I’d like to restock a model 70, not as many options as 700’s and clones.

droptine

Couple years back I picked up a used model 70, 7mm WSM for a good price. Came with a cheap Nikon that clear as a bell. I'll buy a freight train if the price is right lol. It came in a Tupperware Win Shadow stock, no floor plate. I picked up a Hogue and floor plate for cheap. It shot pretty good for no more effort that I put into it.

I'm thinking of putting it in another stock. Not as many options as 700's, clones. B&C, HS, Boyd's and Hogue I'd guess are options. I may put it in a Boyd's prairie hunter, sponge paint, Texture and spider paint it. If I got a Boyd's it would be easy to bed.

A Grayboe Terrain in Gap Splash Camo would have been nice. But they don't do Wins as far as I know and they discontinued the Terrain. I need to keep locking around online. A B&C in Weatherby pattern might be nice if they make one for a short action win.

7 WSM is a good round and ain't no flies on a old Model 70.

I have HS-Precision Classic Sporter on all of my Win Model 70's except my EW's that have the B&C from the factory on it.
The B&C is nice, but not up to par with the HS-Precision, these feel stronger in every way.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I might stiffen up the 50 dollar Hogue it's in and be done with it. I took the flex out of a Ramline that came on a Weatherby Vanguard I bought in the late 70's. Should be able to do the same on this hogue. With my big hands I like the feel of the Hogue stocks, but they do appear flex. The bedding block ones shoot good but I doubt a guy could put a bipod on one with the forearm flex. I've never tried to mount a bipod.
Stockys announced one is on the way
Kelly1, thanks commenting on Stockys, I didn't know.

I may give Stockys a call next week and get the skinny.

Thanks Billy

I have a couple heavy barreled M70s in McMillan A3s, been shooting them for 20+ years and very happy. Couple years ago I bought a used Stainless Classic Sporter in .300 WinMag with the black Tupperware stock, dropped it in a B&C and she shoots Barnes 180TSX about .5 MOA, not as sexy as a McM but way cheaper and pretty dang happy.

I have a couple heavy barreled M70s in McMillan A3s, been shooting them for 20+ years and very happy. Couple years ago I bought a used Stainless Classic Sporter in .300 WinMag with the black Tupperware stock, dropped it in a B&C and she shoots Barnes 180TSX about .5 MOA, not as sexy as a McM but way cheaper and pretty dang happy.

So Marc, how much heavier in round figures, is the B&C over the "tupperware" stock.

It's for my wife, and would like to keep the weight pretty similar to where we are now. memtb

I'm not at home now so can't weigh them but I'd guess they'll come in between 24-27 ounces with paint, pad, studs.

I'll have to attempt to weight the present stock. She doesn't want to spend the money for a new stock, but I'd really like to see her with a better stock and shrink her group sizes a bit……hell, maybe a bunch! memtb

It's definitely a bit heavier, but not sure how how much. Still have the Tupperware stock I think, I can weigh it when I get home and figure the difference.

I really appreciate that! The B&C's are definitely affordable! While she does real good with it as is……I know that it can be improved upon! memtb