Hornady, New Long Range Offering

Ok I have some questions.

Why would you want the 220 grain 30 cal when the 212 grain has a higher BC?

Why did they not make a hunting version of the 338 bullet?

No love for 270?

Are the Match bullets the same but with a thinner jacket?
Phorwath did a very good job of addressing most of your questions so I'll just aim for those he didn't.

With a new product launch they are just going to aim for the calibers where they can get the biggest and quickest return on their investment first. Without a doubt the 7mm and .30 cal's are the most popular so that's the sensible place for them to start.

I suspect we'll see over the next year more offerings in .270 and .338.

Hornady is also investing quite a pile in factory ammo for these bullets with a new precision line that should help them to take off.

I've always been a fan of their bullets and with the consistency of their factory ammo so I'm a pretty happy camper. Basically this looks to be an improved and higher bc version of the interbond combined with a cannelure so they should perform great on game.

I think the 212 and 220gr offerings will give the big cased 30's like the Rum and Wby a chance to really shine and since I own several 300 Rum's i'm looking forward to giving them a ride.

When I go back to Africa hopefully in 2017 I am planning to take one of my 7mm STW's and one of the Rum's and it'll be nice having 20 months or so to play around with some new loads and bullets before I go.

Since Perigrine now is expanding into the US market as well we've got more choices for good quality bullets for heavy bodied/boned game than we've every had so it's a really exciting time to be a long range hunter.

When I look at how much the industry has changed just over the last decade and a half with all the new gear specifically developed for us I'm just amazed.

I did notice the difference in shape between the 212 and 220 grain bullets but I couldn't figure out why they would do that. Thanks for the explanation, Bullseye, it all makes sense now!

Looking at the "Match" offerings it looks like they've just taken the A-max bullet and put on the new tip.

WildRose, thanks for the info and hopefully we do see some additional calibers becoming available in the future. .270 is a hard one for manufacturers of long range bullets because of all the 10 twist barrels out there. I think a 140 grain bullet with a BC around .540-.550 would be very achievable and would work great in the 10-twists. Even a 150 grain with similar BC would probably stabilize well enough. In 338 caliber the 285 grain is such a nice weight, hopefully they'll come out with the controlled expansion version. Yes, I think I'll have to try these bullets since I've had good luck with the A-max so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.