Just how spendy is it?

Sako7STW

Well me nad my Dad have been talking and were thinking about getting into the long range competition type stuff. He has a really bad leg so hunting is getting harder and harder for him but he still loves shooting. I dont really know what is in our kneck of the woods( were in Green River), maybe WyoWhisper would be kind enough to chime in on that. What were thinking is if there is maybe a hunteing rifle class or something allong that line. I dont think I can afford getting a rail gun or something like that.

So what would it take to get a competitive rifle and what are some good calibers for this? We were thinking .257WBY, 30-378 & 338-378 WBY, Lazz Warbird & Firebird, 7mm & 300 RUM, .338 Lapua.

I think were mainly thinking the 1000 yard type stuff. Originally he was thinking of getting a .220 swift just to mess with and I told him,"What for? They cant even be used on game here, why not do something we can compete in and have some fun with while having a rifle we could use in the feild too."

So what does it take to get started and what kind of costs are involved?

Thanks

Sako,

I put together a target gun in 6.5/284 this past year on an remington 700 action, I had the action lying around sent it to pac-nor to get trued and a barrel put on, i got a stock from richards microfit, did the bedding my self, fujinon scope, redding comp dies, sinclair rest,jewel 2oz trigger and alot of extra reloading equitment, I think i have around 1900 into this set up, Although this gun shots very good i dont think its going to come close to most of the more expensive full blow custom guns, but it is going to be a great learing gun. To get one of these custom rifles its going to cost at least 2,000 and with all the stuff needed to go with it your looking around $3500.

Good Shootin,
Brian

[ 02-20-2004: Message edited by: Brian Rybicky ]

You might be able to stretch your $ by getting a used bench rest rifle and rebarreling it. As Brian said, then there are the expenses of reloading tools and education. Got to have bench rest quality ammo as well. You might check gunsamerica.com, gunbroker.com, ads in Precision Shooting and Varmint Hunter magazines. This would also make a great prairie dog gun. Where in Wyo. are you? I am planning a long weekend trip up there as soon as the weather is pleasant and the 'dogs are up. Any suggestions on where to go?

Brad, I live in Green River, which is in the SW corner of the state. There are some dogs around here but I dont know where any really good towns are. Not where you could set up and do shooting all day.

I already have alot of the reloading stuff and all of it is in like new shape so just some of the guages and new dies is all that we would need.

The Money for the rifle isnt much of a concern. If it is 5K or 7K for a top notch rig then so be it. We want to be competitive so it has to be good, really good. I am a perfectionist at heart so the reloading thing fits my bill perfectly. I think the practicing would be fun as well.

The problem is we have noone here that we know of that does this kind of shooting to go to to learn and BS with so thus the reason I turned here.

Hmm... all of the PD towns I know of are in the Casper area or Badlands.. I don't know of any 1000 yard ranges in that neck of the woods either.. There may be some 1K ranges in Idaho, Colorado or Utah though, not sure...

I gotta thnk that near S/central Wyo there has to be some dog towns worth shooting over..

the 6.5/284 is really popular.. but my theory is that the .30 cal. just have more thump to 'em.. I would look into the 300 WM or 300WSM and be able to use it for LR Antelope or Mule Deer.. just set up on the high desert and you and you dad can hunt as a team ....

You can spen as much as ya like. There is always some thing else to buy or try when ya get into this.
My Hobie costs
300 for a Krieger Barel
350 for a NON inletted Master 1000 stock
1200 for a Bat action
60 for Bat Tappered baces
50 for rings.
800 for a leuplod scope
225 for Jewel trigger
Plus Barrel instilation chambering and brake
instilation, stock inletting, Piller bedding, Ring brace modification, Then, New cleaning rod, Brushes,
Big eyes, ultimate tripod, rear bag,Dounut, front rest, Brass, powder bullets,
Ah heck I lost track of the money But I'm having the time of my life.
grin.gif

Oh yea and that doesn'r include the second gun
shocked.gif

[ 02-21-2004: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]

Sako7stw
There was a good gunsmith in Rawlins a few years ago and I'm sure he is still there, because he had a shop next door to his house.
I can't remember his name but you might want to check him out. There was a little grochery store in front of the shop on a back street.

You might check with Wyowhisper he LIKES his smith (Chris)and could get you started in the right direction or maybe have a used gun to purchase.

Check the classified section also, just be sure what you want first, and be careful there are some real jokers out there!

Even a good deal is NOT good if thats not what you wanted!

CAM

Sako,

There's one other thing that was not mentioned, you can see it in baldeagle713's picture post...yea that's right, a 4X4 pickup to haul everything around in...Let's see that will add about $35,000...offroad tires $1000...Topper $1500...Boy isn't this fun?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

db

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>There's one other thing that was not mentioned, you can see it in baldeagle713's picture post...yea that's right, a 4X4 pickup to haul everything around in...Let's see that will add about $35,000...offroad tires $1000...Topper $1500...Boy isn't this fun?

db

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tell me about it.....You should see my Wrangler loaded down
shocked.gif

Boyd,

Didn't know you could get everything in a Jeep, do you pull a trailer?
grin.gif

Nice looking outfit. Is baldeagles' outfit an auto, don't see no bolt?
grin.gif

How do you get that chrony to work with the barrel sticking through it?
confused.gif

db

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>How do you get that chrony to work with the barrel sticking through it?

db

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Kinda looks that way does'nt it...
grin.gif
Thats Bald Eagles two bench's down from me...
grin.gif
Put everything inside.Good thing I'm a small guy.Cause I would'nt fit
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.