LEICA CRF 1600 WARRANty

I thought I would try mine out today after reading this last night. Several times to get a house to read at 1037. Big white camper in their yard and did not respond every time. Houses and metal shops beyond that were not working. There is a big red 2.5 ton grain truck at about 530 and it would only read 50% of the time on it.
Should I call em? We got 3 of em out of their first batch last sept. Sold the other two and stole one for my self.

Doesn't sound good! That was my first one too. I found them really good to work with and i am sure they will take care of you. I would call.......Rich

+1

I agree with Elkaholic, call them. It should read houses and metal buildings without problems, especially if you were perpendicular to them.

With my replacement, under bright mid-day sun, I was easily getting my house and shop at 1533, every time and pretty quick too. I just went outside, and under moonlight was ranging hillsides at 1450-1544 yds. Readings came back every time as long as I was holding steady.

Last edited:
just went out and ranged a black cow in the field with snow covered ground and bright sun at 9 o clock at 1172 and again at 1174 off hand but took two clicks the second time

just went out and ranged a black cow in the field with snow covered ground and bright sun at 9 o clock at 1172 and again at 1174 off hand but took two clicks the second time

You must have a really really good one.

I couldn't get black cattle at anything over 450 in bright sunlight. Tried at least 20 times, starting at 1000 and driving closer and trying again. Only got 450 one time, but under 400 it was every time.

With one like you've got, why would anyone spend $3700 for a Vectronix. Guessing you landed an exceptionally good one.

Last edited:

I couldn't get black cattle at anything over 450 in bright sunlight. Tried at least 20 times, starting at 1000 and driving closer and trying again. Only got 450 one time, but under 400 it was every time.

With one like you've got, why would anyone spend $3700 for a Vectronix. Guessing you landed an exceptionally good one.

Yeah I have never had that kind of luck either. My 1200's were not so hot but compared to a leupold or something else they are the best. We couldnt ever range cows with the leupy but 3-400yds. Our Geovids work every time no matter what but not much over 1100

my first one ranged things whenever it wanted, bright sun could barely get antelope at 500 yards, vehicles around 500 etc, it wasnt worth a darn, i sent it back and it took about a month to get a new one back and they said it was defective, also with my new when i first got it back it worked awesome, a few days ago i noticed it wasnt doing as well, i changed the battery and it works again like when new, must have been from me ranging everything in sight every time i go out, i could range a 2ft dia rock at 1205 yds almost every try in bright sun 55 deg and lots of mirage just bare ground on top of a hill at 1233, just went outside and can range houses in very bright sunshine and fresh snow covered ground at 1580, 25 degrees f sun at 10-oclock its 10:30 am

Maybe I should change the battery and go try the cattle again. Neither of my Leica's (old LRF 1200 nor the new CRF 1600 will range black angus worth a darn). Easily getting deer in open grassy fields out at 1000 and slightly more though???, weird.

This is my second 1600 also, first one failed terribly.

Well, the verdicts in:

Neither one of mine will range black angus heifers under bright mid-day sun worth a darn. Furthest I could get with new batteries today was 565 yds. Tried different directions even (from the west and east both).

Was getting the very top of a telephone pole at 810, and a pretty small hardwood tree at 1013 though. Apparently these black cattle with their winter hair just absorb the laser like a sponge!!

that is strange i can range deer at 1300 plus, wonder whats up with the black angus issue, i will try it again on my next days off, i go back tonight for five nights and 4 off so it will be awhile.

that is strange i can range deer at 1300 plus, wonder whats up with the black angus issue, i will try it again on my next days off, i go back tonight for five nights and 4 off so it will be awhile.

I haven't had the opportunity to sight any deer at 1300, but from 1000 to 1040 on a few occasions...........no problems there.

Sounds like you got a really good one. Hold onto her!:D

Black cows absorb the beam like a Stealth bomber, soft black objects have way less reflective properties!!! Red cows do OK, Charlets are great!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.