Kestrel 4500NV Horus vs. Applied Ballistics

LRTactical338

Hey guys,

Fairly new to the long range shooting world and I'm trying to decide between the Kestrel 4500NV Horus w/ Atrag or the applied ballistics version. They both seem like great units but I'm wondering if there is any significant reason to choose one over the other. I am pretty sure that the Horus doesn't offer G1 ballistics but I am curious if it's more than that. Has anyone had issues with updating the Horus/Kestrel software? I am planning on purchasing a unit with Bluetooth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It is actually the other way around. Horus uses only the G1 BC's where AB has the option to use either G1 or G7. Both are extremely accurate though and either one are, "close enough for government work". The AB version would be my choice.

Mike

The AB version is much better supported all the way thru with both personnel and data. You can go on about any forum and ask questions about it and we have people tasked specifically to provide support. This very forum has a sticky thread (AB Pro Support Thread) which has tons of info and resources on our various software products.

As far as the AB data library, we have a full time ballistics lab conducting ongoing live fire to measure BC's of various bullets so the data is accurate and up-to-date.

The AB version communicates with several apps and other pieces of hardware (Kestrel LiNK app, Wilcox RAPTAR LRF, and other ballistics apps).

In addition to G1 and G7 BC libraries, the AB version also can use custom drag models which provide more accurate drag modeling especially thru transonic speeds.

The Marine Corps recently selected the AB Kestrel as their SSBC (Scout Sniper Ballistic Computer): MARCORSYSCOM Selects Kestrel with AB to Support USMC

I could go on if necessary, but I think you get the point. For a while, Horus was the only ballistic solver integrated into Kestrel so it had some legs. But once we integrated AB, the whole community shifted to it because it's better.

-Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.