Kestrel 5700 Applied Ballistics

Have not had a chance to get mine setup. Hopefully there is a users manual that will walk me step by step to get the most use out of this unit.

Ray

yes the manual will walk you through getting it set up and operating quickly.

you have to download the kestrel ballistic link if you are going to use your phone.

I am impaired technically. I will work through it slowly. I am sure there is a way to do the things I want to do I just haven't found it yet.

I believe if you get your gun information right this thing will give you the answers you are looking for. Now answering the questions right on the gun profile is what I am working on.

doing a little more recent croney work, setting the altitude and weather conditions at sight in, lots of little things that when they are added up can mean a lot.

If you mean the K5700 Elite, that has been out for 4 months now. If you mean the combo pack, you would need to contact Bushnell about that.
I'm having some problems here.

On the AB web calculator, it computes an elevation of 2.24 Mils as a elevation of -40.34 inches @500 yards. This is close to what Ballistic AE & JBM refers to as "drop" **<span style="text-decoration: underline;">when input same load, bullet gun, atmosphere</span>**.

On my 5700AB 2.24 Mils shows as a "drop" of 60.45 inches @ 500 yrds??

Why is this drop number so far off? Am I misunderstanding the term "drop" in this software?

Thanks for any help!
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

I'm having some problems here.

On the AB web calculator, it computes an elevation of 2.24 Mils as a elevation of -40.34 inches @500 yards. This is close to what Ballistic AE & JBM refers to as "drop" **<span style="text-decoration: underline;">when input same load, bullet gun, atmosphere</span>**.

On my 5700AB 2.24 Mils shows as a "drop" of 60.45 inches @ 500 yrds??

Why is this drop number so far off? Am I misunderstanding the term "drop" in this software?

Thanks for any help!
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

The kestrel reports true drop, not corrected for sight height. if you look at the print outs like JBM you will see it says 0 inches drop at 100 yards, when in fact the bullet has traveled and started to drop the moment it leaves the barrel. The drop is correct.

You would have started with 1.76 inches drop at the barrel, hit -4.25 inches of drop at 100, at 500 yards -68.37 inches of actual drop with an elevation of -2.67 inches (this is for my current atmospherics, aerodynamic jump etc calculated in. Its way more complex than just adding numbers together.

Last edited:
One can be actual drop in inches, one can be drop corrected for your Sight Height and Zero.

Well that was what I was thinking Doc, industry nomenclature being fluid and all. So which number is the Kestrel giving me?

BTW I am set @ 100 yards Zero in all of the above.

I've been going over this for 4 days and can't figure it out. I went over it with a fellow long distance shooter who is way smarter than me and he is as vexed as I am.

There is a aprox. 20 inch difference but I don't have 20 inches change from bore, in the first 100 yards. My SOB is 1.76 inches.

Important to note that the important number ie the comeup in mils seem within margin of error when compared to AB webpage, JBM website & Ballistic AE

There are 2 scenarios here:

1. I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "drop"
  2. The number is wrong and this is a bug fix for the next FW update.
I have been assuming it is #1 but now I'm wondering if its simply #2

Thanks again for your help.

If you take a look, using AB Analytics, and you set the output to INCHES. You will see that you still get the same 48 inches of drop or 2.67mils at 500 yards. Take a look, when you run it in Inches, it gives you a correction of 48 inches, but an over all drop of 69 inches.

Take a peek at the elevation correction, and over all drop:
AN1.png

Now running in mils:
AN2.png

OK so first off it sounds like the nomenclature of "Drop" between AB and my example above by JBM means two different things. Yours being "Overall drop"...... and JBM being: " Relative Drop" ?

So we will stipulate that once again, that the numbers are correct. I am just confused as to what they mean. A math equation between your "elevation" vs. the "overall-drop" would probably be clear as day.

So if I understand correctly, your "overall drop": would be like if I stood on a platform using no scope or zero, and fired a shot parallel to the ground. The measurement would be the drop of the bullet from the bore-line to impact @500 yards of 69.40inches (using your ABA data above)?

Thanks Doc!

OK so first off it sounds like the nomenclature of "Drop" between AB and my example above by JBM means two different things. Yours being "Overall drop"...... and JBM being: " Relative Drop" ?

So we will stipulate that once again, that the numbers are correct. I am just confused as to what they mean. A math equation between your "elevation" vs. the "overall-drop" would probably be clear as day.

So if I understand correctly, your "overall drop": would be like if I stood on a platform using no scope or zero, and fired a shot parallel to the ground. The measurement would be the drop of the bullet from the bore-line to impact @500 yards of 69.40inches (using your ABA data above)?

Thanks Doc!

Correct, the easy way to see this, is look at where you zero, and see if its reads the drop as 0". Then you know its corrected for optical line of sight. I cannot share the equation, but only this data.

Correct, the easy way to see this, is look at where you zero, and see if its reads the drop as 0". Then you know its corrected for optical line of sight. I cannot share the equation, but only this data.

Wait, I said "no zero" or "line of sight" . You're saying this number is relative to zero, line of sight & the bore-line?

So your telling me that this number is the result of a secret proprietary equation? It's a number that simply cannot be compared to other calculators in relation to the come-ups given?

As a fellow business person I certainly understand protecting intellectual property. I somehow thought this number was a "common equation" taken from the come-ups. Sounds like this number is just proprietary raw-output data. Hence my confusion when associating it with other "known results". I'm pretty sure that what you call "elevation" and JBM calls "drop" is a pretty commonly know equation, relative to the Mil come-ups. In other words in spite of which comes first they correlate the same.

Its starting to sound like I should simply ignore this number. It would be nice in one of the updates to see your "elevation" in inches included in the Ballistics section or range card.

Thanks again for clearing this up Doc! gun)

Wait, I said "no zero" or "line of sight" . You're saying this number is relative to zero, line of sight & the bore-line?

So your telling me that this number is the result of a secret proprietary equation? It's a number that simply cannot be compared to other calculators in relation to the come-ups given?

As a fellow business person I certainly understand protecting intellectual property. I somehow thought this number was a "common equation" taken from the come-ups. Sounds like this number is just proprietary raw-output data. Hence my confusion when associating it with other "known results". I'm pretty sure that what you call "elevation" and JBM calls "drop" is a pretty commonly know equation, relative to the Mil come-ups. In other words in spite of which comes first they correlate the same.

Its starting to sound like I should simply ignore this number. It would be nice in one of the updates to see your "elevation" in inches included in the Ballistics section or range card.

Thanks again for clearing this up Doc! gun)

I am saying, it is not my place to share the equations used in the software. In short the equations of motion are being solved, not just a simple one line equation. The drop in inches is computed using the ballistics' solver modified point mass model. To achieve a hold or come up, as you have mentioned, there are several things that are computed. First, the drop at the zero range in computed in terms of inches. Once that is computed, the drop and sight height are added together to achieve the total difference between the bullet drop and the line of sight of the optic. That angle is then accounted for in what is shown in the elevation holds in Analytics. The drop of the bullet as it falls out of the barrel is the right-most column. This is as close as I will get to what is going on.

The drop in inches is relative to the drop incurred through out the entire process. The Elevation output is the correction factor as accounted for your line of sight/zero. If you look at the numbers, you will see that in some of the instances for your firing solution you will get 0" of drop at 100 yards, or your zero. In the Kestrel/Analytics you will see the true drop in inches, which is why you can see a Drop of 4 inches at 100 yards. However if you change the output units from mils to inches, you will see that it lines up with what you are getting from other programs. When using an output of inches you get 50 inches of Elevation at 500 yards, which lines up with what you are seeing in other programs. Then you will see on the far right, or in the Drop column on the kestrel the over all drop of around 69 inches. Note this profile was not exactly like yours, so its a little different.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts