My Leica 1600 B died

I have a 1600 B and have used it for a couple of years now, on long backpack hunts in freezing rain, snowstorms below 0`F, and in the summer where it's sitting out in the sun on 100+ degree days. Never had a single problem.

It sounds like overall Leica has solid customer service, and anything can break. Sucks when it happens to you. But overall I think the 1600 is a reliable and durable unit.

I hope they fix yours quickly. I'm interested in hearing how it all goes and if they charge you money for the repair.

I have a 1600B and have used it pretty hard for the last couple of years. I made the mistake of leaving it on the dash one day last summer and got it almost too hot to touch, I tried it and it wouldn't come on so I removed the battery and held it out the window while driving down the road to cool it down. When it cooled off some, I put the battery back in and fired it up, still working like a champ.

Bob

I bought one last spring/summer time frame from Cabela's for $699.99 w/free shipping. Had been using a Nikon 800 for approx. 10 yrs. Wow! what a difference! Used the Nikon on everything and was lucky to range a deer at dusk past 400yds, most of the time.
For groundhogs I would get ranges and sketch out the field on a price of paper. Wrote down the ranges so I wouldn't have to rely on the rangefinder when "the moment" arrived and shooting would probably be fast. Sad way to have to operate, IMO.

Not so with the Leica 1600B. I have no problem ranging whitetails up to and past legal shooting light here in NC (30mins before/after sunrise/sunset). The farthest to date is 859yds. This was on a small doe (50lb) after I had packed up to go. Did it to see what the Leica was made of, needless to say I am very pleased with this instrument.

After getting setup, using the Leica and Strelok ballistic app (Samsung Note 3) I feel I can put a bullet pretty much where I need to, from 0 to 1000yds, within a few (<30sec) seconds. This is with either my 6.5-284 Norma and/or .300WinMag.

While the 1600-B has a ballistic app, it's kinda generic and not as accurate for me as compared to one where I can input different settings/data.

To rate it I would love to say "second to none" but I haven't tried them all, but in this price range, "it's the best money can buy", IMO. JohnnyK.

Well Got my Range finder in today. I sent it in on the 6th. a little over 3 weeks. They did not tell me anything about what was wrong with it, they just sent me a new one. I guess that is pretty good service. Thanks Leica.:)

Thanks for the update. I am looking at getting one of these and hearing about the good CS is helping me spend the extra $.

Not trying to change the subject but I am having the same problem with my Leupold RX-1000i. I have not tried a new battery yet because my old one still reads good on the volt meter but I have a call in to Leupold about it.

Well Got my Range finder in today. I sent it in on the 6th. a little over 3 weeks. They did not tell me anything about what was wrong with it, they just sent me a new one. I guess that is pretty good service. Thanks Leica.:)

You gotta love an awesome CS ... a happy customer is a repeat customer, cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.