Leica 1600 range Finder question

6x47lapua

I have this unit and it works well. However I need to learn one of the functions and the book isn't clear. After rNging something, I can press the secondary button and it will give the angle of the target. For example, it might say -20 degrees angle. Now if I'm shooting at 600 yards and the angle is -20 downhill, I need to know the correct compensation so I can look at my drop chart and click appropriately. Example, at 600 yards straight line my clicks are at 9 inches. But if it's -20 angle down hill, then maybe I should only click 8 inches. Right now after I range and then press the secondary button it tells me the angle, the temperature and the atmospheric pressure. All I really need to know is the compensation for that angle.
I cannot figure out how to get the unit to tell me this. There are so many functions that doing something simple like this difficult.
Any advice would be appreciated.

If im understanding you correctly you are looking for the horizontal distance in an angled shot, instead of the line of sight distance or hypotenuse.

There are a few methods for this with the most accurate being to input the distance and look angle into a ballistic calculator and let it solve it for you.

The next most accurate method that im aware of is the improved riflemans rule.
Here you would take your measured distance, find the drop for that distance, multiply the drop by the cosine of the angle for the corrected drop.

A simpler method is the riflemans rule. Here you take the measured distance multiplied by the cosine of the angle, then just simply look up the dope for that distance.

Bryan litz's book "applied ballistics for long range shooting" goes into these methods in great detail and explains their shortcomings as an accurate firing solution compared to using a ballistic calculator.

If you have the 1600B model it will give you the compensated range based con the -20 angle. Problem is the solution is not always that accurate. Because you have to use the Ballistic matching function on the Rfinder. Basically you have to pick one of the rifle profiles. Those profiles seldom match well enough with your rifle to provide a good solution. A better option is to use a Ballistics App on your phone like Shooter, Applied Ballistics, or Ballistics AE. Using one of the Apps you can enter the angle as you are entering the other parameters of the solution like: Horizontal distance, pressure, temp, humidity, etc. I use a 1600B. But I do not use the ballistic function to give me the compensated range. I use the distance, angle, temp, and pressure from the Rfinder and enter it into the Shooter app.

If you have the 1600B model it will give you the compensated range based con the -20 angle. Problem is the solution is not always that accurate. Because you have to use the Ballistic matching function on the Rfinder. Basically you have to pick one of the rifle profiles. Those profiles seldom match well enough with your rifle to provide a good solution. A better option is to use a Ballistics App on your phone like Shooter, Applied Ballistics, or Ballistics AE. Using one of the Apps you can enter the angle as you are entering the other parameters of the solution like: Horizontal distance, pressure, temp, humidity, etc. I use a 1600B. But I do not use the ballistic function to give me the compensated range. I use the distance, angle, temp, and pressure from the Rfinder and enter it into the Shooter app.

Exactly how I do it with the 1600B and Shooter on a beater phone

Is that because there are not sufficient cartridges loaded in the rangefinder or another reason?

Jerry

In order to do this correctly, you need an actual ballistics solver. Otherwise you are simply doing the rifleman's rule, which an ACL will do for you just as good. That means understanding the difference between uphill and downhill shooting, and correctly adjusting for it in the solver. To include taking in to account other factors like drag, and time etc. Their are LRF devices that do this properly, but generally the ones where you simply select from a couple of options are not it.

Buy a Kestrel. 4500AB or 5700. Enter the range and angle and you are good to go. This is the simplest and most accurate. Carry a written 3x5 card explaining reticle ranging and the rifleman's rule when your on that hunt of a lifetime.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.