Question about Rem "700 AS" stock

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by aroshtr, Jan 10, 2008.

1. aroshtr

aroshtr Well-Known Member

I am looking to build up a custom remington 700. I have been looking for used guns (magnum bolt face) that have stocks capable of a good pillar bedding job. I have trying to find a laminated stock model like the LS or the LSS. My question is....

I found a Rem 700 "AS". They were built from 1989-1991. The stock is supposed to be an acrylic epoxy fiberglass resin called Arylon. Is anyone familiar with the stock? Is it actually a decent stock to work with? OR, is it just another cheap "plastic" molded stock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

aroshtr, I have a LSS stock that I would get rid of. It is a RH LA and has been opened up for a #7 Lilja taper. It has been pillar bedded. No bottom metal.

No idea on the "as" stock.

3. aroshtr

aroshtr Well-Known Member

Thanks MagMan. I will be using a #5 barrel, so it might be opend up a little too much. However, a lot of clearance never hurt anything but looks.... I have been looking for a complete gun with the lam. stock, just because it seems that used Rem gun prices are about the same no matter which stock is on it. So I might as well look for one with a "free" stock that I can use instead of having to throw the walnut one away.

P.S. MagMan check you PM's.