How long have you had these defective scopes before realizing they over track? How much more than .25 moa are they adjusting

A couple of them I've had for several years and many trips to the range. It's just something I put up with and if I really want to count on clicks being precise I use a Nightforce scope.

I have a new VX6 here I haven't mounted on a rifle yet and it may be better. Don't know yet.

I just realized I didn't fully answer your question. I've never measured but I think it's about half way between 1/4" and 1/2" per click.

Last edited:
I don't recall setting the zero lock. So my question is...... if I turn the elevation dial back to where it was when the scope was first installed will the lock tab pop back out?
Remove the elevation cap to zero your rifle
If your rifle is zero'd remove the cap with the Allen key and align the cap on o
Then reinstall the turret at your zero and the cap will be locked
If you need to dial a come up, depress the silver tab and dial
Once you return to zero the tab will pop out and the elevation turret locks at zero.

20191017_115603.jpg
20191017_115553.jpg
20191017_115519.jpg

Attachments

• 20191017_115514.jpg
    20191017_115514.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
A couple of them I've had for several years and many trips to the range. It's just something I put up with and if I really want to count on clicks being precise I use a Nightforce scope.

I have a new VX6 here I haven't mounted on a rifle yet and it may be better. Don't know yet.
Out of curiosity- how far off is your adjustment?

Remove the elevation cap to zero your rifle
If your rifle is zero'd remove the cap with the Allen key and align the cap on o
Then reinstall the turret at your zero and the cap will be locked
If you need to dial a come up, depress the silver tab and dial
Once you return to zero the tab will pop out and the elevation turret locks at zero.

Thanks, I got that from the booklet but that's not what I'm asking. I mounted the scope and sighted it in. In order to turn the elevation knob I had to press the locking tab. I didn't do anything else. I likely will put the scope on a different rifle and would just as soon have it at the factory setting before sighting it in on the other gun. So, if I just turn it back to where it was originally will the tab pop back up?

I suppose I could just do it and see, but sometimes it's easier to ask before changing a setting.

Last edited:
Thanks, I got that from the booklet but that's not what I'm asking. I mounted the scope and sighted it in. In order to turn the elevation knob I had to press the locking tab. I didn't do anything else. I likely will put the scope on a different rifle and would just as soon have it at the factory setting before sighting it in on the other gun. So, if I just turn it back to where it was originally will the tab pop back up?
Yep, you didn't reset the zero stop so you'll likely have to turn until hits the zero stop and pops out. Then sight and people rly set the zero stop

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.