Kestrel with Applied ballistics vs App?

Rockchuck27

Hello all,

For years I have been using a ballistic app, Strelok Pro, and inputting my environmentals and ranging info, but just picked up a kestrel that has the Applied ballistics in it. I like the idea of the Bluetooth connectivity with certain rangefinders though I don't have one that is equipped with that. I currently run a leica 1600b.

For anyone that has tried both, which do you prefer and why?

The kestrel is more field worthy then a phone and if you know how to use it and it's features, it's about all you need (edit: software-wise) for most things if you have the elite. If you have the sportsman, they say it's only good to 800 but it's for sure good throughout super sonic flight if you have good data and dope. Phone apps are good at the range but try keeping the battery or phone alive in the wet and freezing weather on a 3 day hike.

I like the kestrel a lot better, I feel like I get better dope out of it vs the app because everything is down the the meter and obviously it's taking all the environmentals into account.

I started a thread about this last fall and it never got off the ground. Makes me assume that I did not ask the question very well. My experience here is Montana is that phones croak in cold weather. I have since acquired a Leica 2800.com and a Kestrel 5700 Elite. I believe the Kestrel gives real time station environmentals which would have to give more accurate data to the Leica. This system works very well displaying the elevation and windadge in the Leica's display just after giving the range.
I too used Strelok Pro and it is very accurate if you take the time to enter all the data such as environmentals this is not practical in the field while hunting.
The Leica and Kestrel is fast and seamless.

I started a thread about this last fall and it never got off the ground. Makes me assume that I did not ask the question very well. My experience here is Montana is that phones croak in cold weather. I have since acquired a Leica 2800.com and a Kestrel 5700 Elite. I believe the Kestrel gives real time station environmentals which would have to give more accurate data to the Leica. This system works very well displaying the elevation and windadge in the Leica's display just after giving the range.
I too used Strelok Pro and it is very accurate if you take the time to enter all the data such as environmentals this is not practical in the field while hunting.
The Leica and Kestrel is fast and seamless.
Eh. I think the majority of people on here with experience are set in their ways, and the other people think to hard into some of this stuff.
The elite is a great unit. If one knows how to use it, it can be used for your local range, tactical applications or hunting.

You can mil a target, take a cosine off your indicator to add to your solution, add or turn off your spin, and get a to the mile per hour wind reading at your location solving 1/3 of that equation, true your mv, add ammo temp, dsf for trans to sub, etc etc.
It really is a stand alone unit, and a great piece of kit. Better than carrying around a Trimble recon on another note.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts