LEICA CRF 1600 WARRANty

I thought I had a problem with my CRF1200, much the same symptoms. I too replaced the battery but to no avail. It dawned in me that the lenses might be the problem, after cleaning them it functioned as new.This may have been discussed before--thought it could save someone some grief. Only rangefinder I have found that reads off snow!

sounds like its reading in meters... 100yds = 91.4m... 880yds = 804m

Check its setup for imperial and not metric.

Boy do I feel stupid! I don't just have egg on my face, I have a 4 egg omelette lightbulb. I've had so much trouble already that I forgot to check it and sure enough, it was metric. I just checked my 880 yard range and it was right on. I also ranged a box car on the way at 1457 yards and a house at 1961. At least I got one with some oomph this time:D. I apologize to everyone for jumping the gun and more than that, I'll have to apologize to the "BIG GUY"........thanks Groper.......Rich

Elkaholic,

Glad to hear that "Third time was a charm". Sounds like it's working as it should?

I haven't pulled my replacement out of the box yet, been busy working.
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Elkaholic,

Glad to hear that "Third time was a charm". Sounds like it's working as it should?

I haven't pulled my replacement out of the box yet, been busy working.
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Hope yours works as well. I was pretty impressed with the near 2000 yards....Rich

Im most impressed with the beam divergence and the ability to clearly identify the range of seperate objects that are close together in the Feild of view. Very important feature IMHO...

Im most impressed with the beam divergence and the ability to clearly identify the range of seperate objects that are close together in the Feild of view. Very important feature IMHO...

Yup, and the optics are pretty impressive as well.......Rich

field tested my replacement yesterday, wowww, 1880 yards off hand at a lone sagebrush, reflective buildings at 2k, ranged a walking coyote in fairly flat yellow grass at 958 first click off hand, pretty much anything at 1000 is first click, ranged a white post on a hillside at 1206 first click, houses any color first click to 1600, im no longer mad at leica, hands down bad a-- .

Well, only done some tests from the house so far, but it looks like the new replacement is doing what it's supposed to at the moment. Maybe tomorrow I'll go out with the pickup and a sandbag and see what it'll do on prarie dogs/antelope/deer/cows/horses, ect.

Every thing I've done with it so far was standing and freehand, no dead steady rest.
I was able to range cottonwood trees out to around 1300 yds, sagebrush patches at 1000-1100 yds, a sandstone cutbank at 1700 something, and slopes on hillside at 1500+. I am fairly confident it will range animals out to around 1000 yds without a problem, but need more testing to confirm.

It doesn't recover as fast as the old 1200, but neither did the other one I tested. The optics seem quite a bit better than the old LRF 1200. The button is easier to push, the unit is smaller and easier to hold steady freehand.

It's got an angle feature, if you push another button; it will tell you the angle to the target (positive number for upslope angles and negative number for downslope angles).

It's also got a ballistic calculator of sorts, but it's only designed to give a ballistic correction out to 500 yds or so. It will tell you how high or low to hold based on the distance and a sight in (100 or 200 are the only options here) There's 12 ballistic curves to pick from. It seems the correction is in MOA however, and not inches as the instructions say. I only messed with curve 1 and 2 and used a 200 yd sight in. I don't expect to find this feature very useful since it only goes to 500 and the sight in options are very limited.

Along with the angle feature, it gives temp and pressure. The pressure is in PSI however, and we'd have to multiply this by 2.036 to get station pressure in Inches of Mercury.

I'll let you know how it does with some more testing on small targets.

Real happy that the replacement is working and turn around time was minimal.

Tested it alot under sunny skies today.

The new CRF 1600 does indeed work better than my older LRF 1200, especially when the range gets beyond 700 yds. Alot of times, on small targets, I would have to shoot 2 or 3 times with the 1200 and only once with the 1600 (again, small stuff and beyond 700 or 800).

It seems to have increased my range by at least 200 yds on small targets.

The magnification is better, as is the clarity and resolution.

I was easily able to range deer at 1000-1030 yds on 3 separate occasions.
I was able to shoot in front of and behind them and get different readings on all occasions too. The 1200 was doing good just to give a reading (only did about 50% of the time).

Prarie dog mounds out to 850 yds. Barren upslope hillsides out to 1300 yds. Sandstone cutbanks out to 1500, but not every time.

Don't try to test on black cows:)............I couldn't get a reading until they were within 400 yds. At the same time, I was getting readings off of telephone poles against the skyline at 700 to 850 yds.

The aiming square is where the reading comes from. I tried overlap on top/bottom and both sides. So long as the object is in the square, it seems to be accurate.

We need a cow rating system for LRF functionality testing. Say 500yrds on Angus, 800 yrds on Hereford and 1200+ on Charlet your GTG! :D

I tried to use my Angus setting one day on my 1200 and was severely disappointing, antelope are nearly as bad!!
Glad to see things coming around on the 1600!

I thought I would try mine out today after reading this last night. Several times to get a house to read at 1037. Big white camper in their yard and did not respond every time. Houses and metal shops beyond that were not working. There is a big red 2.5 ton grain truck at about 530 and it would only read 50% of the time on it.
Should I call em? We got 3 of em out of their first batch last sept. Sold the other two and stole one for my self.

I thought I would try mine out today after reading this last night. Several times to get a house to read at 1037. Big white camper in their yard and did not respond every time. Houses and metal shops beyond that were not working. There is a big red 2.5 ton grain truck at about 530 and it would only read 50% of the time on it.
Should I call em? We got 3 of em out of their first batch last sept. Sold the other two and stole one for my self.

Doesn't sound good! That was my first one too. I found them really good to work with and i am sure they will take care of you. I would call.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.