Hornady, New Long Range Offering

WildRose

Some of us who have over the years come to love the Hornady bullets have been a bit irritated by finding again and again this year that the bullets we wanted were "temporarily suspended".

I mentioned a week or so back to someone on another site that I suspected the reason was because they were about to unveil something new and they were just trying to build up enough of a back stock.

Well it looks like I was right! Indeed as some of us have hoped they are unveiling a line of bullets specific for Long Range Hunting and here it is.

[ame]https://youtu.be/Bpan-7vTqes[/ame]

Hornady's ABLR

I hope it lives up to the video's promises. It looks great at first glance, hopefully it won't suffer the pitfalls that the nosler ABLR exhibited after people started actually shooting them. I also hope Hornady has the foresight to actually have the ability to produce sufficient numbers of them once they're launched unlike Nosler where it took two years from launch before people could actually get their hands on them.

They're certainly a welcome addition to the marketplace. Let's get guys shooting them and see how they work!

Excited to see if this is the improved AMAX we have been waiting for.
Looks like half the delay was in coming up with the marketing and script for the video.

They were on Long Long Pursuit tv show last month, but I don't think they mention the caliber they were using. I only caught the last half of the show. I wish they would just re- introduce the 7mm 162 gr Aluminum Tip National Match bullet. I have 200 bullet left and they are truly devastating on whitetails at long range. My longest shot with bullet is 1100 ys on a deer with my 7 mag. Going for 1200 yds next month.

Looks like an A-Max with a different polymer for the tip. It's going to change everything!

There are two new bullets. The ELD-X is a hunting bullet, built from the ground up to be an all-range bullet. It expands at lower velocities than A-Max's and has a thick shank for high velocity impacts. More details are in the whitepaper below.

The ELD Match bullet is like the A-Max with the new tip. The 6.5 140gr A-Max had a 200 yard BC of .585. Turned out, 800 yard ave radar BC's were really .545 with the tip deformation that happened in flight. With the new tip, the 800 yard ave radar BC is .610 - that's a great change!

Interestingly, you might expect the 800 yard ave to be .585, like the traditional 200 yard BC. Turns out, the tip issue was already affecting that bullet at 200 yards.

Every manufactures polymer tips are deforming. TMK, ABLR etc...

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/resources/ELD-X_ELD-Match_Technical_Details.pdf

There are two new bullets. The ELD-X is a hunting bullet, built from the ground up to be an all-range bullet. It expands at lower velocities than A-Max's and has a thick shank for high velocity impacts. More details are in the whitepaper below.

The ELD Match bullet is like the A-Max with the new tip. The 6.5 140gr A-Max had a 200 yard BC of .585. Turned out, 800 yard ave radar BC's were really .545 with the tip deformation that happened in flight. With the new tip, the 800 yard ave radar BC is .610 - that's a great change!

Interestingly, you might expect the 800 yard ave to be .585, like the traditional 200 yard BC. Turns out, the tip issue was already affecting that bullet at 200 yards.

Every manufactures polymer tips are deforming. TMK, ABLR etc...

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/resources/ELD-X_ELD-Match_Technical_Details.pdf

Nice read. Thanks for the link.

Hornady's ABLR

I hope it lives up to the video's promises. It looks great at first glance, hopefully it won't suffer the pitfalls that the nosler ABLR exhibited after people started actually shooting them. I also hope Hornady has the foresight to actually have the ability to produce sufficient numbers of them once they're launched unlike Nosler where it took two years from launch before people could actually get their hands on them.

They're certainly a welcome addition to the marketplace. Let's get guys shooting them and see how they work!

I haven't shot the ABLR, sounds like I don't want to!

What issues have been experienced? I've been out of the loop a while!

I haven't shot the ABLR, sounds like I don't want to!

What issues have been experienced? I've been out of the loop a while!

Nosler doesn't want to sell them. I think it's now been a couple years since they've been "out" and they're still fairly unavailable. It doesn't make any sense to go to the time and expense of developing a load with components you can't buy when you need them. As far as performance, from what I've read, it's about 50/50. Must be some sort of evil plan for a bait and switch to a Nosler Partition which wouldn't be so bad if you could buy those regularly. Oh well... out of chaos arises opportunity.

Gunwerks has been testing them for a while now. You can call them and see what you think, however, since Hornady is one of their sponsors, I'm not certain you'll get a purely unbiased report.

Yeah, they'll probably be the neatest bullets since sliced bread, as long as Nosler is a paying sponsor.

No way did I really just type that. My bad! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.