Winchester Model 70 clone actions

Jeff In TX

Other than the Model 1999 Montana short action does anyone else make a Win Model 70 clone action.

My next project is a .243 win LH Model 70 featherweight and I'm looking for LH model 70 action to work from. All of the LH Win Model 70 actions have been based on the WSM calibers and I've been told the bolt face can't be changed to fit a standard .243. Now if the bolt face can be re-done to fit the standard .243 that opens a lot of options.

If there's another model 70 clone that anyone knows of I'm all ears.

Any thoughts?

I think you're better off buying a donor rifle with the desired bolt face and selling off the barrel and stock. As a fellow lefty I know how difficult it is to find a left handed action; all but one of my rifles are right handed which is actually good for bench shooting but lousy for off handed shots when hunting.

Reviews are mixed on these actions and they are pretty pricey.
Model 1999 Montana Short Actions

TAC

I think you're better off buying a donor rifle with the desired bolt face and selling off the barrel and stock. As a fellow lefty I know how difficult it is to find a left handed action; all but one of my rifles are right handed which is actually good for bench shooting but lousy for off handed shots when hunting.

Reviews are mixed on these actions and they are pretty pricey.
Model 1999 Montana Short Actions

TAC

TAC,

The montana actions are actually cast and not machined. I don't know enough about casting process to say if this is good/bad or indifferent when it comes to actions. I've heard and read very good and very poor reviews about them and they are pricey. I know a couple of top builders who have already told me they wouldn't build the rifle I want if that's the action I want to use. That why I'm looking for another option.

I'd hate to invest that much money to find out I've got a poor quality action.

I could easily find a LH Win Model 70 rifle to work from as it would solve a lot of my problems. The issue is all LH Model 70's came in WSM calibers. I've been told the bolt face can't be changed or modified to fit a standard .243.

If someone knows anyone who can convert a WSM bolt face I'd like to know.

Thanks,

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.