Kestrel 5700 Applied Ballistics

Has anyone found any issues with the new 5700? Thinking of upgrading for the 4500 AB.

In the old firmware(FW) yes. With the new FW 1.05 I have had very little issues, of which were almost all user error so far. We also have an update for the app in the works, which changes/improves features. Just make sure the device you chose to use is compatible (really old devices have issues). If your device does have an issue, NK does a great job of getting the unit repaired/replaced.

Has anyone found any issues with the new 5700? Thinking of upgrading from the 4500 AB.

This is an awesome unit. There have been a couple of hiccups in the launch but the kinks are fast working out. I've used this unit in the field and it is **** impressive to get real-time results when setup on a tripod 30 yards away.

I had never owned a Kestrel or use AB so this has complicated things for me initially. Since you are used to using both, you'll pick this thing right up...

One thing: My landyard fell apart so if you plan to swing it around , run some paracord instead. oh, and I like the coyote color model (or whatever they call that color) less of a solar heat-sink.

Happy to answer any questions so fire away....

Good to hear! My 4500 with AB is coyote and I do like that color. It's been a great unit, but I like the new features of the 5700, especially the larger screen. I had just heard/witnessed that some guys had been having issues with them and did not want to go from my 4500 to the new 5700 if the bugs were not worked out!

Hi Doc,

I have a question about how calibrating MV & DSF affect the MV-Temp tables and visa versa. When I do a CalMV with the MV-Temp on, the system does not accept the MV generated by CalMV. If I turn off MV-Temp, the system does accept the newly calculated MV. With the newly calculated MV, if I turn MV-Temp back on, the system reverts to the original MV.

Does that mean that after truing an MV with CalMV, the MV-Temp table is no longer valid?

Is the MV-Temp feature a form of truing so that I can only true by CalMV or MV-Temp but not both?

Can I "true" my old MV-Temp table to the new CalcMV velocity?
For example (all these numbers are hypothetical):
I chronograph a load at 3100fps @ 75degF.
I set up an MV-Temp table with the following figures:
3115 @ 100degF
3095 @ 0degF.
With CalMV, I true the MV to 3125 (25fps faster than my chronographed MV)
Can I remake an MV-Temp table by adding 25fps (the trued difference) to the MV's in the MV-Temp table?
Or, do I have to wait for those temperatures conditions to redo the MV-Temp table?

Thanks,
Bill

Good to hear! My 4500 with AB is coyote and I do like that color. It's been a great unit, but I like the new features of the 5700, especially the larger screen. I had just heard/witnessed that some guys had been having issues with them and did not want to go from my 4500 to the new 5700 if the bugs were not worked out!

Their will ALWAYS be issues with technology. But we have them worked out now.

Hi Doc,

I have a question about how calibrating MV & DSF affect the MV-Temp tables and visa versa. When I do a CalMV with the MV-Temp on, the system does not accept the MV generated by CalMV. If I turn off MV-Temp, the system does accept the newly calculated MV. With the newly calculated MV, if I turn MV-Temp back on, the system reverts to the original MV.

Does that mean that after truing an MV with CalMV, the MV-Temp table is no longer valid?

Is the MV-Temp feature a form of truing so that I can only true by CalMV or MV-Temp but not both?

Can I "true" my old MV-Temp table to the new CalcMV velocity?
For example (all these numbers are hypothetical):
I chronograph a load at 3100fps @ 75degF.
I set up an MV-Temp table with the following figures:
3115 @ 100degF
3095 @ 0degF.
With CalMV, I true the MV to 3125 (25fps faster than my chronographed MV)
Can I remake an MV-Temp table by adding 25fps (the trued difference) to the MV's in the MV-Temp table?
Or, do I have to wait for those temperatures conditions to redo the MV-Temp table?

Thanks,
Bill

This is how it is intended to work. Because the Temp-Table is the main source for calibrating the MV. You have two work around for this:

1. You can turn the Temp-Table on/off.

2. You can take the calibrated MV, which you see before you exit the screen, and the temp off the environment screen, and make a new entry in the Temp-Table with it.

No, their is no mass trueing function for the Temp Table itself.

This is how it is intended to work. Because the Temp-Table is the main source for calibrating the MV. You have two work around for this:

1. You can turn the Temp-Table on/off.

2. You can take the calibrated MV, which you see before you exit the screen, and the temp off the environment screen, and make a new entry in the Temp-Table with it.

No, their is no mass trueing function for the Temp Table itself.

If I understand correctly, you should always true w/ CalMV first (w/o a MVtemp table) before making a MVTemp table input?

Then each time I shoot at a significantly different Temp, need to do a CalMV before adding the new MVTemp input?

So basically, I could be creating errors if I made MVTemp table inputs w/o the ability to do a Cal/MV first?

If I understand correctly, you should always true w/ CalMV first (w/o a MVtemp table) before making a MVTemp table input?

Then each time I shoot at a significantly different Temp, need to do a CalMV before adding the new MVTemp input?

So basically, I could be creating errors if I made MVTemp table inputs w/o the ability to do a Cal/MV first?

Sort of. It is ok to have the Table, just know that with the table in place you cannot adjust or change the MV. So if you do a Cal it wont input in to that field. But you can "see" visually on the screen. So you need take the actual numbers and merge as a new table entry.

Sort of. It is ok to have the Table, just know that with the table in place you cannot adjust or change the MV. So if you do a Cal it wont input in to that field. But you can "see" visually on the screen. So you need take the actual numbers and merge as a new table entry.

Got it Thanks

Hi Doc,
I noticed in the Accuracy First guide to the 5700, in the screen photos of the Ballistic Mode, there is an * before the MV number (see 1st page). What does that indicate?
Thanks,
Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.