question about E.R.Shaw

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by fasthorse, Dec 18, 2011.

1. fasthorse

fasthorse Active Member

has anyone from LRH used E.R.Shaw for barrels and or gunsmithing ?? I have read many articals about them and know they are reputable , But again im asking for opinions and who best to ask than a bunch of gun nuts:D

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I used a chrome molly version for a 6-284 once. It was ok, but not steller. I have not bought another as I have became very fond of Hart and Broughtons.

Jeff

3. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

Agree with Jeff! I had one on a 6.5 A.I. and it was "ok". For the little savings in initial cost, get a good barrel.....Rich

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

IMO they are better than most factory barrels but not as good as the premium custom barrels.

I have had very good luck with Lilja, Kriger, Hart, Brux, Shillen and Broughton.

The barrel is not the place to save money, a poor quality barrel will end up costing you
    much more.

This is just my opinion and in no way intended to poor mouth E R Shaw. A lot of people
    are happy with them.

J E CUSTOM

5. fasthorse

fasthorse Active Member

thanks for the info guys

6. fasthorse

fasthorse Active Member

im thinkin of rebarreling a fn mauser action made in belgium into either a 6.5/06ai or a .280ai improved..opinions on either ?

7. elkaholic

Both good choices but a Sherman will give you more horsepower in either with the same case.......Rich

8. fasthorse

fasthorse Active Member

whats the info on a sherman ??? parent case etc ??

9. elkaholic

There have been a few threads on the forum where this was talked about but in a nutshell, it is the same case as the A.I. based on the .270 or .280. The body has less taper, the shoulder moved forward and maintains the 40 degree angle. It has a good neck length (.300") in the 6.5). Case capacity is increased by 11% over a std. .270/.280 case and is about 4% greater than a 6.5 A.I. Accuracy is very good and velocity is the most you can get out of a .470" case size. Barrel life is also very good. I have 1300 rounds thru mine and can see no loss in accuracy as yet. Case forming is not difficult and Hornady has the spec for custom dies. I have the reamer.......Rich